Dixigirl and Hair

yesyes2
yesyes2 Member Posts: 591
Beth,

I just wanted to know if you have let your hair grow from the super short do you had during the summer. I'm lucky that I can keep it short as our winters are very mild here in Northern California. Mine is still really short, 1/4" on back and sides and 1/2" on top. I love it as it suites my face and frame. And I don't have to deal with curls or dying my hair.

Leslie

Comments

• dixiegirl
    dixiegirl Member Posts: 1,043 Member
    Hair
    Yep, still super short. Maybe 1/4 in back and 3/4 inch on top right now. It's cold here, I just bought myself a stupid looking hat with fur on the inside with the flaps over the ears LOL. Looks goofy, but it's warm!

I will never have the patience or desire to waste so much time and energy on hair Leslie. There are too many better things to do...like sleep in every morning. I never realized till cancer took it away how unimportant hair is. It doesn't make me who I am, what I believe in or matter what others think.

I remember before it fell out how scared I was about it. I think it was the best lesson I could have learned. I am eternally grateful for that bald head :)

I admit, wish it was warmer here, but you know with chemo came menopause and hot flashes so it all works out in the end. If I had long hair and hot flashes, I would be one ****** person. At least with it short, the heat dissipates pretty quick. haha

How are you doing?

Take Care,
    Beth
  • yesyes2
    yesyes2 Member Posts: 591
    dixiegirl said:

Hair
    Yep, still super short. Maybe 1/4 in back and 3/4 inch on top right now. It's cold here, I just bought myself a stupid looking hat with fur on the inside with the flaps over the ears LOL. Looks goofy, but it's warm!

I will never have the patience or desire to waste so much time and energy on hair Leslie. There are too many better things to do...like sleep in every morning. I never realized till cancer took it away how unimportant hair is. It doesn't make me who I am, what I believe in or matter what others think.

I remember before it fell out how scared I was about it. I think it was the best lesson I could have learned. I am eternally grateful for that bald head :)

I admit, wish it was warmer here, but you know with chemo came menopause and hot flashes so it all works out in the end. If I had long hair and hot flashes, I would be one ****** person. At least with it short, the heat dissipates pretty quick. haha

How are you doing?

Take Care,
    Beth

Locks
    Hi Beth,

I think it's great that you still have your short hair. Do you get yours buzzed? I still go to the hair dresser and she finger cuts it. Takes a fairly long time and both she and I are very picky about the cut. But she says its fun to do. Right now the top is between 3/4" and 1 inch, it's way to long. Drives me crazy. I'm going down to no more than 1/2". Some times I too need to wear a wool hat, especially at night or when I go to SF. And I get lots of people coming up to me and saying they love my haircut and wish they were brave enough to do it.

Tonight Beth, I'm doing great. And we will see what tomorrow brings. How are you doing?

Take care my friend,
    Leslie
  • truckingalong
    truckingalong Member Posts: 445 Member
    yesyes2 said:

Locks
    Hi Beth,

I think it's great that you still have your short hair. Do you get yours buzzed? I still go to the hair dresser and she finger cuts it. Takes a fairly long time and both she and I are very picky about the cut. But she says its fun to do. Right now the top is between 3/4" and 1 inch, it's way to long. Drives me crazy. I'm going down to no more than 1/2". Some times I too need to wear a wool hat, especially at night or when I go to SF. And I get lots of people coming up to me and saying they love my haircut and wish they were brave enough to do it.

Tonight Beth, I'm doing great. And we will see what tomorrow brings. How are you doing?

Take care my friend,
    Leslie

Interesting!
    Hi, Beth and Leslie,

Guess what? Me too! Last week, I noticed my hair finally grew for the first time since Sept. The top is about 3/4 in. but in the back just barely - about 1/8th in. It is fuzzy because I am out of conditioner! It is really a new experience for me. My hair has no control... I am wearing scarves and knitted caps that one of the dental hygienists kindly knitted for me - some are pretty wild ones - I wore them anyway and got to focus on the new me rather than give a damn about my hair, ha. Looking forward to have more hair as I get cold easily.

I got to appreciate people who wear turbans and ethnic people are more friendly towards me when I wear turbans too.

Take care, my friends,
    Liz
  • JoanieP
    JoanieP Member Posts: 573

Interesting!
    Hi, Beth and Leslie,

Guess what? Me too! Last week, I noticed my hair finally grew for the first time since Sept. The top is about 3/4 in. but in the back just barely - about 1/8th in. It is fuzzy because I am out of conditioner! It is really a new experience for me. My hair has no control... I am wearing scarves and knitted caps that one of the dental hygienists kindly knitted for me - some are pretty wild ones - I wore them anyway and got to focus on the new me rather than give a damn about my hair, ha. Looking forward to have more hair as I get cold easily.

I got to appreciate people who wear turbans and ethnic people are more friendly towards me when I wear turbans too.

Take care, my friends,
    Liz

short hair
    Yep I the love the short hair. I don't do anything when I get up. Sometimes it sticks up and I plaster it down with water. I get lots of compliments and people tell me not to grow it longer again. Makes me wonder how bad I looked:)
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    JoanieP said:

short hair
    Yep I the love the short hair. I don't do anything when I get up. Sometimes it sticks up and I plaster it down with water. I get lots of compliments and people tell me not to grow it longer again. Makes me wonder how bad I looked:)

Me too...
    Hi Joanie,
    I laughed when I read your post because I felt the same way after I got my long hair cut off. Everyone kept saying saying Ohhh how nice it looked and how it made me look soooo much younger,and on and on and afterwards I thought.."Well geez..how come no-one said anything when it was long"??? Made me wonder too if I looked that awful BEFORE I cut it! hahaha! Now I could care less what anyone thinks and don't plan to ever let it grow long again. Our priorities sure do change when it comes to stuff like this..(thank goodness)..ha!
    Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    allmost60 said:

Me too...
    Hi Joanie,
    I laughed when I read your post because I felt the same way after I got my long hair cut off. Everyone kept saying saying Ohhh how nice it looked and how it made me look soooo much younger,and on and on and afterwards I thought.."Well geez..how come no-one said anything when it was long"??? Made me wonder too if I looked that awful BEFORE I cut it! hahaha! Now I could care less what anyone thinks and don't plan to ever let it grow long again. Our priorities sure do change when it comes to stuff like this..(thank goodness)..ha!
    Love...Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

Long hair.
    Sue,
    Have you noticed you hair starting to fill in now. Mine actually started to grow back in just before my last Chemo treatment. It was still falling out,but it was growing in at the same time. I have noticed it is really growing slow though. Its only grown about 3/4 of an inch in 4 months on top.What did not fall out is growing normal. I cut it all short right before the last treatment and thats when I noticed it was growing back in on top. The thing is the hair on the sides is growing twice as fast as the hair on top. I wonder if this is normal. The strands have gotten thicker,but just not growing that fast. Maybe some of the other members can shed some light on that. John(FNHL-1-4A-5/10)
  • allmost60
    allmost60 Member Posts: 3,178 Member
    COBRA666 said:

Long hair.
    Sue,
    Have you noticed you hair starting to fill in now. Mine actually started to grow back in just before my last Chemo treatment. It was still falling out,but it was growing in at the same time. I have noticed it is really growing slow though. Its only grown about 3/4 of an inch in 4 months on top.What did not fall out is growing normal. I cut it all short right before the last treatment and thats when I noticed it was growing back in on top. The thing is the hair on the sides is growing twice as fast as the hair on top. I wonder if this is normal. The strands have gotten thicker,but just not growing that fast. Maybe some of the other members can shed some light on that. John(FNHL-1-4A-5/10)

Thinned
    Hey John,
    I didn't lose all of my hair, as a matter of fact I was amazed how much stayed, but it got really really thin around the crown. My hair guy kept coming over throughout treatment and kept it trimmed at the crown and sides to blend in so that I wouldn't look patchy with long and short lengths showing. He really did an amzing job. My new hair is coming in pure white...a really nice silvery white which means I'll never have to color it again. It was just so weird how my length didn't thin..just all around the crown and front. Now I have these baby fine 1/4" tuffs of hair coming in but I'm able to blend them in with the longer sections with the help of some good hair care products my hair guy gave me. It takes me 10 minutes from wash to style now and I'm thrilled with the low maint it involves. Who wants to spend an hour messing with hair...NOT ME! My legs and hips can't handle that kind of torture anyways, so it's been a "win win" deal for me. Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)
  • COBRA666
    COBRA666 Member Posts: 2,401 Member
    allmost60 said:

Thinned
    Hey John,
    I didn't lose all of my hair, as a matter of fact I was amazed how much stayed, but it got really really thin around the crown. My hair guy kept coming over throughout treatment and kept it trimmed at the crown and sides to blend in so that I wouldn't look patchy with long and short lengths showing. He really did an amzing job. My new hair is coming in pure white...a really nice silvery white which means I'll never have to color it again. It was just so weird how my length didn't thin..just all around the crown and front. Now I have these baby fine 1/4" tuffs of hair coming in but I'm able to blend them in with the longer sections with the help of some good hair care products my hair guy gave me. It takes me 10 minutes from wash to style now and I'm thrilled with the low maint it involves. Who wants to spend an hour messing with hair...NOT ME! My legs and hips can't handle that kind of torture anyways, so it's been a "win win" deal for me. Sue (FNHL-2-3A-6/10)

Hair
    Sue,
    My hair started growing back and was real light in color. Almost transparent. It looked like baby fuzz. It took a few weeks until any color really started to show. My hair is light anyway,but certainly not transparent. Its a mousy brown and for most of my lfe has always been. I do not have any gray hair. It does not run in my family. My mother is 85 and and has cold black hair. You can count what few gray hairs she has on one hand, Her brothers were the same way.My father was just ready to turn 71 when he died and the only gray hair was in his sideburns. I am so glad my hair did grow back at all. I have heard everything from no hair to very coarse texture,straight or curly, even different colors. I don't think I would look good in an afro. My hair has been straight and fine all my life and I guess I was fortunate its the way it grew back. Your silver hair can still change to the original color in time. John(FNHL-1-4A-5/10)