High grade dysplasia

Options
flmo
flmo Member Posts: 65
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
My 75 year old husband has had Barrett's esophagus for the past 9 years. On his last endoscopy it showed an area of high grade dysplasia. His local doctor in Fort Myers sent him to Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville Fl for conservative treatment specificaly radio frequency. Unfortunatly the results of the mucosal resection showed an area that was too deep for RF. The doctor's nurse called after we got home to say he needs to have his esophagus removed even though NO cancer was found. Does this sound right? Any suggestions for treatment places? I know we will have to travel and we're willing to go anywhere.

Comments

• linda1120
    linda1120 Member Posts: 389
    Options
    Dr. Luketich
    I am sure William will respond. Dr. Luketich is the doctor that pioneered the minimally invasive esophagectomy. He is located in Pittsburg, Pa., and if it were me that is where I would go. Since you are in Florida that isn't a horrible distance to travel. They also have housing for the spouse. If you want the best he is it.

My husband had a MIE three and a half weeks ago and we are in the Northwest. We traveled to Oregon Health and Science University in Portland, Oregon, and he had excellent care. They have a team of surgeons that are amazing and do a high volume of these surgeries. He is cancer free now and recovering. He is one of the fortunate ones that the chemotherapy and radiation destroyed all of the tumor and cancer in the lymph nodes. They removed his esophagus and made a new esophagus with his stomach. He is now starting to eat and slowly recovering.

I hope this helps.

Linda
  • flmo
    flmo Member Posts: 65
    Options
    linda1120 said:

Dr. Luketich
    I am sure William will respond. Dr. Luketich is the doctor that pioneered the minimally invasive esophagectomy. He is located in Pittsburg, Pa., and if it were me that is where I would go. Since you are in Florida that isn't a horrible distance to travel. They also have housing for the spouse. If you want the best he is it.

My husband had a MIE three and a half weeks ago and we are in the Northwest. We traveled to Oregon Health and Science University in Portland, Oregon, and he had excellent care. They have a team of surgeons that are amazing and do a high volume of these surgeries. He is cancer free now and recovering. He is one of the fortunate ones that the chemotherapy and radiation destroyed all of the tumor and cancer in the lymph nodes. They removed his esophagus and made a new esophagus with his stomach. He is now starting to eat and slowly recovering.

I hope this helps.

Linda

Thanks for the information
    Thanks for the information about Dr. Luketich. We will definitely consider going to Pittsburgh for a second opinion and to see if my husband is a candidate for MIE. Everything is so overwhelming right now,but I know we have to make a decision soon. I hope you husband continues to make good progress.
  • mrsbotch
    mrsbotch Member Posts: 349
    Options
    flmo said:

Thanks for the information
    Thanks for the information about Dr. Luketich. We will definitely consider going to Pittsburgh for a second opinion and to see if my husband is a candidate for MIE. Everything is so overwhelming right now,but I know we have to make a decision soon. I hope you husband continues to make good progress.

Dr;. Luketich
    Hi

I agree with Linda Pittsburg is the place to go. I wish when my husband had his MIE we had known about him. I have spoken to this man on the phone and believe me when I tell you he really cares. Now my husbands ESop cancer has come back and he is no longer a surgical candidat. Whatever you do go for the best so that you are not where we are now

barb