a little low...hair falling out..not a good weekend

Options
2»

Comments

• pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Options
    U2? FUN!! Glad you had the
    U2? FUN!! Glad you had the opportunity to hit a good concert, yet sorry it had to be under the circumstances. When my hair started falling out, I called my daughter over to come shave it off, it was easier to just get it over with. Upon shaving my head over my kitchen floor, she looked at me and said "oh Mom, you have the most beautiful bald, perfectly shaped head ever" I grabber her, hugged her and cried. She is truly amazing and has been here for me time and time again, it makes me feel bad because I'm supposed to be the supporter, but yet I'm so proud of her. To answer your question, I finished chemo Jan. 14th 2010 and by April I was hat/wig/scarf free, it was really short, but I had hair. It came back really thick, curly, and no gray, I couldn't believe it. My original head of hair was straight, thin and lifeless. I'm starting chemo again today (mets to bones) and this one has a low hair loss side effect, so I may get to keep this new hair. I must say the time flew by and I was "hairy" once again. Hang in there dear sister and keep your head up, it will come back.
    Miles of Love,
    ~Kari
  • Clementine_P
    Clementine_P Member Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Cathy, it will be okay
    I completely understand how you feel. I felt that for me, losing my hair was the most traumatic part. Like Double Whammy said it made it real. I did end up shaving my head b/c I needed to get fitted for the wig. While I did have a wig, I didn't like the way it felt (and only wore it if I absolutely had to). Hot and itchy. I would see myself in the mirror and all I saw was a wig. I ended up buying one of those baseball hats with fake hair coming out of the bottom and used that a lot of the time. Then, I found this great website that sells really fabulous head scarves (that are pre-knotted and have elastic just for cancer patients. They make them for working out, for a night out on the town, for winter, summer, you name it. I ended up getting about 4 of them. So, if it helps - here is the website: http://www.4women.com/

Also, just so you know, I finished my chemo the last day in August and started to go topless in mid-November about 2.5 months.

Just try to remember that this will all come to an end and that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. You can do it.

Clementine
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    Options
    I shaved
    when my hair started to fall out, I immediately shaved my head. Made me feel like I was in charge I guess, rather than watch it go slowly. I wore scarves, but mostly fun hats.
    Finished chemo in September, but hair did not start to regrow on head until December. The leg hair came in first...go figure...I was just getting used to not shaving the legs. I lost my eyebrows and eyelashes also....a bit of a challenge putting on eyebrows with left hand (I am right handed and had lymphedema in that hand). But, you know it does grow back...Here in February I just started to go 'topless'/////it is extreme short so I use gel and look a bit radical with spikes I guess..... It is a tough tunnel you are going through, I know....but it will end and you will see the light. And, if it all means no more cancer...it is worth the trip! We are all different as everyone says......and handle things differently.......but then again, we are the same, Pink Sister! Hugs and positive thoughts going your way
  • cathg
    cathg Member Posts: 21
    Options
    cavediver said:

I shaved
    when my hair started to fall out, I immediately shaved my head. Made me feel like I was in charge I guess, rather than watch it go slowly. I wore scarves, but mostly fun hats.
    Finished chemo in September, but hair did not start to regrow on head until December. The leg hair came in first...go figure...I was just getting used to not shaving the legs. I lost my eyebrows and eyelashes also....a bit of a challenge putting on eyebrows with left hand (I am right handed and had lymphedema in that hand). But, you know it does grow back...Here in February I just started to go 'topless'/////it is extreme short so I use gel and look a bit radical with spikes I guess..... It is a tough tunnel you are going through, I know....but it will end and you will see the light. And, if it all means no more cancer...it is worth the trip! We are all different as everyone says......and handle things differently.......but then again, we are the same, Pink Sister! Hugs and positive thoughts going your way

thanks all
    thanks all....you ladies are the best and I pray that you are blessed this week.
    I agree with the wig thing...I bought a beautiful red-head..long hair one..my word is it hot!! ( lookign and feeling) ha ha ha. Got some scarves and I have asked hubbie to shave it all tonight...may post a pic tomorrow.

Got a reality check today...little kids having chemo...whom am I to complain? Wow..

Like the idea of not waxing/shaving legs, armpits and lip...wow...

now..to draw on eyebrows or not?? that is the question//ha ha ha.love it!

thanks everyone..lol
    cath
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    sorry difficult time enjoying concert
    I have not experinced hair lose so NO words to help you...just sending warm caring thoughts to you...!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Rague said:

Sorry - triple post
    Ignore - triple post.

Glad you got to go the
    Glad you got to go the concert, but, sorry that you just weren't into it, which is understandable.

Wishing you good luck and sending lots of big hugs!

Jan