Options
2»

Comments

• TMac52
    TMac52 Member Posts: 352
    Options
    Vickilg said:

Buzzard...
    I am 43. I am in the picture with my 13 year old. Ask me anything you want to know. :)

Perm vs.running to the John!!
    It's a no brainer!! I Thought I had a choice but my surgeon decided what was best for me. She said I would have problems with incontinence. Before surgery I had radiation to try to save the spincter muscle for 13 weeks I was on the toilet every 15-30 minutes. I was horrified when I woke with a permanent colostomy after surgery and thought my surgeon screwed me. However after meeting people here and reading these horror stories about a reversals going bad, I think she saved me from having to go through 2 more major surgeries and running to the toilet like your doing now.

I'm with Buzz I hate this bag on my belly. But unlike buzz I still want to be sexy thats where acceptance comes into play. I'm working on it it's been 5 months now but it's a tough pill to swallow. I am grateful to be alive and am getting better everyday. I am also grateful that I am not running to the john like I was 6 months ago.

Having a permanent colostomy is not so bad, it beats a pine box anyday.

good luck with your decision. Tom

P.S. VICKLIG you do not look 43 you look like your daughters older sister somthings working well for ya.
  • Vickilg
    Vickilg Member Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    TMac52 said:

Perm vs.running to the John!!
    It's a no brainer!! I Thought I had a choice but my surgeon decided what was best for me. She said I would have problems with incontinence. Before surgery I had radiation to try to save the spincter muscle for 13 weeks I was on the toilet every 15-30 minutes. I was horrified when I woke with a permanent colostomy after surgery and thought my surgeon screwed me. However after meeting people here and reading these horror stories about a reversals going bad, I think she saved me from having to go through 2 more major surgeries and running to the toilet like your doing now.

I'm with Buzz I hate this bag on my belly. But unlike buzz I still want to be sexy thats where acceptance comes into play. I'm working on it it's been 5 months now but it's a tough pill to swallow. I am grateful to be alive and am getting better everyday. I am also grateful that I am not running to the john like I was 6 months ago.

Having a permanent colostomy is not so bad, it beats a pine box anyday.

good luck with your decision. Tom

P.S. VICKLIG you do not look 43 you look like your daughters older sister somthings working well for ya.

Awwww
    Thank you so much. Your kind words are appreciated. Not too many people know I have the bag. I dress like I always have and do all the things I use to do before the bag but now I can enjoy things without worrying about the bathroom.
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Vickilg said:

Awwww
    Thank you so much. Your kind words are appreciated. Not too many people know I have the bag. I dress like I always have and do all the things I use to do before the bag but now I can enjoy things without worrying about the bathroom.

TMac thats kinda what I was thinking as well......
    Thats why the age question...I was thinking (20-25 maybe) oh well...I was simply wanting some answers to questions that may arise in here, but most likely they will be answered by someone such as yourself when someone else asks so I'll leave you alone......for now..LOL...buzz

I do have a thought though...when I was first in the hospital and had just gotten my first taste of permanent ostomy, my stoma nurse came in with something I think would be invaluable to us that want to still feel sexy in the bedroom....You can have different covers made from elastic and any design such as camo, paisley, comic strip characters, etc and have the elastic band sewn in so that it wraps around the wafer.....If you actually fold the pouch halfway up (hold the bottom and bring it to the top ) then place your patterned cover over it it takes away the mental aspect of an ostomy bag and gives you an asthetic look on the appliance itself, so it doesn't take away from the mental and physical aspects of the game to play.....1' square piece of cloth and small piece of elastic and someone that knows how to sew and viola....its game on.........buzz
  • TMac52
    TMac52 Member Posts: 352
    Options
    Buzzard said:

TMac thats kinda what I was thinking as well......
    Thats why the age question...I was thinking (20-25 maybe) oh well...I was simply wanting some answers to questions that may arise in here, but most likely they will be answered by someone such as yourself when someone else asks so I'll leave you alone......for now..LOL...buzz

I do have a thought though...when I was first in the hospital and had just gotten my first taste of permanent ostomy, my stoma nurse came in with something I think would be invaluable to us that want to still feel sexy in the bedroom....You can have different covers made from elastic and any design such as camo, paisley, comic strip characters, etc and have the elastic band sewn in so that it wraps around the wafer.....If you actually fold the pouch halfway up (hold the bottom and bring it to the top ) then place your patterned cover over it it takes away the mental aspect of an ostomy bag and gives you an asthetic look on the appliance itself, so it doesn't take away from the mental and physical aspects of the game to play.....1' square piece of cloth and small piece of elastic and someone that knows how to sew and viola....its game on.........buzz

Looked at some online.
    Hey Buzz I looked at the Tarzan tiger pattern online, cracked me up Im not too sexy anymore but Im sure im sexier without it.Thanks for thinking of me Bud.
  • coloCan
    coloCan Member Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    TMac52 said:

Looked at some online.
    Hey Buzz I looked at the Tarzan tiger pattern online, cracked me up Im not too sexy anymore but Im sure im sexier without it.Thanks for thinking of me Bud.

I tried using my bag as an off-center
    loin cloth......didn't work out too well.....
  • coloCan said:

I tried using my bag as an off-center
    loin cloth......didn't work out too well.....

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • stratplayer
    stratplayer Member Posts: 42
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Burping the bag
    I can see where this is going. The score is bag 60 and sore butt 10.
    I used to burp my Ileostomy bag in the elevator when it was crowded. No one knew but me. Ha Ha

People were sure getting off that elevator quickly.
  • colon no more
    colon no more Member Posts: 12
    Options

Burping the bag
    I can see where this is going. The score is bag 60 and sore butt 10.
    I used to burp my Ileostomy bag in the elevator when it was crowded. No one knew but me. Ha Ha

People were sure getting off that elevator quickly.

had my colostomy bag for 3
    had my colostomy bag for 3 years. It has it's moments of coming unattached sometimes. but it's not a problem most of the time. I am surprised at the people who have them and I didn't know it until they found out I had one and then they told me they had one,too. not only from cancer, put lupus and other problems. good luck to your burning butte problem lol