For anyone near the US/Canada border interested in a clinical trial with IV Vitamin C infusions

Hissy_Fitz
Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
I have no idea whether or not there is any cost associated with this trial, but for those who are not in remission, and would be interested in Vit C infusions, but have been deterred by the cost,
I found a clinical trial at Jewish General Hospital in Montreal, Canada that is recruiting patients. Here is the criteria:

Criteria
Inclusion Criteria:

•documented advanced or metastatic cancer or hematologic malignancy in adults over age 18, with measurable disease
•adequate bone marrow, hepatic, renal and cardiac function so as to permit conventional chemotherapy
•no current calcium oxalate nephrolithiasis with the potential to reduce urinary flow
•life expectancy at least 8 weeks.
Exclusion Criteria:

•glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency
•cancers for which existing chemotherapy offers more than a 33% likelihood of a clinically meaningful response
•serum creatinine greater than 175 micromol/L
•serious GI diseases
•infections
•recent major surgery
•dementia
•altered mental status or other condition that would preclude chemotherapy, including poor functional status.

Contacts
Contact: Leonard John Hoffer, MD, PhD 514 340 8222 ext 5276 l.hoffer@mcgill.ca
Contact: WIlson Miller, MD, PhD 514 340 8222 ext 4365 wmiller@ldi.jgh.mcgill.ca

Comments

• Mmmm, although we are not
    Mmmm, although we are not in the states / Canada it is interesting that they are trailing this. I looked into to this for mum and asked the consultant and he said there was no benefit , well there must potentially be some if they are trialling this.
    I am sure any medical professional cannot recommend anything unless it has proven results.
    The price in the uk was £200 for the first shot and £ 120 there after, so not crippling, and worth a shot when all else seems to be failing!!!!!
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member

Mmmm, although we are not
    Mmmm, although we are not in the states / Canada it is interesting that they are trailing this. I looked into to this for mum and asked the consultant and he said there was no benefit , well there must potentially be some if they are trialling this.
    I am sure any medical professional cannot recommend anything unless it has proven results.
    The price in the uk was £200 for the first shot and £ 120 there after, so not crippling, and worth a shot when all else seems to be failing!!!!!

Clinical trial on ascorbic acid
    Thanks for posting this. I think ascorbic acid therapy falls into the category of "does no harm and might help." There is already some evidence that IV ascorbic acid therapy can help reverse/prevent chemo resistance. That may be ascorbic acid's greatest benefit.

The FDA here has put restrictions on the distribution of IV ascorbic acid by small pharmacies, I have no idea why but there must be some lobbyists in Washington representing the big pharmacies who are "onto something."

Carolen
  • Hissy_Fitz

Mmmm, although we are not

Actually there have been a
    Actually there have been a lot of clinical trials involving IV Vit C, going back to at least 2005. None have gone past stage II, as far as I can tell. This is the only one I could find that is recruiting patients, so that is the reason I posted it.

I personally think it is another chicken soup approach to treatment- it can't hurt and it might help, so no harm, no foul.

Carlene
  • carolenk
    carolenk Member Posts: 907 Member

Actually there have been a
    Actually there have been a lot of clinical trials involving IV Vit C, going back to at least 2005. None have gone past stage II, as far as I can tell. This is the only one I could find that is recruiting patients, so that is the reason I posted it.

I personally think it is another chicken soup approach to treatment- it can't hurt and it might help, so no harm, no foul.

Carlene

Enrolling Canadians only
    I emailed one of the researchers and the research trial in Canada is not accepting non-Canadians.

Carolen
  • Hissy_Fitz
    carolenk said:

Enrolling Canadians only
    I emailed one of the researchers and the research trial in Canada is not accepting non-Canadians.

Carolen

Well that's a bummer. I
    Well that's a bummer. I wonder why it's on the US gov site?

Carlene