depression and rads

TP123
TP123 Member Posts: 53
Anyone experience depression, or in my case, increased depression with rads? I find each day, right after treatment, I feel more depressed. It clears by evening. I have been in treatment for depression for years and my dose was increased last summer-a few months after bc diagnosis.

Comments

• PinkPearl
    PinkPearl Member Posts: 280
    no experience with rads
    I don't have any experience with rads but I would ask my doctor and tell him what you are experiencing with the depression. Take care of yourself. We are hear to listen and help as best we can.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    PinkPearl said:

no experience with rads
    I don't have any experience with rads but I would ask my doctor and tell him what you are experiencing with the depression. Take care of yourself. We are hear to listen and help as best we can.

I did not have an increase
    I did not have an increase in depression but rads makes you tired and that could be contributing to it. Also different phases of treatment and recovery present their own set of problems.
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    I'm up and down
    Just had my 4th of 33 treatment of rads. I find that I'm crying a lot--I've had 2 really low days so far which my hubbie tried to help by feeding me ice cream (really did help--says he sees a lot of Baskin Robbins in my future--LOL).
    I am rather intimidated by the big rads machine and feel very small when I leave (and with over 60 pounds to lose, I am by no means small!!). I go straight into work as if nothing has happened and then I start to feel sorry for myself that I have cancer and am in treatment. Silly I know but I can't seem to stop the feelings.
    I've been taking 100mg of Welbutrin 2 times a day and don't want to up the dosage, so I'm trying to focus on the end of the tunnel...only 29 more treatments.
    I'm hoping that I'll adjust to this new phase of treatment soon. Although it is much easier than chemo was, I am trying to pace myself so that I don't get too tired. But everyone assumes that I'm "cured" cause I am no longer having chemo with the wealth of side effects.

I know that this too shall pass...I'm just impatient (which I guess is better than being an "in-patient".)

I'm attempting to adopt the attitude that I am lucky that there is treatment and that I am able to have it. I need to replace my "feeling sorry for myself with this "attitude of gratitude" because I truly believe that what I believe affects my health.

Good luck to you and lots of smiley hugs.
    JoAnn
  • joannstar
    I'm up and down
    sorry double post
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    carkris said:

I did not have an increase
    I did not have an increase in depression but rads makes you tired and that could be contributing to it. Also different phases of treatment and recovery present their own set of problems.

I've never had depression,
    I've never had depression, but from what I have read, it is awful. I don't think rads would do it to you, but, it could be a combination of everything you have been thru.

Please keep talking to your oncologist and let them know if you are getting worse.

Good luck!
  • TP123
    joannstar said:

I'm up and down
    Just had my 4th of 33 treatment of rads. I find that I'm crying a lot--I've had 2 really low days so far which my hubbie tried to help by feeding me ice cream (really did help--says he sees a lot of Baskin Robbins in my future--LOL).
    I am rather intimidated by the big rads machine and feel very small when I leave (and with over 60 pounds to lose, I am by no means small!!). I go straight into work as if nothing has happened and then I start to feel sorry for myself that I have cancer and am in treatment. Silly I know but I can't seem to stop the feelings.
    I've been taking 100mg of Welbutrin 2 times a day and don't want to up the dosage, so I'm trying to focus on the end of the tunnel...only 29 more treatments.
    I'm hoping that I'll adjust to this new phase of treatment soon. Although it is much easier than chemo was, I am trying to pace myself so that I don't get too tired. But everyone assumes that I'm "cured" cause I am no longer having chemo with the wealth of side effects.

I know that this too shall pass...I'm just impatient (which I guess is better than being an "in-patient".)

I'm attempting to adopt the attitude that I am lucky that there is treatment and that I am able to have it. I need to replace my "feeling sorry for myself with this "attitude of gratitude" because I truly believe that what I believe affects my health.

Good luck to you and lots of smiley hugs.
    JoAnn

Thank you for validating my
    Thank you for validating my feelings. I feel just like you. The machine is so big and intimidating. I, too, have a lot of weight to lose, but the drs. don't want me to try now. I believe I also need to develop a shift of focus from me to "attitude of gratitude". What stage were you in the beginning? I was a stage II. Huge lump, too. Thanks again.
    Teresa
  • joannstar
    TP123 said:

Thank you for validating my
    Thank you for validating my feelings. I feel just like you. The machine is so big and intimidating. I, too, have a lot of weight to lose, but the drs. don't want me to try now. I believe I also need to develop a shift of focus from me to "attitude of gratitude". What stage were you in the beginning? I was a stage II. Huge lump, too. Thanks again.
    Teresa

My diagnosis
    was 1C, med grade, triple negative, 0/4 nodes. My tumor was 1.2 cm. I've had 2 lumpectomies (2nd to get clear margins), 6 rounds of chemo (T/C) and now doing 33 rads. I seem to be a bit allergic to the machine--when I'm lying on the table I start to cough. This has now happened 3 times out of 4. I have to breathe very shallow and suck on a throat lonzenge. Really weird. We haven't figured out what I'm reacting to--maybe the body form or the smell of the antiseptic. So far I know that the feeling of being hot on the breast that is being irradiated is in my imagination--boy, the mind is an amazing thing. I spoke to my nurse and he said that was perfectly normal and that I probably wouldn't actually feel anything like that until the 5th week if at all. I hope he's right. I'm glad I get the weekends off...time to forget and recharge.
    We'll both make it through this and then look back at the experience with relief that we completed this phase of treatment.
    Hugs,
    JoAnn
  • 2Floridiansisters
    2Floridiansisters Member Posts: 384 Member
    joannstar said:

I'm up and down
    sorry double post

I have depression
    But I don't know if the radiation contributed to it, I just think it's normal to be down in the dumps after having dealt with breast cancer. It totally changes your life forever. I hope you start feeling better. I used to be on Effexor for depression, then I stopped taking it once I was diagnosed but I'm going to get back on it.
  • Survivor73
    Survivor73 Member Posts: 135

I have depression
    But I don't know if the radiation contributed to it, I just think it's normal to be down in the dumps after having dealt with breast cancer. It totally changes your life forever. I hope you start feeling better. I used to be on Effexor for depression, then I stopped taking it once I was diagnosed but I'm going to get back on it.

Put this on you mirror and say it throughout the day
    A good way to help with the depression and to feel better overall it to use the power of the mind.

Say the statement below (or one like it that you are happy with)

"I am fighting cancer and I am winning"

Make sure you put your statement in the current timeframe - not in the future or past tense.

Post it on your bathroom mirror, look at yourself and say it to yourself everyday...say it before going into the machine and let these words go through your mind while getting the radiation.

The power your mind has over what is happening to you can be adjusted by positive thoughts...

Hope this helps.

I too have dealt with anxiety/depression since 2008. This is one of the suggestions from my therapist. It helps to put things in perspective sometimes.

Hugs.
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Yes, I became depressed
    Yes, I became depressed during radiation and it deepened once treatment was finished. I think it was a combination of exhaustion and a feeling of helplessness. I don't think it's unusual for depression to accompany a cancer diagnosis. I think it really helps to stay on top of it through treatment. You are so wise to recognize your feelings for what they are. Be sure and let your caregivers know how you are feeling. xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    so sorry
    I have not ! I had no side effects-but everyone is different...I used journals which helped me..Cancer center had a great therapsit on MY bad days I would stop in her office!

I"ll be thinking of you....
  • TP123

so sorry
    I have not ! I had no side effects-but everyone is different...I used journals which helped me..Cancer center had a great therapsit on MY bad days I would stop in her office!

I"ll be thinking of you....

You have all helped me
    You have all helped me tremendously! I love you all for taking the time to respond to my issue. It means a lot to me. I will also return the prayers. 13 rads down, 20 to go. Good luck to all pink sisters.
    Love,
    Teresa
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    TP123 said:

You have all helped me
    You have all helped me tremendously! I love you all for taking the time to respond to my issue. It means a lot to me. I will also return the prayers. 13 rads down, 20 to go. Good luck to all pink sisters.
    Love,
    Teresa

You will a rad grad before
    You will a rad grad before you know it and we will all celebrate with you!

Good luck Teresa,

Jan
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

You will a rad grad before
    You will a rad grad before you know it and we will all celebrate with you!

Good luck Teresa,

Jan

popped back in to see how things are going
    I hope you are feeling ok....day by day..soon it will be over...!