Look out Europe, here comes Sonia, Kathi, and Kathy

Options
khl8
khl8 Member Posts: 807
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Well the week has finally arrived, I leave this coming Thursday for my trip to London! And it is going to be amazing!
Somehow all the planets have aligned and Sonia, KathiM and I are all going to meet face to face in London! Sonia will be traveling my train and KathiM is going to fly in from Holland!
I never thought I would travel to Europe, but when this opportunity to visist my temporarly relocated girlfriend came up, I just could not resist this! And I never thought whenI began this cancer journey that I would someday meet my fellow survivors and now friends from all over the world.
So here is my little open letter to cancer.
Dear Cancer,
God how I hate you, you have put me and my loved ones through hell and back. YOu have made me sick, and you have turned my body into a roadmap of scars. You have scared me beyond what any normal person should be handle. You have made me learn medical terminology that I never wanted to know.
But Cancer,
you have also given me something amazing. The wisdom to know that life is so short and to get out and enjoy every moment. you have taught me that fear is in my mind and i can overcome anything. I still hate you, I wish I had never met you, but Cancer you are a part of me and just so you know? You are only a part of me, I am a person who has battled Cancer, not a cancer attached to a person! Oh and cancer? While I am standing in the Waterloo station ( thousands of miles from my home in Ohiio) with Kathi and Sonia, I will give you just a tiny thank you, just for a moment, because after that, I will hate you once again!

Kathy

Comments

• Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Atta Girl........
    Thats the attitude that never has regrets.....good for you Kathy !!! You have placed a hula hoop around you and not allowed cancer inside that ring...That ring is your safety zone and you only allow inside that ring the things you want. Nothing bad gets in.....remind yourself everyday that you control what is allowed in and what is allowed out. Have a great European Vacation...........Love to ya, Buzz
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    exciting
    Wow- I hope you have an amazing time in Europe and fun meeting Sonia and Kathi!!
    Wish I were there!! :)
    Report in and let us know how it went!

Lisa
  • pepebcn
    pepebcn Member Posts: 6,331 Member
    Options
    lisa42 said:

exciting
    Wow- I hope you have an amazing time in Europe and fun meeting Sonia and Kathi!!

Lisa

Thats nice Kathy , l would like to go there to have our
    own Colon Palooza European Branch! haha ! it's just 1.5 hours from here but I'm still a little bit weak after my radio/chemo, maybe next year we can organize an European version! Hugs to you three ! by the way don't have even a minut of mercy to your cancer! Once in Waterloo ,tell him :
    I have beaten you, I have smashed you and despite all your malefic intentions I'm here in London enjoying life!Fu..you bloody beast!.
    At least say it from my part!
    Hugs dear ,enjoy your days and welcome to our ancient Europe!
  • hopeforcure49
    hopeforcure49 Member Posts: 111
    Options
    You go Kathy
    Go have a ton of fun and enjoy to your max. This is how we survive, on life. So go gettem! Blessings from Lourdes
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I'm closing in!!!!!
    Found tickets thru EasyJet....goes to Gatewick, instead of Heathrow...BUT there is an express train that takes me to Victoria Station in 30 minutes' time...

Just finalizing my Dutch part before I book....looks like I can make an early train to Amsterdam, and make the flight with no trouble.....

SO, it is looking VERY hopeful!!! YEA!!!!

Dutch hugs, Kathi
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Look out, Europe!
    Wonderful! Wish I could be there for that one. I know it is going to be a lovely time!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • tootsie1 said:

Look out, Europe!
    Wonderful! Wish I could be there for that one. I know it is going to be a lovely time!

*hugs*
    Gail

This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • khl8
    Options
    unknown said:

Gracie,
    we are actually

Gracie,
    we are actually converging in a central location to meet for coffee, I am gong to London to visit a friend from the US and since Sonia lives a few hours away this is how it all started, Kathi will be coming as well as it is a hop skip and a jump from where she is in Holland!
  • khl8
    Options
    KathiM said:

I'm closing in!!!!!
    Found tickets thru EasyJet....goes to Gatewick, instead of Heathrow...BUT there is an express train that takes me to Victoria Station in 30 minutes' time...

Just finalizing my Dutch part before I book....looks like I can make an early train to Amsterdam, and make the flight with no trouble.....

SO, it is looking VERY hopeful!!! YEA!!!!

Dutch hugs, Kathi

Hooray!!!!!!!!

Hooray!!!!!!!!
  • khl8
    Options
    lisa42 said:

exciting

Lisa

Lisa,
    I most certainly

Lisa,
    I most certainly will!! and will post some pictures too!
  • AnneCan
    AnneCan Member Posts: 3,673 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it to the max!
    I hope you have a FANTASTIC time.
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Never ever
    I don't think Europe will ever be the same after you three meet up.
    Have a great coffee!!!!
    Winter Marie
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    Love it!
    Love it Kathy! Oh do have a great time!

Aloha,

Kathleen
  • KathiM
    Options
    I'm booked!!!!!-CP8.5...Europe!
    So, I will stand with you in Waterloo station, and say thanks to the beast for bringing us together....but then curse it in the next breath for all the pain and suffering it brings!!!!

Don't forget to 'mind the gap'...and always look the other way (from America) before stepping off the curb...the Brits drive on the opposite side, remember (I can't say 'wrong side'...lol..),...in London, it's lovely...on many corners,it's painted on the street to 'look right'....ROFL!

I was watching a fav show of mine on the BBC last night...Top Gear (you can get it in America on BBC America). It's 3 lovely men who showcase cars...mainly VERY fast ones (Lamborginis, Farraris, etc), in true British style (VERY 'stiff upper lip', with humor). It is a HOOT! Anyway, last night, they had a guest driver from Germany, who was complaining (silly German...lol) about the car that he had to test drive was all wrong...the steering on the 'wrong' side-to which he was corrected by Jeremy (the stiffest upper lip in the Top Gear group) that this was the 'correct/right' side. I laughed soooooo hard!!! In another segment, their Australian crew was pitted against the British group, with MUCH laughter...Upside down cars for the Assies, etc...and one comment about the motorcycles they had to use...proudly presented as being from Australia...to which the Assies corrected and said 'these are great bikes, but from Austria'....to which the reply was "Oh, sorry chaps, that doesn't make much difference, does it?" (There is always this joke running Australia/Austria....lol). I laughed SOOOOO hard!!!

My plane leaves at 17:02 (5:02), I need to leave Victoria station by 3:30 or so...Do we have time for a walk thru Harrods? This famous store can sell you anything...at one point, someone ordered and bought a full-sized, LIVE elephant there! Something you should NOT miss, dear Kathy!!!

Dutch hugs, Kathi
  • Love it!
    Love it Kathy! Oh do have a great time!

Aloha,

Kathleen

• khl8
    Options
    KathiM said:

I'm booked!!!!!-CP8.5...Europe!
    So, I will stand with you in Waterloo station, and say thanks to the beast for bringing us together....but then curse it in the next breath for all the pain and suffering it brings!!!!

Don't forget to 'mind the gap'...and always look the other way (from America) before stepping off the curb...the Brits drive on the opposite side, remember (I can't say 'wrong side'...lol..),...in London, it's lovely...on many corners,it's painted on the street to 'look right'....ROFL!

I was watching a fav show of mine on the BBC last night...Top Gear (you can get it in America on BBC America). It's 3 lovely men who showcase cars...mainly VERY fast ones (Lamborginis, Farraris, etc), in true British style (VERY 'stiff upper lip', with humor). It is a HOOT! Anyway, last night, they had a guest driver from Germany, who was complaining (silly German...lol) about the car that he had to test drive was all wrong...the steering on the 'wrong' side-to which he was corrected by Jeremy (the stiffest upper lip in the Top Gear group) that this was the 'correct/right' side. I laughed soooooo hard!!! In another segment, their Australian crew was pitted against the British group, with MUCH laughter...Upside down cars for the Assies, etc...and one comment about the motorcycles they had to use...proudly presented as being from Australia...to which the Assies corrected and said 'these are great bikes, but from Austria'....to which the reply was "Oh, sorry chaps, that doesn't make much difference, does it?" (There is always this joke running Australia/Austria....lol). I laughed SOOOOO hard!!!

My plane leaves at 17:02 (5:02), I need to leave Victoria station by 3:30 or so...Do we have time for a walk thru Harrods? This famous store can sell you anything...at one point, someone ordered and bought a full-sized, LIVE elephant there! Something you should NOT miss, dear Kathy!!!

Dutch hugs, Kathi

Kathi,
    We will be a sight,

Kathi,
    We will be a sight, for one moment in time to give Cancer a small, very small thank you and then cursing it to the heavens!
    I have been warned about crossing the streets, I will have to be overly cautious until I get the hang of it.
    My husband and son love Top Gear and I have seen it as well!
    YES, YES, YES to Harrods, I have heard a trip to London is not complete without a trip there!
    Kathy
  • KathiM
    Options
    It's getting close, my dear Kathy!
    Have a safe flight, and drink PLENTY of fluids in air (stay away from the water in the taps on the plane...ask for bottled water...).

I'm getting soooo excited to meet you in person!!! YEA!!!!

Dutch hugs, Kathi
  • khl8
    Options
    KathiM said:

It's getting close, my dear Kathy!
    Have a safe flight, and drink PLENTY of fluids in air (stay away from the water in the taps on the plane...ask for bottled water...).

I'm getting soooo excited to meet you in person!!! YEA!!!!

Dutch hugs, Kathi

I will have a safe flight,
    I will have a safe flight, bought myself a nice soft neck pillow so I can hopefully get some sleep as I will be flying all night long. Maybe I should grab a few cocktails between connecting flights as this always puts me to sleep! My body will think it is 4:30am when I arrive in London and I must stay awake until my normal bedtime after I arrive so I can somehow get ahead of the jetlag!

Kathy
  • KathiM
    Options
    khl8 said:

I will have a safe flight,
    I will have a safe flight, bought myself a nice soft neck pillow so I can hopefully get some sleep as I will be flying all night long. Maybe I should grab a few cocktails between connecting flights as this always puts me to sleep! My body will think it is 4:30am when I arrive in London and I must stay awake until my normal bedtime after I arrive so I can somehow get ahead of the jetlag!

Kathy

I also fly overnight...LAX to AMS.....
    It's great if you can sleep, many people can't....I'm lucky...I get within a few miles of an airport, any airport, and I get sleepy...ROFL!

Usually what I do (it's 9 hours later in The Netherlands than in California) is take a LITTLE nap in the late afternoon after we arrive...1.5 hours max...and then eat dinner, see everyone, and hit the bed at about 10pm or 11pm, whichever I can make it to. Then, normally, I'm over jet lag by the next night...

Oh, and the in-flight exercises do wonders...and getting up every once in a while and walk around...

On KLM, international flights, we can order wine at no charge...I don't normally drink alcohol(it dehydrates me...) when I make this long trip...but I had wine with dinner this last time, and slept like a baby for almost 6 hours! We are straight thru, nonstop, 10 hours in the air...so sleeping is easier than with a connection...

BIG dutch hugs! Kathi