hernia

Options
colon2
colon2 Member Posts: 183
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
It has been 2 years since 2nd resection surgery. Finished chemo over a year ago, and 2nd follow up colonoscopy was good, but now it seems I have developed a hernia along the incision line.Has anyone else had this problem? I wasn't sure what it was and at my 3 month oncology check up the other day I asked him what is this lump that gets hard if I cough, and he said "that's a hernia". I haven't been to the regular Dr yet. Does anyone know if it always requires surgery for repair, or do we just leave it alone.?
Carletta

Comments

• khl8
    khl8 Member Posts: 807
    Options
    Carletta,
    I just had Hernia

Carletta,
    I just had Hernia repair surgery for hernia's along my incision site as well as my ileostomy site. Mine was pretty bad, I had a large bulge at the ostomy site whenever I was ready to go to the bathroom! I needed to have it corrected, your doctor will tell you the best course of action, mine beleived that it woldjust get worse over time so repair was the only option.
    I am about 7 weeks post op right now and I am feeling great. I have no more surgical soreness, back in my blue jeans, and it looks as if they may have done a little work while i was out, the tummy looks a little flatter than before. The too found mine about a year after the chemo ended!

Kathy
  • grannyc
    grannyc Member Posts: 63
    Options
    khl8 said:

Carletta,
    I just had Hernia

Carletta,
    I just had Hernia repair surgery for hernia's along my incision site as well as my ileostomy site. Mine was pretty bad, I had a large bulge at the ostomy site whenever I was ready to go to the bathroom! I needed to have it corrected, your doctor will tell you the best course of action, mine beleived that it woldjust get worse over time so repair was the only option.
    I am about 7 weeks post op right now and I am feeling great. I have no more surgical soreness, back in my blue jeans, and it looks as if they may have done a little work while i was out, the tummy looks a little flatter than before. The too found mine about a year after the chemo ended!

Kathy

I had hernia repair too
    I had my hernia repair in Nov and like Kathy I feel back to normal,ine wa also pretty extensive. surgery of any kind sucks, but it does help!

GrannyC
  • colon2
    colon2 Member Posts: 183
    Options
    grannyc said:

I had hernia repair too
    I had my hernia repair in Nov and like Kathy I feel back to normal,ine wa also pretty extensive. surgery of any kind sucks, but it does help!

GrannyC

thanks
    thank you for the replies. I guess I will have to make an appointment this week and find out what to do next. If they opt for repair surgery, I'm gonna ask if they can do Tummy tuck too. Why not ? lol. All they can do is say no.Thanks again
    Carletta
  • just4Brooks
    just4Brooks Member Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    colon2 said:

thanks
    thank you for the replies. I guess I will have to make an appointment this week and find out what to do next. If they opt for repair surgery, I'm gonna ask if they can do Tummy tuck too. Why not ? lol. All they can do is say no.Thanks again
    Carletta

I think
    I have one too from my last surgery. Going to wait it out and see what they want to do about it or maybe it will correct it'self on it's own
  • Patteee
    Patteee Member Posts: 945
    Options
    colon2 said:

thanks
    Carletta

I asked for a tummy tuck
    I asked for a tummy tuck when they did hernia repair. My colorectal surgeon rolled her eyes and said, "if I had a dime for every time I was asked that....". She also said, "no, I don't do that".

My repair was on my colostomy site. She said VERY COMON. I did wonder if it is so common why it wasn't dealt with when they did the take down of colostomy? Seems to me that would have been one less hospital stay and less money the insurance company paid out. Seems to me that it was planned that way.....

I had no problems with the repair.
  • Lori-S
    Lori-S Member Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Patteee said:

I asked for a tummy tuck
    I asked for a tummy tuck when they did hernia repair. My colorectal surgeon rolled her eyes and said, "if I had a dime for every time I was asked that....". She also said, "no, I don't do that".

My repair was on my colostomy site. She said VERY COMON. I did wonder if it is so common why it wasn't dealt with when they did the take down of colostomy? Seems to me that would have been one less hospital stay and less money the insurance company paid out. Seems to me that it was planned that way.....

I had no problems with the repair.

Patteee
    I now have 2 hernias, one parastomal (colostomy site) and one incision site (causing small bowel obstructions). UGH But, as much as they want to go in an correct them and my adheshions. I am still on FOLFOX and waiting for my reversal after I finish so I can have all the things taken care of at once. Why have 2 surgeries??? I sure am tired of looking like I'm 5 months pregnant and having to wear jeans 2 sizes bigger that are baggy everywhere but the stomach. I almost broke down and bought pregnancy pants. Thank goodness leggings and big blouses are in style again.
  • Wenchie
    Wenchie Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Hernia repair
    Stage IV here with lung mets. My colon resection was done laproscopically and I too ended up with an umbilical hernia. I had it repaired and...IT WAS VERY PAINFUL post surgery. I couldn't even bend my neck to drink and had to use straws. It's amazing how much you use your stomach muscles. Anyways, a year later it's back and I don't plan on having it repaired again unless it causes an obstruction.
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Wenchie said:

Hernia repair
    Stage IV here with lung mets. My colon resection was done laproscopically and I too ended up with an umbilical hernia. I had it repaired and...IT WAS VERY PAINFUL post surgery. I couldn't even bend my neck to drink and had to use straws. It's amazing how much you use your stomach muscles. Anyways, a year later it's back and I don't plan on having it repaired again unless it causes an obstruction.

Count me in too...
    I have a rather large hernia.... but alas, unless it gives me pain and problems, they are not going to go in an repair it. The reason being, after an abdominal hysterectomy going from one side to the other, and then the colon resection going from pubic bone to just past the belly button, the doctors all agree that the stomach muscles are just not strong enough for the repair to take. Obviously, if I have problems with pain or any kind of blockage, they will go in... but until then, they don't want to do any unnecessary surgery. For me, right now, it would be purely for vanity.

Cheryl