For colostomates, issues about food, what to eat!

Options
djm_2010
djm_2010 Member Posts: 52
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello, I'm just curious if you had issues with food after having a colostomy. I was dx with rectal cancer last aug 2010 and had an APR last nov 11. I'm wondering if you had the same experiences with re food. I found out that I could not tolerate fatty foods and have a hard time digesting them and had bloating after intake. This has been going on since after my surgery. I feel so lonely sometime because I'm a meat lover and have to watch my food intake because I don't want to have trouble with blockage and I hate the NGT tube. I only eat fish and soup and honestly last Christmas and new year I feel so depressed because I wasn't able to eat my favorite foods. Will this go on forever, do we have to watch and be vigilant with our intake. My gastroenterologist also has cautioned me about eating red meat since this may cause or aggravate my cancer. Is it the same for you. I don't drink sodas now and juices since I'm afraid of getting gastritis and they said this could produce much air. Honetly, the food restrictions are the ones making me lose weight and not the chemo. I've lost around 25 lbs since my OR and just weight 120 lbs now. I'm depressed and lonely about the food. Please give me advice. Also if I eat lots of fruit and green leafy veggies, I have diarrhea. Help, help please, and advices please. Tahnks and Godbless you. From Dina

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Lovekitties
    Lovekitties Member Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Dear Dina
    I had a colostomy March 2010 and can pretty much eat what I want.

I have noticed that I do get gas more often now, hard to miss when the pouch ballons, but I pay attention to what food cause that and now take a Beano Disolvable tablet before eating them. It helps.

Unless you had an iliostomy I would think you could pretty much eat what you did before. You just have to pay attention to what causes you problems.

Perhaps it is time to talk with a nutritionist who works with cancer patients and get a better handle on the whole situation.

Good luck at establishing a diet you can live with.

Marie who loves kitties
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    dina
    i got my ileostomy in october and i also hate ng tube.

i have added to my diet and a wide variety, no junk food and very little processed food.

i eased up on diet at christmas because would have felt like you.

i also struggle with diarrhea, and have added rice and bananna when its bad.

goodluck expanding your diet to keep you healthy and happy.

pete
  • coolvdub
    coolvdub Member Posts: 408 Member
    Options

dina
    i got my ileostomy in october and i also hate ng tube.

i have added to my diet and a wide variety, no junk food and very little processed food.

i eased up on diet at christmas because would have felt like you.

i also struggle with diarrhea, and have added rice and bananna when its bad.

goodluck expanding your diet to keep you healthy and happy.

pete

Dina,
    I have a colostomy and

Dina,

I have a colostomy and can eat pretty much what ever I like. That being said, I have gone to organic foods and virtually no red meat. The wife and I are eating a lot of soy and tofu meat substitutes. In all honesty we don't miss the red meat and are going to clean out our chest freezer and give all the meat to a neady family. Have you been told to chew your food really well, that will help a lot as will eating smaller meals throughout the day. I hope you get a handle on this.

Don
  • djm_2010
    djm_2010 Member Posts: 52
    Options

Dear Dina
    I had a colostomy March 2010 and can pretty much eat what I want.

I have noticed that I do get gas more often now, hard to miss when the pouch ballons, but I pay attention to what food cause that and now take a Beano Disolvable tablet before eating them. It helps.

Unless you had an iliostomy I would think you could pretty much eat what you did before. You just have to pay attention to what causes you problems.

Perhaps it is time to talk with a nutritionist who works with cancer patients and get a better handle on the whole situation.

Good luck at establishing a diet you can live with.

Marie who loves kitties

Thanks to all your advises
    Thanks to all your advises about food issues. At leaser, I see a loth at the end of the tunnel and know that all will return to normal in time. Maybe, I'm just rushing things and want to be like before I had cancer, but I know it will never be the same. At least, I'm alive and will have a great life, like you guys. Thanks and Godbless you all!
  • mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    Options
    coolvdub said:

Dina,
    I have a colostomy and

Dina,

I have a colostomy and can eat pretty much what ever I like. That being said, I have gone to organic foods and virtually no red meat. The wife and I are eating a lot of soy and tofu meat substitutes. In all honesty we don't miss the red meat and are going to clean out our chest freezer and give all the meat to a neady family. Have you been told to chew your food really well, that will help a lot as will eating smaller meals throughout the day. I hope you get a handle on this.

Don

when I had my ileostomy, i
    when I had my ileostomy, i ate mostly whatever i want. The difference between a colostomy and ileostomy is what area of the colon it is. Ileo tend to be more loose because it is the ileum part of the colon. I couldn't eat things like watermellon(seeds) grapes(skins) etc.. things like that because it would block up my ileostomy and I would find myself waking up in a bed full of poop, oh the days.. Hope things get better for you. Petrina
  • Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options

when I had my ileostomy, i
    when I had my ileostomy, i ate mostly whatever i want. The difference between a colostomy and ileostomy is what area of the colon it is. Ileo tend to be more loose because it is the ileum part of the colon. I couldn't eat things like watermellon(seeds) grapes(skins) etc.. things like that because it would block up my ileostomy and I would find myself waking up in a bed full of poop, oh the days.. Hope things get better for you. Petrina

Only 1 thing I try to stay away from but normally don't......
    Cashews,pecans, or any type of nut...I love em but they do not disentergrate through the bowel system....They don't hurt coming out but sometimes they will break open a small hole in the inner ring of my wafer and I won't know it until I get that Hmm whats that smell deal...salad gives me gas but to me gas is good, especially when its summer or spring ....but thats another story and one I think deserves its own post.......beans keep me cleaned out but to be honest there is nothing I don't eat and I really don't knowingly suffer for it...(but Im a hog so don't do as I do) LOL.......I think popcorn might give ya a little trouble but it never has me yet............Buzz
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the Zone
    Take a look at the Zone Diet. It is pretty much an attitude about eating a balanced diet. The zone will guide one away from fatty foods and the things that are bad for us. It does not restrict any food, just an attitude about foods that ar bad for us. It is ok to have some Junk Food as long as that is the special occasion and not the norm.

High Fiber and Red meats are things to avoid during Chemo. I find Bananas and Gator Aid make me feel better. (Or any electrolite drink. Target has a good cheap alternative.)

Immodium, lomotil, or tincture of opium make the diarrhea less severe.
    Best Always, mike