Saw the rads onc today

Options
Gabe N Abby Mom
Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I met with the rads onc for the first time today, liked him a lot. Very thorough answers, didn't seem rushed, and personable as well.

Simulation will be on Feb 8th (still have to get the last drain removed). We'll start treatments about a week after that. He's recommending a larger than normal daily dose, with a morning and afternoon treatment. It'll still be 4 to 5 weeks total. He recently used this regimen with an IBC patient who got the recommendation from Meena's doc. I'm in contact with the patient, and she did surprisingly well on this.

Has anyone else out there done rads 2x a day? If so, I'd like to hear about your experience.

Hugs,

Linda

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hi Linda,
    I didn't have rads, so I can't help you there. Just wanted to wish you luck with the rads. Sorry to here you still have a drain, but glad that you like your rads onc. Have a good weekend.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    I wasn't able to do an
    I wasn't able to do an accelerated radiation therapy that I really wanted to do, so I did the regular 35 days, once a day, for 7 weeks type rads.

However, one thing I would suggest is using CeraVe cream after each treatment to help with potential burning. I used that during my treatment, and my doctors were awed at how much it helped me. I had received a sample from the dermatologist who developed CeraVe, so the rad onc was unfamiliar with it, but after they saw how much it helped me, they began recommending it to all their other patients.

I put it on first thing in the morning, immediately after treatment, and last thing at night. You may have to juggle a bit, because you may not be able to use it within the four-hour period before a treatment, but ask your doctor.

They'll also have suggestions for other helpful creams and topical treatments to help you.

Hang in there, and good luck!

Sandy
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Linda,
    I didn't have rads, so I can't help you there. Just wanted to wish you luck with the rads. Sorry to here you still have a drain, but glad that you like your rads onc. Have a good weekend.

xoxo,
    Jean

I had rads, but, just once a
    I had rads, but, just once a day. I don't know if I have heard of 2 times a day.

Wishing you good luck,

Leeza
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    Options

I wasn't able to do an
    I wasn't able to do an accelerated radiation therapy that I really wanted to do, so I did the regular 35 days, once a day, for 7 weeks type rads.

However, one thing I would suggest is using CeraVe cream after each treatment to help with potential burning. I used that during my treatment, and my doctors were awed at how much it helped me. I had received a sample from the dermatologist who developed CeraVe, so the rad onc was unfamiliar with it, but after they saw how much it helped me, they began recommending it to all their other patients.

I put it on first thing in the morning, immediately after treatment, and last thing at night. You may have to juggle a bit, because you may not be able to use it within the four-hour period before a treatment, but ask your doctor.

They'll also have suggestions for other helpful creams and topical treatments to help you.

Hang in there, and good luck!

Sandy

No, I didn't have rads twice
    No, I didn't have rads twice a day, just the once a day. Happy you like your rads oncologist. I love mine!

Good luck,

Megan
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Megan M said:

No, I didn't have rads twice
    No, I didn't have rads twice a day, just the once a day. Happy you like your rads oncologist. I love mine!

Good luck,

Megan

Wish I could give you some
    Wish I could give you some useful advice about rads 2X a day, but, I also only had a treatment once a day. It means a lot to trust and like your rads oncologist, so, I am glad you really like yours.

Good luck with your treatments and keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Diane
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I had rads once a day for
    I had rads once a day for six weeks. Some women burn or blister while undergoing treatment. Mind you, not everyone burns. I didn't, but I did peel as if I had been sunburned. It was like I was shedding dead skin, especially under the fold of my breast. I was ok and managed with soft cotton sports bra type undergarments.

I would suggest using whatever they give you liberally on the area being treated. I used the gel several times a day to prevent skin damage.

Best of luck with your treatment.
    BL
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I had rads once a day for six weeks. Some women burn or blister while undergoing treatment. Mind you, not everyone burns. I didn't, but I did peel as if I had been sunburned. It was like I was shedding dead skin, especially under the fold of my breast. I was ok and managed with soft cotton sports bra type undergarments.

I would suggest using whatever they give you give you liberally. I used the gel given me several times a day.

BL
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

I would suggest using whatever they give you give you liberally. I used the gel given me several times a day.

BL

Linda, why is he
    Linda, why is he recommending a larger than normal dose for you?

Thanks, Diane
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    once daily for 8 wks
    lumpectomy followed by radiation
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

once daily for 8 wks
    lumpectomy followed by radiation

We learn something new every day
    in the treatment of breast cancer from each other. Meena's doctor is "the man" as far as IBC is concerned, right? And you've spoken with the other patient who had this heavy duty treatment, right? That's good enough for me. Personally, I don't know anyone who's done this, but if it has proven to be effective in treating IBC, and is recommended by the experts of you, I'd sure go for it (I assume you are). There are definitely new developments everyday, this regimen may be very new and unknown even a year or so ago - we have to take what's known today and what's effective for our particular cancers.

Best wishes for a totally uneventful experience. I will be very interested to know how this works out for you.

Suzanne