Wondering -" Junk Swap"

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited February 2011 in Breast Cancer #1
IF it would be allowed here - are there any who would be intested in doing a "Jumk Swap'?

Just did one at a horse forum I go to (have done for several years there) and it's great. Basically - you find 'stuff/junk' (not garbage) you have and have a person to send to. Keep it annoymous or not.

In my 'junk box' I got several cell phone plug-in car charger cords - I don't need them but have called the local Womens Shelter and they want them. As it was from another 'horsewoman', I got some horse stuff that I will definately use.

So thoughts if it would be allowed. I do have the time to organize but would be happy if someone else wanted to do it. We all have 'junk' to us but 'treasure' to others.

Susan

Comments

• gagee
    gagee Member Posts: 332
    junk?????
    This could be fun. Except for the postage or if you live close to someone willing. I have junk and then I have Junk that I love and sure someone else would love also. Keep posting. diana
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    gagee said:

junk?????
    This could be fun. Except for the postage or if you live close to someone willing. I have junk and then I have Junk that I love and sure someone else would love also. Keep posting. diana

sounds interesting.

sounds interesting.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    great idea!!
    I think that's a great idea - i'm the most UNorganized person I know, but maybe if people who were interested could list the "junk" they have, and maybe the "junk" they would want, we could get an idea of what we all have & make some trades.
    I have LOTS of books, literally a box full waiting to go to Goodwill. Range from popular fiction (patricia cornwell, james patterson), true crime books, etc. I can gather them together & post what I have.
    I would be more than happy to take anyone's scrapbooking "junk" off their hands - I always have several projects going on at once -stickers, papers, ribbons - pretty much any kind of crafty "junk" - my daughters and I either use for projects or just to play with.
    I like this idea - I'm FOREVER calling my girlfriends over when I clean out my closets -I'd rather give things to people who'd like to use them, then what isn't picked out goes to Goodwill or a local women's shelter that I donate to a few times a year.
    *hugs*
    Heather
    oh, we have lots of DVD's too, that aren't doing anything but sitting on my shelf- it's going on midnight here so I'm getting ready for bed, but tomorrow I'll list my books & dvd's - i'd most definately take any kids (toddler/preschool) dvd's that anyone's kids have outgrown.
  • Rague
    For an idea - the last
    For an idea - the last 'junk' box I got through horse forum included a couple of things that I will use with the horses - hey it's a horse forum. I also got a bag/tote with pink flowers and a make-up bag decorated with pretty buttons - they already has a new owner (neighbor) that claimed them. There were several different car chargers for cell phones that I've already called the local Women's Shelter about - will take them there tomorrow or the next day - they said that they don't often get the car chargers with cell phone donations. What I'm really excited about are 3 sterling silver hearts (2 smaller - 1 large) on a short chain - will become earrings and a ncklace. Also got hanging shoe bag - needed one but probably wouldn't buy one.

Point is - what is 'junk' to one can be a 'treasure' to others.

Susan
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    This does sound like a very
    This does sound like a very interesting idea. Does this work by someone just sending a box of their "junk" to someone and it is all a surprise as to what's inside? Would we do this similar to the ornament exchange? This could be fun, I think.
  • Rague
    The way the one at the horse
    The way the one at the horse forum works is basically the same the Ornament Exchange did. Those who want to participate send PM to whoever is organizing it and then your name is sent to someone else and you get someone else to send to.
    While it is called a Junk Exchange - you don't really send damaged/broken 'stuff, just stuff you have around tthe house you no longer use/want - books, knick-knacks, candles, crafts you made, anything! What you send is only limited by what you have that you don't really want anymore and your imagination.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Rague said:

The way the one at the horse
    The way the one at the horse forum works is basically the same the Ornament Exchange did. Those who want to participate send PM to whoever is organizing it and then your name is sent to someone else and you get someone else to send to.
    While it is called a Junk Exchange - you don't really send damaged/broken 'stuff, just stuff you have around tthe house you no longer use/want - books, knick-knacks, candles, crafts you made, anything! What you send is only limited by what you have that you don't really want anymore and your imagination.

Great !
    I think this sounds like a great idea. I'm sure we all have stuff hanging around that we really don't need or want any longer. It's also a great way to pass on those gifts we've received from people ... without the fear of actually re-gifting back to the same person.

However ... once I start pulling my "exchange" items together ... I may need a U-Haul truck to put everything in ... :-)

hugs.
    teena
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I'm in...although it would
    I'm in...although it would help to know a little about the person receiving the 'junk'. We have everything from video games to knitting to karting to cooking.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    carkris said:

sounds interesting.

sounds interesting.

Cool idea!

Cool idea!
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    We moved about 2 years ago - really downsized,
    I never got to completely unpack knowing I would have such a hard time finding space for all my stuff (junk). Then I was, ahem, 'derailed' for awhile.

This may just be the incentive I need to address those boxes. I'm in!!!

Sue
  • Cat64
    Cat64 Member Posts: 1,192
    Susan
    An on-line FREE (except postage)junk swap!!! I'm all in!!! Being the recycling, garage/estate sale lover, hate to throw anything useful away kind of person that I am, think it's a great idea!
    ♥ Cat
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    Cat64 said:

Susan
    An on-line FREE (except postage)junk swap!!! I'm all in!!! Being the recycling, garage/estate sale lover, hate to throw anything useful away kind of person that I am, think it's a great idea!
    ♥ Cat

the post office has flat
    the post office has flat rate boxes no matter the weight!!! I think its exciting Ü I'm already getting stuff together............