What do you Enjoy doing

Options

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    buzz99 said:

Great idea for a thread
    It is nice to read posts about the happier things in life. Buzz and I are avid geocachers! Just before he started treatment in September, we reached our goal of 5000 finds and ranked 7th in the state of New Mexico. If you haven't heard of Geocaching, it is a high tech treasure hunt using a gps to locate hidden items. The items vary in size from a tiny magnetic "button" to a large ammo can. All caches (no matter how tiny) have a log book (a tiny strip of paper in the case of the button-sized cache). The finder logs in the book and online. The site (www.geocaching.com) keeps track of all activity. We have hidden 181 caches and most are still active. Buzz has little stamina right now but we are anxious to get back to our passion. BTW we have social gatherings called "Events" also.

Hi buzz

I have always wanted to be a treasure hunter, but under the Ocean. I lived on an Island where there were 7 sunken ships full of Gold. But an American group call Fathom Two came back in 1969 and stole everything from the local Islanders. Now days there are only very small coins and things that they dropped and left behind.

Keep doing what you love to do.
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi fispotpe

At one time in my life I was a diesel engine Mechanic, I also worked as an Electrician for Swifeships many years ago. Now in my shop I like small projects that keep what is left of my mind busy. I repair things like my Grandson Go Cart and my daughter refrigerator when they brake; it feels good to be able to just do something I use love to do again.

Taking care of my girls
    I was eligible for retirement at the time of diagnosis and had been planning it anyway so for the moment I'm happily housebound for the Chicago winter. I feel good if dinner is ready for my wife and daughter when they get home from work and school. I tend to the house chores, mainly laundry and cooking and talking outloud to a dog and cat. I spend mornings here mostly. I'm currently just starting/learning to install hardwood flooring in my home. The carpeting is fifteen years old and I never had time while working. I painted the garage over the summer. Seems I've neglected some maintance chores while working. I spend some time every day doing some form of exercise to combat all the side effects. I regularly do Yoga (really helps with the neck) and Pilates and run on the treadmill. I relish any day without a doctors appointment. I love to play chess and like to garden in the summer, vegetables and flowers.
  • mjdouty
    mjdouty Member Posts: 6
    Options
    what I enjoy doing
    I;m an amature genealogist and right now I miss. My left eye really aches from surgery, The other thing i really love and miss is volunteering for disaster Red Cross nursing. A couple of years ago went to S.D to help with the floods setting up first aid stations and shelters. I want to do this again I loved helping people in crises.
  • delnative
    delnative Member Posts: 450
    Options
    mjdouty said:

what I enjoy doing
    I;m an amature genealogist and right now I miss. My left eye really aches from surgery, The other thing i really love and miss is volunteering for disaster Red Cross nursing. A couple of years ago went to S.D to help with the floods setting up first aid stations and shelters. I want to do this again I loved helping people in crises.

Hunting
    One of my greatest joys is sitting in a deer stand or a duck blind just as the sun is coming up. It doesn't really matter if I get anything most days, so long as I can bag a deer (or two or three) for the freezer every year. (I don't buy meat. If I don't shoot it, we don't eat it.)
    I've told my pastor not to take offense, but that I feel closer to God when I'm out in the woods at dawn than I do when I'm in church. He grew up in east Tennessee and hunted as a lad, and he allows as how I'm probably right.

--Jim in Delaware
  • sportsman
    sportsman Member Posts: 97
    Options
    Living Life
    I enjoy living my life to the fullest extent possible even though it is not what it was BC. Istill enjoy my sports especially football, baseball and golf I enjoy reading the Bible and trying to live like God wants me to live
  • Hondo
    Options
    delnative said:

Hunting
    One of my greatest joys is sitting in a deer stand or a duck blind just as the sun is coming up. It doesn't really matter if I get anything most days, so long as I can bag a deer (or two or three) for the freezer every year. (I don't buy meat. If I don't shoot it, we don't eat it.)
    I've told my pastor not to take offense, but that I feel closer to God when I'm out in the woods at dawn than I do when I'm in church. He grew up in east Tennessee and hunted as a lad, and he allows as how I'm probably right.

--Jim in Delaware

Hi Jim
    I don’t know what it is about nature but when I am out in the woods or in the garden I too feel closer to God sometimes.

My Son will not take me Dear hunting with him anymore and I am not allowed to go by my self, the reason why. He claims that when I go with him none of the dear every come out because I am praying for them to stay away. I love to shoot them with my Camera but he likes to shoot them with his gun. He never did get a dear while I am there with him…….
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Hondo said:

Hi John
    I am with you on fishing but I just don’t get the chance to do any more and with my eye sight going I may never do it again. I also forgot scuba diving something else I love but will never be able to do again.

Take care
    Hondo

HONDO - No Fishing.....I don't think so...
    When you get here, your butt is going fishing...I'll make it easy for you whether I have to line my boat with cushions and carry you azz on and off of the boat, LOL....

Brother John
  • Hondo
    Options
    sportsman said:

Living Life
    I enjoy living my life to the fullest extent possible even though it is not what it was BC. Istill enjoy my sports especially football, baseball and golf I enjoy reading the Bible and trying to live like God wants me to live

Bible
    Brother all I can say is Amen to reading the good book, I too enjoy that every morning
  • ekdennie
    ekdennie Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    what I enjoy
    right now I enjoy waking up in the morning, getting a big mug of either warm coffee or tea, then sitting down at my kitchen table and watching the sun rise. I hate getting up in the morning, but I figure if I must, and I do, I might as well make it enjoyable. Most days I can see horses running through their pastures, hawks swooping down chasing down a good meal, and the neighbor kids throwing rocks at each other, when their momma isn't looking, while waiting for the bus.
    I enjoy finishing all the projects I was going to get to "someday"
    and I enjoy a cuddle with my kids
    I enjoy a snuggle with my husband
    I am enjoying life and all of the beauties that God has chosen to share with me.
  • josh r.
    josh r. Member Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    ratface said:

Taking care of my girls
    I was eligible for retirement at the time of diagnosis and had been planning it anyway so for the moment I'm happily housebound for the Chicago winter. I feel good if dinner is ready for my wife and daughter when they get home from work and school. I tend to the house chores, mainly laundry and cooking and talking outloud to a dog and cat. I spend mornings here mostly. I'm currently just starting/learning to install hardwood flooring in my home. The carpeting is fifteen years old and I never had time while working. I painted the garage over the summer. Seems I've neglected some maintance chores while working. I spend some time every day doing some form of exercise to combat all the side effects. I regularly do Yoga (really helps with the neck) and Pilates and run on the treadmill. I relish any day without a doctors appointment. I love to play chess and like to garden in the summer, vegetables and flowers.

Lots of action out there
    Hi friends,
    It's great to read about all the activities going on with our club members. My wife and I volunteer delivering Meals on Wheels and get more from those we serve than we give. I continue to play tennis, though wear and tear has now limited me to doubles but I do compete three times a week. Prior to having a career in education I ran a couple restaurants now I find great pleasure creating dishes for friends and family. In my youth I wanted to build, paint and play music. The skills were not there so I turned to cooking as my canvass which my family and friends enjoy more than my previous artistic endeavers, as do I. Let's all keep moving and enjoying what we can as long as we can. All the best, Josh r.
  • davidgskinner
    davidgskinner Member Posts: 81
    Options
    ekdennie said:

what I enjoy
    right now I enjoy waking up in the morning, getting a big mug of either warm coffee or tea, then sitting down at my kitchen table and watching the sun rise. I hate getting up in the morning, but I figure if I must, and I do, I might as well make it enjoyable. Most days I can see horses running through their pastures, hawks swooping down chasing down a good meal, and the neighbor kids throwing rocks at each other, when their momma isn't looking, while waiting for the bus.
    I enjoy finishing all the projects I was going to get to "someday"
    and I enjoy a cuddle with my kids
    I enjoy a snuggle with my husband
    I am enjoying life and all of the beauties that God has chosen to share with me.

I like
    I find that just walking is the greatest thing for me. Doesn't really matter where (although the hills of east San Diego County are more interesting than you might think) , and I don't have any desire to go fast. It is like a meditation...step, step, step, step. That's what got me through the roughest parts of treatment. Just going for a walk...no matter how short.
  • Vivi C
    Vivi C Member Posts: 70
    Options
    I enjoy spending time with
    I enjoy spending time with my amazing husband and two daughters and reading the Word of God especially the Psalms.

This experience has taught me to appreciate and relish the simple things in life. I am thankful to be alive and to be able to eat and swallow again!
  • Jan Trinks
    Jan Trinks Member Posts: 477
    Options
    Needlework and Reading
    Hi Hondo!

I enjoy doing knitting, crocheting (I have finished the afghan for the chemo room I made and am going to give to them in Charlie's memory and honor - my grandmother would be soooooooo proud!) counted x-stitch, cooking, and reading. I really enjoy not working right now and do go to NC about 1/month. Right now it's really good for me and Charlie's parents too! And of course my babies, Rowdy, Blue and Sammy and just being at home.

Basketcase (Jan)
  • rmkbrad
    rmkbrad Member Posts: 176
    Options
    Just being able to help
    I just enjoy being able to help around the house, dishes, laundry and do some small projects. This summer I finished my shop I started to build a couple of years ago. The inspector that gave me the final asked why it took two years, after I explained that I was fighting cancer he told me he had also went through thyroid cancer a few years back. Getting my three sons ready for school in the mornings and dropping them off, and then picking them up after school, our house seems to be the place for there friends to come over and do projects or just hang out. Except when the dreaded chemo takes place and then I am on quarinteen and no one is allowed to come over, the boss "wifes" orders. I figure god gave me cancer to make me slow down and really appreciate what I have, and I am truly blessed for what I do have. I can't wait to get up in the morning and enjoy my morning cup of coffee with a few cookies before my daily does of healthy food starts.
  • Joel4
    Joel4 Member Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    rmkbrad said:

Just being able to help
    I just enjoy being able to help around the house, dishes, laundry and do some small projects. This summer I finished my shop I started to build a couple of years ago. The inspector that gave me the final asked why it took two years, after I explained that I was fighting cancer he told me he had also went through thyroid cancer a few years back. Getting my three sons ready for school in the mornings and dropping them off, and then picking them up after school, our house seems to be the place for there friends to come over and do projects or just hang out. Except when the dreaded chemo takes place and then I am on quarinteen and no one is allowed to come over, the boss "wifes" orders. I figure god gave me cancer to make me slow down and really appreciate what I have, and I am truly blessed for what I do have. I can't wait to get up in the morning and enjoy my morning cup of coffee with a few cookies before my daily does of healthy food starts.

Photography
    I love photography and birding. A few years back I combined the two interests and started taking pictures of birds. I spend a lot of time out in the woods, or even in my yard, with my camera in a blind.
    I started putting bird calendars together a couple of years back and it has been very rewarding.
    I also love listening to music and playing my guitar. I have two young children and home and I enjoy spending time with them do all sorts of things. They are wonderful kids and I am very blessed.
    I too love reading my Bible and need to do it more often!

I remember after being diagnosed going out taking pictures and it just didn't feel the same. The whole time I'd be taking pictures I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to do it for much longer. Once I adjusted and had a more positive outlook I was able to enjoy it again more than I ever had.
  • Hondo
    Options
    Skiffin16 said:

HONDO - No Fishing.....I don't think so...
    When you get here, your butt is going fishing...I'll make it easy for you whether I have to line my boat with cushions and carry you azz on and off of the boat, LOL....

Brother John

John

I like that brother John stuff, I hope we will not need the cushions but might need a place for my Seeing Eye wife who is afraid to let me do anything by my self anymore.

Thanks John this means more to me then you will ever know my friend
    Hondo
  • Jimbo55
    Jimbo55 Member Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Joel4 said:

Photography
    I love photography and birding. A few years back I combined the two interests and started taking pictures of birds. I spend a lot of time out in the woods, or even in my yard, with my camera in a blind.
    I started putting bird calendars together a couple of years back and it has been very rewarding.
    I also love listening to music and playing my guitar. I have two young children and home and I enjoy spending time with them do all sorts of things. They are wonderful kids and I am very blessed.

I remember after being diagnosed going out taking pictures and it just didn't feel the same. The whole time I'd be taking pictures I'd be worried that I wouldn't be able to do it for much longer. Once I adjusted and had a more positive outlook I was able to enjoy it again more than I ever had.

Yes birding. Came to me by
    Yes birding. Came to me by accident really, as an offshoot of the nature preservation program we have implemented at our golf course here. There are a number of areas in and around the golf course we have planted with native species and basically leave them alone. In these 'natural areas' we have planted hundreds upon hundreds of trees and also created several wetlands. Working with a few of the local conservation groups, we have released species of endangered turtles into the wetlands. As these natural areas mature, they are attracting more and more birds and butterflies to the site. A birding organization comes out several times a year to conduct a bird survey. Probably the best part of this is its all part of my regular work activities. I get to ride around on a golf cart with my dog on the seat next to me and take care of these areas. Cheers

Jimbo
  • Hondo
    Options
    Jimbo55 said:

Yes birding. Came to me by
    Yes birding. Came to me by accident really, as an offshoot of the nature preservation program we have implemented at our golf course here. There are a number of areas in and around the golf course we have planted with native species and basically leave them alone. In these 'natural areas' we have planted hundreds upon hundreds of trees and also created several wetlands. Working with a few of the local conservation groups, we have released species of endangered turtles into the wetlands. As these natural areas mature, they are attracting more and more birds and butterflies to the site. A birding organization comes out several times a year to conduct a bird survey. Probably the best part of this is its all part of my regular work activities. I get to ride around on a golf cart with my dog on the seat next to me and take care of these areas. Cheers

Jimbo

Hi Jimbo

You sound like you have the best of both worlds, doing something you love to do at work. I love my job but would prefer to be in my brother’s botanical garden for the rest of my life, I just love being in nature.

Take care and keep doing what you love to do
    Hondo
  • Hondo
    Options
    Joel4 said:

Photography

Hi Joel

I remember doing Birds as a leader in the Boy Scout, I use to love it, just teaching the Kids about the things God created and how nature all works together was a great enjoyment. You need to make a trip to Honduras, we have some very colorful birds there, God can really get creative when it comes to birds.
  • Hondo
    Options

Needlework and Reading
    Hi Hondo!

I enjoy doing knitting, crocheting (I have finished the afghan for the chemo room I made and am going to give to them in Charlie's memory and honor - my grandmother would be soooooooo proud!) counted x-stitch, cooking, and reading. I really enjoy not working right now and do go to NC about 1/month. Right now it's really good for me and Charlie's parents too! And of course my babies, Rowdy, Blue and Sammy and just being at home.

Basketcase (Jan)

Hi Jan

I am really cold these days and in need of knitted sweater, just glad to hear you are doing well and enjoying the things you are doing.

Hondo