Power Port Flushing Disaster.....ER Visit!

Options
jararno
jararno Member Posts: 186
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
On Friday I went to my Oncology Office for a routine Port Flush. This was my first flush since finishing Chemo three months ago. The nurse had me in a chair and was trying to get a blood draw from the Port. As usual...no blood. She put some heparin in the Port and walked around the corner to see if the Doc wanted to get blood from my arm. I started feeling a bit warm and then realized I was going to pass out. I am not sure if I called for the nurse, but the next thing I knew there were at least 5 nurses and a Doc looking at me. I was still sitting in the chair and the nurses were setting up an IV fluid bag into my Port.

I heard that the EMS was on their way. I was out for about 45 seconds. The nurse said that I "clutched my chest and kind of seized".
My usually high blood pressure was very low. I was vomiting and losing my bladder.

Anyway I was hauled off to the ER and spent about 7 hours being poked, scanned and tested.
They decided that a few days in the hospital for observation was needed. I also got a CT Scan of my head, EKGS, echocardiograms, Chest X-Rays and lots of blood tests. The Port was used for my fluids during the hospital stay and actually gave blood and seemed normal when I was being released.

I had CT Scans of my chest, abdominal and pelvic areas last wednesday before this incident. I had to drink barium and had IV Contrast injected in my arm for these. This was the only "unusual" proceedures that I have had lately.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? I have heard that passing out from Chemo happens quite often, but I was fine throughout the treatments.

My Onc had wanted me to keep the Port in for about a year "just in case" and I am supposed to have a flush every three months. Now I am not sure what to do. Several of the ER DOCS thought getting the Port out would be a good idea. One Doc said that flushing in the hospital setting might be best....just in case. Any ideas??

I am still a bit nervous about all this! ( I kind of doubt that the Onc office will want to try a flush there again )

Thanks for listening to my ramble!

Take Care

Barb

Comments

• biglaur
    biglaur Member Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    flushing
    Hi Barb...just wanted to comment. I've had my port 2 years POST treatment (my doc is superstitious) I have had it flushed EVERY month since treatment ended. Always in a hospital, they usually get a blood return but sometimes not. I experienced dizziness twice...a nurse at one hospital "pushed" the heprin in quickly to...as she said "stir things up" in my port and really flush it out. Wowsers, I was dizzy for a couple of hours afterwards. I don't think I'll go back to her...it wasn't fun. I also noticed you said you had had a ct scan recently...after my 13th ct scan (I've had 26) I developed an allergy to the contrast and now have to premedicate prior to scans. Could that have been your problem...or maybe a combination of both???? Anyway...food for thought

Laurie
  • jararno
    jararno Member Posts: 186
    Options
    biglaur said:

flushing
    Hi Barb...just wanted to comment. I've had my port 2 years POST treatment (my doc is superstitious) I have had it flushed EVERY month since treatment ended. Always in a hospital, they usually get a blood return but sometimes not. I experienced dizziness twice...a nurse at one hospital "pushed" the heprin in quickly to...as she said "stir things up" in my port and really flush it out. Wowsers, I was dizzy for a couple of hours afterwards. I don't think I'll go back to her...it wasn't fun. I also noticed you said you had had a ct scan recently...after my 13th ct scan (I've had 26) I developed an allergy to the contrast and now have to premedicate prior to scans. Could that have been your problem...or maybe a combination of both???? Anyway...food for thought

Laurie

Flushing
    Wow! you have been through a lot! Thanks for the info! I do wonder if the heparin was put in too quickly. I do remember the nurse saying that whatever she was pumping into the port should clear it out! ( knocked me out! )

I also wondered about the meds fom the CT SCANS as I only had one CT SCAN prior to last week. It seems kinda suspicious that everything just happened to go wrong right after the CT SCAN.

I did have a bad reaction to my 11th Folfox treatment...the day after I had a Dye Study done on the same Port. It seems that my problems relate to this Port!!

I may have to question my ONC about the every three months for the flush as my Power Port info says that it should be flushed every month...like you.

I feel better knowing that others have had issues with the port flush as I was feeling kinda lost as to what caused the faint.

Thanks again!

Hope you are doing great....Stay away from the "crazy nurse"!

Take Care,

Barb
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Dang Barb
    I have absolutely no advice, but WOW, I'd be a bit "nervous" about it all too.
    Hoping next time all goes well for you.
    Winter Marie
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    flushed every 5 to 6 weeks
    Hi Barb,

Glad you made it, the ER sounds scary.

Here they nsisted on flushes at least every 6 weeks.

I just have a little port, not sure what a power port is, if its the same thing.

Its been working fine. Off to get folfox 7th treatment tomorrow which will be a good test.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Pete
  • Kenny H.
    Kenny H. Member Posts: 502 Member
    Options

flushed every 5 to 6 weeks
    Hi Barb,

Glad you made it, the ER sounds scary.

Here they nsisted on flushes at least every 6 weeks.

I just have a little port, not sure what a power port is, if its the same thing.

Its been working fine. Off to get folfox 7th treatment tomorrow which will be a good test.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Pete

My last 3 treatments they
    My last 3 treatments they did not get a blood return but went ahead anyway as liquids would still flow thru. On my last treatment nothing would go thru (by gravity drip)so had to go to a hosp to have Xrayed.

Sure enough tube had a clot in it near the vien next to heart. They ran a chemical used on heart patients (took 2 hrs) to de-clot it. Works good now but could not finish initial treatment, guess will just skip that session I think.
  • bruins1971
    bruins1971 Member Posts: 227
    Options
    Kenny H. said:

My last 3 treatments they
    My last 3 treatments they did not get a blood return but went ahead anyway as liquids would still flow thru. On my last treatment nothing would go thru (by gravity drip)so had to go to a hosp to have Xrayed.

Sure enough tube had a clot in it near the vien next to heart. They ran a chemical used on heart patients (took 2 hrs) to de-clot it. Works good now but could not finish initial treatment, guess will just skip that session I think.

FLUSHING
    Last week I went in to give blood for genetic testing to see if I carry the gene that could cause my kids to get colon cancer. They too had a hard time getting blood and I got dizzy and had chest pains. After about 30 minutes they called up the Nurse Practitioner who said the pain and dizziness was probably because they pushed it too fast and that the heparin is stored at room temp and our body is 98.6 so sometimes the difference in temps conflicts with our bodies and causes issues. As far as getting flushed every three months that seems like a very long time to wait. I was told I would have to have mine flushed every 4-6 weeks to make sure there is no problem with the port. My oncologist said he wanted to keep it in for two years just in case the cancer comes back and being stage 4 it has a good chance but I am not claiming that I am claiming to be cancer free and my CT scan tomorrow will show that God willing.

bobby in dallas