need chemo

pbrndm5
pbrndm5 Member Posts: 83
I had a lumpectomy on Jan 4-no cancer in nodes and clear margins (WOOHOO) Then had partial breast balloon radiation therapy that finished on January 19-Was feeling pretty OK. Went to surgeon for follow this week and was told that I need chemo because the tumor was ER-, PR- and HER2+. Meeting with oncologist on Feb. 11.
Was wondering if any one else out there is like me. Thought everything was going well, now this chemo thing is staring me in the face.I'm worried and scared.
This whole cancer thing really stinks!!!!

Comments

• GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    My tumor was opposite of
    My tumor was opposite of your, ER,PR+, HER2-. I had the same surgical results. I had an oncotype test and had to have chemo because of my score. I'm not sure but I think there is a chemo to help HER2+. I'm sure before long many will come on to confirm this for you. Anyway, I know you are worried about chemo and I was TERRIFIED, but it is very doable and you'll get lots of support and info being on this board. I'm glad your surgery went well and will be sending positive hopes and thoughts your way.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Are you....
    Are you having chemo, or Herceptin or both? I am ER-/PR- and HER-2+.
    Had mastectomy, lymph nodes, A/C chemo, Abraxane chemo and then a Herceptin infusion every three weeks for a year. Also had 33 rounds of rads.

If you are just having the Herceptin, for the HER-2+, it is a piece of cake. I had very little, if any, side effects from that. And the time really does go by more quickly than you think it will.

Keep us updated!

CR
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    I am on that boat with you
    Hi,

I can tell you all I want not to be scared but till you experience it,
    it will be scary for you. It is the unknown, what makes it scary.

I had 5 treatments of Carbo, Taxotere and the magic stuff for HER+
    people, Herceptin. I am still doing Herceptin, I had to for 12 months.
    But it is very promising drug and a lot of people have done very well
    with it. It greatly reduces the recurrence rate.

Herceptin only makes me feel like I have a slight cold. It's not that
    bad. I decided to get a port and I was glad I did. I had it taken out
    when I had my mastectomy and I have to tell you I am not a big fan
    of the poking and looking for veins.

Everyone's experience is different that is true, but keep in mind we
    ALL got through it and so will you.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    I was scared too
    When I was told I had to do chemo, I was paralyzed with fear for about 2 months. I basically went on auto-pilot and did what I was told. I had to do 8 treatments, 4 AC and 4 taxol. After the 3rd treatment I realized it was doable. It was definitely doable because today I am one week out from my last one. I had neo-adjuvant therapy, so surgery is still to come and I realize there is the possibility that I may have to do chemo again after the surgery. I'm telling you all this because, chemo is very scary looking ahead to it. But once you start doing it you realize it's doable. You can and will get through it.
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Somwhat Similar Situation...
    Granted, my treatment was 91/2 years ago, so I'm sure the whole criteria for who should get chemo or not has changed since then. But when I was diagnosed, I had stage 2, I was both ER and PR+, HER2- and had no node involvement and after my lumpectomy had clear margins. My doctor still wanted me to go through chemo more or less for extra insurance. You never know if one little cell could have gotten away. As much as I didn't want to do it, I went ahead because I didn't ever want to look back and have that "would of, should of, could of" hanging over my back if it where to ever come back!

Who knows if it was "truly" necessary or helpful, but I did what was recommended at the time and I'm still around! :)

SO...I know it's hard, but it's definitely doable, if that's what you choose. I remember my doctor went through all the statistics/pros/cons of having the various treatments. That was very helpful in deciding what to do, as you ALWAYS have a choice in YOUR treatment. I know it's a hard decision, but if you have all the facts and are well informed, just follow your gut and it will lead you in the right direction.

Keep us updated. I'll be praying for ya!

Blessings,
    Sally
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    I'm guessing that your chemo
    I'm guessing that your chemo with be herceptin. If it is, from what others have said it is very doable. My friend said no troubling side effects for her with it.

Hang in there, I know this news has thrown you for a loop, but remember that it will help improve your prognosis for a healthy future.
  • EllenaMaria
    EllenaMaria Member Posts: 69
    Sorry this is long, it's just the way I am.
    I read your page and your words look like they came from my head. Obviously my cancer is different, with breast cancer no one is ever really the same, just similar. You will find many who are similar though.

I can relate to your feelings. This whole C thing really ticks me off. I feel offended by having this stupid thing. It is like for the rest of my life I get to wear this big C on my forehead. I never asked for this, never did anything to deserve it. There are so many other people in this world that don't appreciate their life and they get to do all the rotten things and get away with it. I try to be a good person and look where it got me. Whew! Glad I got that off my chest!

I too am sick of people telling me I will be fine, just have it removed, just go through treatment. Even my dad, who had prostrate cancer and only had surgery and some radiation, can't really relate. Breast cancer is so differnt. Not to lessen his experience but he can get tested to see if his stuff returns. We just sit and wait.

If my mom tells me one more time to go see my dads onc, who specializes in prostrates, I am going to scream. And when she told me she stopped getting mammos a few years ago, well I just had nothing to say to her. And my sis who hasn't had one since she was 40, she is 51, let's not even go there.

I decided from day one that this thing would not own me. I may have cancer, I hate typing that word, but it will NEVER have me. I chose to forge on regardless of how scary this is. My friend would wear sweats and such to her chemo. Heck no! I dressed up. Wore high heels. I got so many old guys smiling when I walked in. Every older lady would tell me I did not belong there, I told them they did not either. No one does.

I don't know how you are but I recommend you ask questions, try to understand how all this works to the best of your ability. Sometimes knowing how something works makes it easier, at least it does for me. Although I chose not to have a mastectomy I did elect to be given the strongest meds possible for me. The thought of the chemo flowing through my body, in my brain, really freaked me out. But knowing that it would go after the cells, the cells in my tumor were fast growing, helped me to actually WANT the chemo.

I am not in the "what happens next" phase. I think that is the scariest of all of this. So now I have had all this treatment and now we just sit and wait? I don't allow myself to wonder if I will see my little boy become and Eagle Scout or if my daughter will become an olympic kayaker. I just can't do that.

I decided from day one I could live my life two ways. I could spend whatever time I have worrying about whether this is gone or not. I could live to be 90 and end up wasting the last 45 years. Or I could enjoy whatever time I have and end up living to be 90. Then I would look back on the last 45 years and say "wow that was great!". I am choosing the later.

Surround yourself with positive things. Let the words you read here bring you strength when you feel you need it. I am fortunate to have two survivors at work, 2yr and 5yr. They have been my "big sisters". I go to them because I have no one else to go to. They listen. I come here to hopefully pay it forward.
  • pbrndm5
    pbrndm5 Member Posts: 83

Sorry this is long, it's just the way I am.
    I read your page and your words look like they came from my head. Obviously my cancer is different, with breast cancer no one is ever really the same, just similar. You will find many who are similar though.

I can relate to your feelings. This whole C thing really ticks me off. I feel offended by having this stupid thing. It is like for the rest of my life I get to wear this big C on my forehead. I never asked for this, never did anything to deserve it. There are so many other people in this world that don't appreciate their life and they get to do all the rotten things and get away with it. I try to be a good person and look where it got me. Whew! Glad I got that off my chest!

I too am sick of people telling me I will be fine, just have it removed, just go through treatment. Even my dad, who had prostrate cancer and only had surgery and some radiation, can't really relate. Breast cancer is so differnt. Not to lessen his experience but he can get tested to see if his stuff returns. We just sit and wait.

If my mom tells me one more time to go see my dads onc, who specializes in prostrates, I am going to scream. And when she told me she stopped getting mammos a few years ago, well I just had nothing to say to her. And my sis who hasn't had one since she was 40, she is 51, let's not even go there.

I decided from day one that this thing would not own me. I may have cancer, I hate typing that word, but it will NEVER have me. I chose to forge on regardless of how scary this is. My friend would wear sweats and such to her chemo. Heck no! I dressed up. Wore high heels. I got so many old guys smiling when I walked in. Every older lady would tell me I did not belong there, I told them they did not either. No one does.

I don't know how you are but I recommend you ask questions, try to understand how all this works to the best of your ability. Sometimes knowing how something works makes it easier, at least it does for me. Although I chose not to have a mastectomy I did elect to be given the strongest meds possible for me. The thought of the chemo flowing through my body, in my brain, really freaked me out. But knowing that it would go after the cells, the cells in my tumor were fast growing, helped me to actually WANT the chemo.

I am not in the "what happens next" phase. I think that is the scariest of all of this. So now I have had all this treatment and now we just sit and wait? I don't allow myself to wonder if I will see my little boy become and Eagle Scout or if my daughter will become an olympic kayaker. I just can't do that.

I decided from day one I could live my life two ways. I could spend whatever time I have worrying about whether this is gone or not. I could live to be 90 and end up wasting the last 45 years. Or I could enjoy whatever time I have and end up living to be 90. Then I would look back on the last 45 years and say "wow that was great!". I am choosing the later.

Surround yourself with positive things. Let the words you read here bring you strength when you feel you need it. I am fortunate to have two survivors at work, 2yr and 5yr. They have been my "big sisters". I go to them because I have no one else to go to. They listen. I come here to hopefully pay it forward.

thank you
    Thanks so much for all your words of encouragement.I know I need to get through this and I will, but it is so hard. I think I'm really mad as hell because my son is getting married in July and I just wanted to enjoy that special time and now I have to deal with all this cancer stuff. Both of my kids (both grown) and hubby are super supportive, but it is SO helpful to talk to people who have been there done that.

Hopefully this chemo will kill all the cancer cells in my body. I think I've finally gotten to the point where I have chosen to live with the cancer-not die from it. Sometimes I feel like I'm being so dramatic, I know there are so many of you out there whose dx was way worse then mine. You guys give me the strength to carry on and get through all of this.
    Hopefully I didn't ramble too much.
    Denise
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    GayleMc said:

My tumor was opposite of
    My tumor was opposite of your, ER,PR+, HER2-. I had the same surgical results. I had an oncotype test and had to have chemo because of my score. I'm not sure but I think there is a chemo to help HER2+. I'm sure before long many will come on to confirm this for you. Anyway, I know you are worried about chemo and I was TERRIFIED, but it is very doable and you'll get lots of support and info being on this board. I'm glad your surgery went well and will be sending positive hopes and thoughts your way.

I am the opposite too ER and
    I am the opposite too ER and PR + and HER2-. Sorry you have to do chemo, but, many here have and can help you along the way.

Good luck,

Jan