I'm still up at 1:30 am ... is chemo the culprit?

Options
Findingout
Findingout Member Posts: 132
edited February 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
Am I allowed to take something while in treatment? like a little sleepy aid? Last night I slept. I need my Z's!

Comments

• Hippiechick58
    Hippiechick58 Member Posts: 320
    Options
    I have regular meds I take
    I have regular meds I take at bedtime. They are Trazodone, Seroquel and Ativan. I suppose if I can take those meds, you can take a tylenol pm or something like that. The funny thing is, even with all those meds, I sometimes can't sleep for beans! Go figure!
  • Gypsy1021
    Gypsy1021 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Sleep?
    It is nearly 7 am and I have been awake since 2 pm yesterday... insomnia bites!
  • PinkPearl
    PinkPearl Member Posts: 280
    Options
    Know what you mean.
    The steroids, in my case the dexamethosone, that my onco gives 3 days surrounding chemo keep me up and awake, sooo the last time my onco. nurse said to use the med for nausea that also makes me sleepy. I tried that this time and it really helped. My onco won't let me use anything over the counter that can mask a fever so if keep and eye on any fever you may feel if you take over the counter things. Hope this helps.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I was...
    I was put on steroids while doing chemo and THOSE kept me awake.

However, I finished chemo in December 2008, and I still don't sleep well. Have been prescribed sleeping pills, tried Tylenol PM, and if I get any sleep at all, it's because of Xanax.

I hope things improve for you! Rest is what we need.

Hugs,
    CR
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    CR1954 said:

I was...
    I was put on steroids while doing chemo and THOSE kept me awake.

However, I finished chemo in December 2008, and I still don't sleep well. Have been prescribed sleeping pills, tried Tylenol PM, and if I get any sleep at all, it's because of Xanax.

I hope things improve for you! Rest is what we need.

Hugs,
    CR

Ask if you can take OTC Benadryl
    The steroids can really mess with your sleep for several days (while you're on them, and then again while you're "coming down" off them, according to my oncologist).

Since they were pumping me full of enough Benadryl to down a cow before each infusion anyway, I asked my oncologist if I could just take OTC Benadryl for a few nights afterwards to help me sleep. He was fine with it, and it really helped.

(I don't take Benadryl anymore, because it can interfere with Tamoxifen -- but I wasn't yet on Tamoxifen when I was doing chemo, so that wasn't an issue then.)

Traci
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    TraciInLA said:

Ask if you can take OTC Benadryl
    The steroids can really mess with your sleep for several days (while you're on them, and then again while you're "coming down" off them, according to my oncologist).

Since they were pumping me full of enough Benadryl to down a cow before each infusion anyway, I asked my oncologist if I could just take OTC Benadryl for a few nights afterwards to help me sleep. He was fine with it, and it really helped.

(I don't take Benadryl anymore, because it can interfere with Tamoxifen -- but I wasn't yet on Tamoxifen when I was doing chemo, so that wasn't an issue then.)

Traci

most definitely! Many of us Chemo Queens suffer
    from insomnia . . . .. TraciinLA made a good suggestion regarding over the counter 'benadryl'. I would discuss your sleeping issues, or difficulties with your Oncologist (call him/her) on Monday, and see what other options there are for you. I found that I slept whenever possible - during the day, afternoons ..etc (I did not work, during chemo infusion), so my napping during the day was doable. .. It's the only way I keep my sanity. Seriously!

Good luck .. Strength and Courage.

Vicki Sam
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Some of the anti nausea
    Some of the anti nausea medicines helped me to sleep when the steroids kept me up. Call your cancer center and they will be able to help you. You don't need to suffer from insomnia! xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • chriskaput
    chriskaput Member Posts: 109
    Options
    tylenol pm
    My onc. told me to take tylenol pm during chemo and it worked. I usually needed it only the first 2 nights after chemo. I had some crackers for the nausea usually at 2am when I awoke and then took the pill. I would always fall right back to sleep.
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Sleep Aids during Chemo
    I had major sleep disturbances while I was doing chemo (A/C then Taxotere). When I complained to my oncologist about it he prescribed Restoril. Maybe yours could do the same. One morning when I actually slept through to 7am I couldn't believe it. Good luck.
  • Findingout
    Options

Sleep Aids during Chemo
    I had major sleep disturbances while I was doing chemo (A/C then Taxotere). When I complained to my oncologist about it he prescribed Restoril. Maybe yours could do the same. One morning when I actually slept through to 7am I couldn't believe it. Good luck.

Thank you
    ... dear friends, it's all helpful. What I'm not clear on is, where are the steroids coming from? The chemo? I'm a little blank on that but so many of you mention them.
    I felt like I was on something!
    But finally slept, from 2-5, then 7-9.
    I do have restoril just wasn't sure I should take it... so many meds already!!
    Xo.
  • Findingout
    Options
    Gypsy1021 said:

Sleep?
    It is nearly 7 am and I have been awake since 2 pm yesterday... insomnia bites!

Oh I get it
    It's the dexamethozone that has the steroids? I see pinkpearl posted that. Thanks!! Now I recall vaguely my Dr said those may keep me up.
    Well I'm glad I just took my last dose of it, for this chemo round!
    Also hope the chest tightness eases up. All your comments are SOOO helpful. XO & Many thanks .... LR
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

I have regular meds I take
    I have regular meds I take at bedtime. They are Trazodone, Seroquel and Ativan. I suppose if I can take those meds, you can take a tylenol pm or something like that. The funny thing is, even with all those meds, I sometimes can't sleep for beans! Go figure!

Are you on steroids? Those
    Are you on steroids? Those will keep you up. Ask your onco for something to help you sleep. You need your rest.

Hugs, Diane
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options
    PinkPearl said:

Know what you mean.
    The steroids, in my case the dexamethosone, that my onco gives 3 days surrounding chemo keep me up and awake, sooo the last time my onco. nurse said to use the med for nausea that also makes me sleepy. I tried that this time and it really helped. My onco won't let me use anything over the counter that can mask a fever so if keep and eye on any fever you may feel if you take over the counter things. Hope this helps.

I take Trazodone to help me
    I take Trazodone to help me to sleep. Works really well!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options

Thank you
    ... dear friends, it's all helpful. What I'm not clear on is, where are the steroids coming from? The chemo? I'm a little blank on that but so many of you mention them.
    I felt like I was on something!
    But finally slept, from 2-5, then 7-9.
    I do have restoril just wasn't sure I should take it... so many meds already!!
    Xo.

Glad you got some sleep.
    Glad you got some sleep. The steroids are given in conjunction with the chemo. Steroids, like dexamethasone, help control nausea and vomiting from chemotherapy. They also can cause insomnia. Be sure and ask what you can take for insomnia at your next visit. Or call! xoxoxo Lynn