Breast Cancer only found in Lymph node - anyone else?

I was diagnoised this fall with breast cancer, ER positive; however, no tumor was found in the breast even after a PET scan. The only tumor was in my left armpit lymph node. Has anyone else experience this? What type of treatment/surgery was done? I went thru 3 months of Taxol and now just starting 3 months of FAC. They are planning on surgery to remove lymphy nodes in May followed by radiation treatments. Chemo & surgery at MDAnderson.

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    BC in lymph nodes ONLY
    Hi Pinklady,

I noticed that the lymph nodes under my right arm were swollen and went to my ob/gyn who sent me for a mammogram. It was time for it anyway. After it was done I got a note asking me to come back for some more views and an ultrasound. Still nothing in the breast tissue but the lymph nodes were suspicious and growing. I was referred to a surgeon who did an excision biopsy. Initially the pathology report said squamous cell carcinoma. Since that is highly unusual for that location further testing was done including a breast MRI, PET/CT scan, upper endoscopy et. al. Still nothing in the breast tissue. A complete axillary dissection was then done. 22 lymph nodes were removed and 2 were positive - adenocarcinoma. A tissue sample was sent to Pathwork Diagnostics to do a Tissue of Origin test. They are the only lab in the U.S. doing that particular test. It was only through that test that my surgeon and oncologist were able to determine that the cancer had originated in my breast and not another organ. Nothing has ever been found in any breast tissue. I then underwent a mastectomy followed by 4 rounds of A/C and 12 rounds of Taxotere. My last chemo infusion was on 8/4/10. No radiation. No hormones since I am triple negative.

Hopefully that answered some of your questions. You are not alone but I do not think there are a whole lot of us with this particular presentation of breast cancer. Good luck with your treatments. Please let us know how things go for you.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

BC in lymph nodes ONLY
    Hi Pinklady,

I noticed that the lymph nodes under my right arm were swollen and went to my ob/gyn who sent me for a mammogram. It was time for it anyway. After it was done I got a note asking me to come back for some more views and an ultrasound. Still nothing in the breast tissue but the lymph nodes were suspicious and growing. I was referred to a surgeon who did an excision biopsy. Initially the pathology report said squamous cell carcinoma. Since that is highly unusual for that location further testing was done including a breast MRI, PET/CT scan, upper endoscopy et. al. Still nothing in the breast tissue. A complete axillary dissection was then done. 22 lymph nodes were removed and 2 were positive - adenocarcinoma. A tissue sample was sent to Pathwork Diagnostics to do a Tissue of Origin test. They are the only lab in the U.S. doing that particular test. It was only through that test that my surgeon and oncologist were able to determine that the cancer had originated in my breast and not another organ. Nothing has ever been found in any breast tissue. I then underwent a mastectomy followed by 4 rounds of A/C and 12 rounds of Taxotere. My last chemo infusion was on 8/4/10. No radiation. No hormones since I am triple negative.

Hopefully that answered some of your questions. You are not alone but I do not think there are a whole lot of us with this particular presentation of breast cancer. Good luck with your treatments. Please let us know how things go for you.

it is rare, but was posted
    it is rare situation, but I remember reading about it here. From time to time several ladies had similar cases: no primary tumors, however positive lymph nodes. About 10 months ago My friend has had it too. She had Chemo -surgery -Chemo- radiation. She did not have mastectomy.

Jessismom gave you a very detailed answer.
    Good luck with your treatment. Please let us know about your progress,
    Hugs
  • mrs gadget
    mrs gadget Member Posts: 118

it is rare situation, but I remember reading about it here. From time to time several ladies had similar cases: no primary tumors, however positive lymph nodes. About 10 months ago My friend has had it too. She had Chemo -surgery -Chemo- radiation. She did not have mastectomy.

Hugs

My situation was similar
    My breast cancer was first discovered in my lymph nodes too. My doctor said there is a primary tumor in my breast but it took forever for them to find it. After a series of MRI's and ultra sounds, they eventually found a 7mm tumor deep in my left breast. After this, I went thru 6 rounds of TC followed by a lumpectomy and removal of 22 nodes. I am now out of surgery by a month and just started radiation.
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930

Hugs

I have only read of this,
    I have only read of this, and, it is rare.

Good luck to you,

Susie