Options
2»

Comments

• Findingout
    Findingout Member Posts: 132
    Options

Chemo
    Hi,
    I'm a two-time breast cancer survivor since 2004 still receiving Herceptin every three weeks. Whatever you read and hear, remember that everyone is different. Take one day at a time. When you have symptoms, ask for help. I thought that I had to suffer, but there are remedies. Stay ahead of the pain. Drink lots of fluids. Have Pepto, Tums, Imodium, Tylenol, stool softener, quick read thermometer, recipe for salt water mouth rinse on hand. Cooked foods ready to microwave. I lived on Boost. Don't be afraid to ask. You may spend many hours in treatment so relax, read, sleep, take snacks. Try to stay positive and when you have those bad days, remember that they will pass. I heard someone say that they had cancer, but the cancer didn't have them. Losing my hair twice was very hard. People say stupid things because they just don't know, but mean well. Talking about it and even having a sense of humor helped me. My support group really helped. I am alive today because of chemo and informative doctors. The nurses I have are so wonderful. Cancer has a mind of it's own, we can only hope to remove it or maintain it and someday find a cure.

This is all so great, I got
    This is all so great, I got my notebook and made a list of all your wonderful suggestions. And I appreciate that everyone kept it so positive. I feel better already! I had to finally look up all the acronyms I read here, and I'm having AC every 3 weeks (4x) then Taxol every week (12x). So I'm learning... best to you all. I certainly know where to go for the best support ever!
    xo Lin
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

This is all so great, I got
    This is all so great, I got my notebook and made a list of all your wonderful suggestions. And I appreciate that everyone kept it so positive. I feel better already! I had to finally look up all the acronyms I read here, and I'm having AC every 3 weeks (4x) then Taxol every week (12x). So I'm learning... best to you all. I certainly know where to go for the best support ever!
    xo Lin

Hi Lin and welcome. The info
    Hi Lin and welcome. The info here is practical and very supportive. I also agree with Cypress Cynthia, so many move on and do quite well after all their treatment. I was so frightened to receive my first chemo. I must tell you that it was completely uneventful and I found that peace to move forward with the additional infusions. I had A/C every 3 weeks just like you and then moved on to Taxol and Taxotere. I had nauseawith A/C but the combo of Emend and Kytril did it for me. We are each so individual and what works for one may not work for another. Hang in there you can do this.
  • Findingout
    Options

Neulasta, that's the drug!
    Neulasta, that's the drug! Also one more thing, bring a blanket to chemo. Some times the room is pretty cold and your there for 1 to 2 hours, better to be comfy. Also bring snacks and plenty of water to drink.

I read this before but now
    I read this before but now it just sank in. Thanks, I was wondering what neulasta was, I thought it was a chemo drug!
  • Findingout
    Options
    Cinkal said:

I understand your anxiety.
    I understand your anxiety. I had a lumpectomy eight days ago and have a follow up with my surgeon in a week. He will help me find an oncologist at that appointment. I am also nervous about the side effects. Good luck with your first therapy.

Good luck to you too. When I
    Good luck to you too. When I joined someone wrote that it is the hardest in the beginning. I think she was right. Although I have chemo jitters, I'm not the fish out of water as in the first month or so... so hang in there and always come here for support no matter what your feelings or questions are, people are supportive about it all.
    Lin
  • PinkPearl
    PinkPearl Member Posts: 280
    Options
    Some great advice in the posts above!
    I just know you will do fine with all of these great tips! I don't have any thing to add because these are the things I did. I have my second chemo on Monday and I can honestly say I don't dread it. For me the side effects have been very mangageable so far and much less than I thought they would be. Be sure to rest and let your body repair itself and as everyone says be sure to hydrate and eat light meals to keep your energy level up. I hope you will do so well that you will be posting and letting us know good news.
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

Hi Lin, I just want you to
    Hi Lin, I just want you to know I'm thinking of you and your chemo date, praying your "chemo jeebies" will be put to rest. My experience with chemo 1.5 years ago was 4 A/C and 11 Taxol, and Monday I'll start xeloda for my bone mets. I can say that the chemo I have been through was not near as bad as I thought. Neulasta was pretty hard on my bone pain but as for the chemo infusions, all my symptoms were treatable. Whatever ails you, tell your onc., there are a lot of great side effect meds out there. Emend was a wonderful lifesaver for nausea, along with hydrocodone for bone pain. As stated, stay hydrated. All my best to you dear friend and keep posting for advice on what worked for others, you'll get lots of it!
    Mountains of Love,
    ~Kari

Good luck Kari on Monday! I
    Good luck Kari on Monday! I will be thinking of you!

Hugs, Megan
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options
    missrenee said:

Lin--don't worry--you'll do just fine
    I remember how terrified I was just about one year ago--walking into that oncologist's office for my first chemo. I knocked down an IV pole (luckily it was empty), broke the recliner I was in and was literally shaking. I was so, so scared. But, guess what--I got through it just fine. And I had some very hard-hitting chemo--TAC--6 rounds. I followed all instructions to the letter. Drank a ton of water, rested, tried to relax as much as I could. Got a little nausea/diarrhea the first day or two after. The Neulasta caused some pretty intense bone pain--kind of like a bad flu. But I took all the remedies needed and got through it. I traveled to a best friend's daughter's wedding during chemo and even hosted an Easter brunch for 20 people.

You can do this, dearheart. If you have side effects, let your onc. know--he/she will have something to help you. Stay positive, focused, rested and determined.

You will be just fine.

Hugs, Renee

I wish I had some advice for
    I wish I had some advice for you Lin, but, I didn't take chemo. Just wishing you good luck!

Hugs, Megan
  • tjohnson2310
    tjohnson2310 Member Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Prepare yourself
    I prepared my self by filling my home with over the counter remedies for the most common side effects of chemo. There are many tips online and in pamphlets at the doctors office. Also prescription medications can help manage side effects. Most importantly talk to your doctor if the medication isn't helping let them know it can make a big difference. I wish you the best.
  • Findingout
    Options

Prepare yourself
    I prepared my self by filling my home with over the counter remedies for the most common side effects of chemo. There are many tips online and in pamphlets at the doctors office. Also prescription medications can help manage side effects. Most importantly talk to your doctor if the medication isn't helping let them know it can make a big difference. I wish you the best.

The only OTC remedies I've
    The only OTC remedies I've gotten so far are, Fleets-Natural and orange flavored Metamucil. Any other suggestions for constip. or other side effects? I'm going shopping.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options

The only OTC remedies I've
    The only OTC remedies I've gotten so far are, Fleets-Natural and orange flavored Metamucil. Any other suggestions for constip. or other side effects? I'm going shopping.

Just got my info notebook
    Just got my info notebook from the Center out. I did remember that the first suggestion was Senokot-S. The others on the back of the page are Milk of Magnesium, Citrate of Magnesia or Ducolax. Fleets Phosphate Sodium enema is also listed there. The Senokot-S is what I used most of the time - did take a Ducolax a couple of times. They should give you a notebook with info in it.

Susan
  • Findingout
    Options
    Rague said:

Just got my info notebook
    Just got my info notebook from the Center out. I did remember that the first suggestion was Senokot-S. The others on the back of the page are Milk of Magnesium, Citrate of Magnesia or Ducolax. Fleets Phosphate Sodium enema is also listed there. The Senokot-S is what I used most of the time - did take a Ducolax a couple of times. They should give you a notebook with info in it.

Susan

Many thanks Susan for
    Many thanks Susan for looking this up.
  • bunya
    bunya Member Posts: 11
    Options
    You WILL be fine!
    I totally agree with everyone that hydration is soooo important! I had chemo treatments after my diagnosis almost one and 1/2 yrs. ago and I was grateful that so many "pre-meds" before each chemo session completely improved what we would've gone through years ago. I, too, LOVED my port which made the infusions so much easier. The nurses really will put you at ease about everything. And, just think..those nasty cells are getting zapped to make you a survivor with each treatment. Yes..you'll feel tired, out-of-sorts, maybe even chocolate won't taste good to you but IT WILL NOT BE FOREVER! I was still doing day-care through my treatments and what gave me a good boost every morning was putting my lipstick on and one of my (10) new hats! You'll be fine..say it! "I'll be just fine!"
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    Cinkal said:

I understand your anxiety.
    I understand your anxiety. I had a lumpectomy eight days ago and have a follow up with my surgeon in a week. He will help me find an oncologist at that appointment. I am also nervous about the side effects. Good luck with your first therapy.

Lin, wishing you good luck
    Lin, wishing you good luck this week with the start of your chemo. Being nervous is very natural and very common. Hopefully once you get the first one behind you, you will start feeling less anxious.

Good luck!
  • PinkPearl
    PinkPearl Member Posts: 280
    Options
    OTC
    I just had my second chemo today and the over the counter meds I used are Senekot-S, Prilosec, and Immodium. I used the senecot-S the day before chemo, the day of chemo and for several more days. It helps to keep water in the intestines. I took a Prilosec to ward off heartburn although I never really have it, I figured better safe than sorry, I never have used the immodium yet. I also took the nausea medicine as soon as I got home and then every morning and night for about 5 days. I made a little chart to follow each day and that helped me to not forget anything. Drinking helps keep you hydrated and makes everything work better, the intestines and the bladder especially! Good luck, You will do fine because you are proactive and planning ahead!