another type of BC.... angiosarcoma

Options
survivor9yrs
survivor9yrs Member Posts: 57
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
ladies,
all of you who have hadd lumpectomies and radiation for BC, be observant. watch for bruising and lumps. could happen 1 yr or longer after radiation. usually abt. 6-8 yrs later. this cancer is a very hostile cancer. rare, but becoming more common as more women are opting for rad. ask your drs. don't take the risk, have mastectomies. i wish i had. i wouldn't be facing this now. go to the sarcoma board. read abt. it.. also there is a page on facebook.. don't think this can't happen to you. even though it is rare, you could be the one....this cancer can also happen without radiation..
stay well
survivor9yrs

Comments

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    I am glad that I had rads
    I am glad that I had rads and a lumpectomy. It killed stray cancer cells, and, that is what I wanted, and, I kept my breast. There are risks to every treatment, every surgery, and, we have to do what is best for us. I am sending prayers and hugs to you! And, I am so very sorry that you got Angiosarcoma.

I thank you for this post. I will certainly keep this in mind.
  • canjuncutie
    canjuncutie Member Posts: 131
    Options
    they want me to have rads
    i had i mastecomy.thinking that i wont need rads .
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    My sister in law
    Is a 21 year survivor of this exact BC...IT IS INDEED RARE...SO rare in fact it was 3 months after her lumpectomy before an exact diagnoses was made.....It was sent to pathology at Walter Reed Army hospital...she then had a mastectomy... No chemo or radiation...I prefer not worry about "what if's"..my feeling is I couldn't control getting BC the first go round and can't control a recurrence...Radiation has and can cause numerous late term side effects...but since at this time it's the best we have at present...what are we to do....? And having a mastectomy doesn't guarantee it won't reccur...it's impossible to remove all breast tissue....Only during certain circumstances is a mastectomy preferable to lumpectomy..my 3 physicians told me that the survivor rate is no better with mastectomy than lumpectomy...we have to trust our medical team to give us the best advice and treatment available. All treatment is a crap shoot....my mom had an old saying..."if it doesn't kill you, it just may cure you!"

Peace to all
  • Queen of Swords
    Queen of Swords Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Angiosarcoma Support Group
    If you or someone you know has angiosarcoma, please consider joining our support group.

We are patients, family and friends who gather online (and in person!) to share our stories, our treatments, offer support, and do fund raising to pay for medical research targeting angiosarcoma specifically.

You can find us both on Facebook (search groups: "Angiosarcoma Cancer") and our website: www.angiosarcomaawareness.org.

Look forward to connecting with you there!