Evidence that links breast cancer and melanoma

Options
crselby
crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Understanding the Importance of Early Detection Through Routine Health Exams
New York, NY (September 21, 2009) – Women with breast cancer have an increased risk of developing melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer, and women with melanoma are at a higher risk for developing breast cancer. According to a recent study published in the Irish Journal of Medical Science, there is a strong association between breast cancer and melanoma. While earlier studies have noted a link between the two malignancies, this is the first time researchers have explicitly advised doctors to monitor breast cancer patients for signs of melanoma, and vice versa.

Investigators led by photobiologist Gillian M. Murphy, MD, a member of The Skin Cancer Foundation’s International Advisory Council, examined the 6788 cases of melanoma and 27,597 cases of breast carcinoma between 1994 and 2007 documented in Ireland’s National Cancer Registry. They mathematically determined that if there was no statistically significant relationship between the two, 30–35 patients could be expected to have both malignancies. Instead, there were 127.

“In general, patients with melanoma or other skin cancers are always at higher risk of developing other malignancies,” Dr. Murphy commented. “But this is about a fourfold increase, which raises the possibility of a genetic predisposition linking the two cancers.”

The Irish Journal of Medical Science study corroborates the findings of journals such as Annals of Oncology and Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, which reported that breast cancer patients have between 1.4 and 2.7 times the risk of developing melanoma. In addition, The International Journal of Cancer noted that female melanoma patients have a 1.4 times greater chance of developing breast cancer.

“All of these studies reinforce the importance of routine breast cancer exams for melanoma patients and annual skin exams for breast cancer survivors,” said Perry Robins, MD, President of The Skin Cancer Foundation. “It is particularly alarming for young women as melanoma rates are increasing rapidly among this demographic.” Melanoma is the most common form of cancer for young adults 25-29 years old. Women under the age of 39 have a higher probability of developing melanoma than any other cancer except breast cancer.

The Foundation recommends that high-risk patients undergo an annual full-body skin screening by a physician. And self-exams are just as important, coupled with the practice of rigorous sun protection methods. Performed regularly, self-examination can alert you to changes in the skin and aid in the early detection of skin cancer. For instructions on how to perform a self-exam, visit http://www.skincancer.org/Self-Examination/.

Now celebrating its 30th year, The Skin Cancer Foundation is committed to educating the public and medical professionals about sun safety. As leaders in the fight against skin cancer, the Foundation is the only global organization solely devoted to the prevention, detection and treatment of the world’s most common cancer. The mission of the Foundation is to decrease the incidence of skin cancer through public and professional education and research. To learn more about the Foundation and its programs, visit www.SkinCancer.org.

<<<<If I understand this right, out of over 34,000 people, 127 ended up with both kinds of cancer. I bet there were MORE people in that group of 34,000 that had one of the cancers and, say, ingrown toenails! Are those 2 things linked? I doubt it. This is one study that is not going to cause me worry. >>>>
~~Connie~~

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    thanks for the post
    This is something we don't want to hear but we need to hear.

I've read there is a link between the two but haven't seen the actual numbers.

Thanks for posting!
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I
    Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to be extra careful--I was not putting sunscreen on my arms and legs trying to soak up more vitamin d. I guess I need to rethink that.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Thanks for the info. I
    Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to be extra careful--I was not putting sunscreen on my arms and legs trying to soak up more vitamin d. I guess I need to rethink that.

I love the sun and still
    I love the sun and still always try to get a tan. Thanks for this post. I didn't know this.

Angie
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Heard of this...
    An art buddy of mine had BC 12 years ago....developed Melanoma 4 years later...she's fine but wears # 80 sunscreen
    Every single day..rain or shine...
  • crselby
    crselby Member Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Interpret what is in this article
    Hi folks,
    Somehow the comments I made at the end of the article were deleted. Here is the REAL story: Out of over 34,000 people in this study, 127 of them ended up with both melanoma and breast cancer. Now, I'd take this .3 % chance without doing anything special. The "fourfold" increase referred to is a statistical twist. The reality is, there isn't much to worry about.
    ~~Connie~~
  • nascarjud
    nascarjud Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Thought The Two Were Completely Unrelated
    Diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008 & again 2009. Underwent double mastectomy & have just been diagnosed with lentigo maligna melanoma on my face. Googled the two cancers & found this post. My doctors at Loma Linda never mentioned. They will hear now. I also just found out that a friend has had the exact same thing happen to her. I also know a young man whose sister just died of breast cancer & he has had six melanomas removed. Wonder if he is at risk for breast cancer. At least I mentioned it to his wife. Thanks for the post!!