Bi-lateral mastectomy :Saline or Gel implants????

Options
parris
parris Member Posts: 23
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had a bi-lateral mastectomy w/reconstruction 6/09. Since my permanent implants (saline) were put in I've had 2 revision surgeries. One due to capsular contracture and dimpling on 12/10. My new PS requested that I should change to a gel implant, he thinks the same problems will be a reoccurring problem. I'm wondering if I should change to gel implants. Has anyone gone through this?????

Comments

• Jennifer1961
    Jennifer1961 Member Posts: 137
    Options
    I still have my expanders,
    I still have my expanders, but I'm getting silicone. THey are very safe and look and feel more natural, according to my PS.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options
    Hi Parris
    Sorry you had to go through that and I wish i could give you advice but I'm sure a few Sisters might be able to.

Welcome to the boards as I've noticed this is your first post. Hopefully, you can get some good feedback or opinions on this issue.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    Options
    Generally, for reconstructed
    Generally, for reconstructed breasts unless you want/need to go bigger than 850cc's, silicone is what most women opt to get.

Silicone feels more natural, has less rippling. Even with the most recent headlines, they are considered safe.

Even with saline implants, the shell of them is silicone, so your body is still exposed to silicone.

I haven't had to switch out implants and I also don't know about cc vs. saline or silicone implants.

Rippling is common and if you are thin or have thin skin, it's just going to happen with implants. A lot of women have found fat grafting helps with the rippling.
  • parris
    parris Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Thank You ;-)
    I will keep

Thank You ;-)

I will keep you posted on my progress.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

I still have my expanders, but I'm getting silicone. THey are very safe and look and feel more natural, according to my PS.

I had a lumpectomy, so, I
    I had a lumpectomy, so, I don't know anything about implants. Just wishing you good luck.

I know others that have been through this will post more for you.

Hugs, Angie
  • kt1127
    kt1127 Member Posts: 51
    Options

i am having my expander
    i am having my expander removed on the 22nd of Feb and I am going with silicone. If the expander is any indication to what the saline implants will feel like I want no part of it.