Options
2»

Comments

• jararno
    jararno Member Posts: 186
    Options
    nikkig said:

Weight Loss and Dehydration Is Scary...
    My mother was diagnosed with liver cancer and had 60 percent of her liver removed in 2008 and received a few doses of chemo, to 'just make sure'. 2009 she was cancer free. 2010 her cancer returned. She started chemo in June of 2010. She began at that time losing weight. She started at 125 and went down to 82. The cancer was growing and they wanted to add another agressive chemo. What does one do? She could hardly say no and surrender. She was already into this and had to move forward. 82 pounds, feeling ill, having no appetite she became dehydrated and was hospitalized. Her WBC was extremely high, fluids were in place, blood transfusion doing its thing, doctor allowed her to go home, but she must stay hydrated. My brother was taking care of her. A few days after...he was unable to be with her one night and half of the next day, but we both felt she was doing well and staying hydrated. That next day he took her to the hospital since her lips were peeling...she was that dehydrated.

My mother passed away last week. Her body was too weak to fight. Her heart stopped. I am sorry to share a sad story...but weight loss and dehydration is scary and agressive action should be taken to prevent this. I am now trying to figure what could have been done differently. Should she have been given steroids, never should have been sent home, natural remedies along with chemo, hospitalization/in home care with constant fluids and nurses, held off on the agressive chemo...I just don't know. I do not think I did enough 'googling' on this issue. The dehydration was so quick (all within one week). I did trust her doctors and felt that we were doing all we could do, but I don't know. I hope I can be of some help and give some insight on the severity of weight loss and deyhdration.

hugs and kisses to you

Sorry for your loss
    I am so sorry for your loss.

You did everything that you could. Dehydration can occur very quickly. I am sure it was a combination of things that occured.

Try to breathe. Try to regroup and take some time for yourself.

Take Care,

Barb
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    nikkig said:

My mother was diagnosed with liver cancer and had 60 percent of her liver removed in 2008 and received a few doses of chemo, to 'just make sure'. 2009 she was cancer free. 2010 her cancer returned. She started chemo in June of 2010. She began at that time losing weight. She started at 125 and went down to 82. The cancer was growing and they wanted to add another agressive chemo. What does one do? She could hardly say no and surrender. She was already into this and had to move forward. 82 pounds, feeling ill, having no appetite she became dehydrated and was hospitalized. Her WBC was extremely high, fluids were in place, blood transfusion doing its thing, doctor allowed her to go home, but she must stay hydrated. My brother was taking care of her. A few days after...he was unable to be with her one night and half of the next day, but we both felt she was doing well and staying hydrated. That next day he took her to the hospital since her lips were peeling...she was that dehydrated.

My mother passed away last week. Her body was too weak to fight. Her heart stopped. I am sorry to share a sad story...but weight loss and dehydration is scary and agressive action should be taken to prevent this. I am now trying to figure what could have been done differently. Should she have been given steroids, never should have been sent home, natural remedies along with chemo, hospitalization/in home care with constant fluids and nurses, held off on the agressive chemo...I just don't know. I do not think I did enough 'googling' on this issue. The dehydration was so quick (all within one week). I did trust her doctors and felt that we were doing all we could do, but I don't know. I hope I can be of some help and give some insight on the severity of weight loss and deyhdration.

hugs and kisses to you

nikkig
    I am so sorry for your loss.
  • joy44
    joy44 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    nikkig said:

hugs and kisses to you

I am so so to here of your loss.
    Thank you for your story, and I am so sorry to here of your mother,just so you know you did everything right and everything you could do, know that, your mother does and she loves you for it. I know what it is like to help a parent with a horrible disease I lost my father to diabetes 10 years ago, he had a rough way, you think of all the woulda shouldas and maybes, but just know that you were there ,the love that you shared, and the memories you created.You will always have each other.

As for my husband I dont think he realized how bad he felt, on saturday I took him to our outpatient clincic and got him some fluids, he became a new man. He even went to work today.

Again I am so sorry, remember you have friends here on the board, we love you.
    Take care and BIG ((HUGS))