Chemo cancelled again due to low platelets

Options
Christine B.
Christine B. Member Posts: 137
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Went in for my 6th chemo this morning and got canceled because of low platelets and another count that determines ability to fight off infection. Will try again next week. This happened for my 5th chemo also and after a week my platelets rose from 63,000 to 265,000. Hope this happens again. I'm so down because my initial surgery in Sept.was not finished because I lost too much blood and my blood pressure dropped seriously low. So I was told by the gyn/onc that I'd have the chemo and then finish surgery and reverse colostomy when strong again. Now, the chemo/onc says I might not get surgery because of a bump I had in chest that did disappear after first chemo. He thinks chances are that it's still there. He said I'd probably always be in chemo. We'll have to see what happens when I do get my last chemo, hopefully next week, and then the gyn/onc sees my CT scans in March. I just so much hope for the chemo to do its trick so I can have the surgery and a chance for a break. Can someone stay on chemo without remission and still have a quality of life for a while? My CA125 has gone down from 2,400 steadily to in the 40's after my 4th chemo. Maybe that's a sign the chemo is working. Sorry if I've already asked these questions, it just seems like there's always something new to think about. Thanks for any input, Christine

Comments

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear
    Sorry to hear your chemo was delayed but maybe next week your counts will rise again and you can continue on. There are so many things we have to be on the look-out for, and we get past them and on to the next. Yor surgery will probaly be delayed until chemo is done,Hope everything works out for you ..stay strong...val
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options

sorry to hear
    Sorry to hear your chemo was delayed but maybe next week your counts will rise again and you can continue on. There are so many things we have to be on the look-out for, and we get past them and on to the next. Yor surgery will probaly be delayed until chemo is done,Hope everything works out for you ..stay strong...val

That drop in CA125 is VERY promising that the chemo works!
    My platelets dropped to 10,000 and I had to have a platelet transfusion, so I can certainly sympathize with your frustration. When they got THAT low, it took 2 weeks before I could safely get chemo, but 3 other times when my platelets were too low to make the cut for chemo, a week's delay did the trick even without a transfusion. I'll bet you'll be okay for chemo next week.

As far as having a good quality of life on constant chemo, I haven't had a break from chemo for the past 14 months and enjoy an excellent quality of life, symptom-free. (Since late 2008 I have only had one 5 1/2 month remission and one 4 1/2 month remission.) I still go out to eat with my friends and to my grandkid's sporting events; and have sleep-overs and busy weekends with my grandkids. I am transitioning my business to my 2 sons, but that still involves an active advisory and training role, so I still enjoy the satisfaction of meaningful employment. Your oncologist will do his best to factor in 'quality of life' in your chemo protocols if they feel that chemo is now a part of your life long-term. (((hugs)))