Allergic to Tamoxifen

Options
mrioll
mrioll Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,

I developed a severe itch after a week on the Tamoxifen. Benadryl and Zertec didn't help.
Finally my onc told me to stop and she sent me to the Derm. Now I am starting today with the Tamoxifen, Prednisone and Doxepin.

Has anyone had this situation. The itching was really bad. I have the scars to prove it.
The Onc said there was something called Lupron (spelling?) but most patients get severe mood swings, hot flashes and sweats.

Mrioll

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    Welcome Mrioll
    Sorry for your need to be here but you will get so much help and support here. I am on Tamoxifen but have not had any problems with itching. I have heard of people who have and I am sure someone will chime in with their support soon. I just wanted to welcome you here. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

Welcome Mrioll
    Sorry for your need to be here but you will get so much help and support here. I am on Tamoxifen but have not had any problems with itching. I have heard of people who have and I am sure someone will chime in with their support soon. I just wanted to welcome you here. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

no issues with itching either
    I have a few other side effects of course...but not itching

let us know how you make out..

Denise W
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Denise W

I haven't had anything like that from tamoxifen ... but when I started chemo (taxol/herceptin) the tops of my hands broke out in a terrible rash that itched like crazy. It felt like I was scratching the skin off ... and the tops of my hands were sooooo red. Then the red/itching started on my upper back. My oncologist sent me to a dermatologist ... and she gave me something to put on the area ... and it was clear in just a few days.

Good luck.

hugs.
    teena
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Denise W

oops double post ...
  • mrioll
    Options
    tgf said:

oops double post ...

Allergic to Tamoxifen
    Hi all,

So far so good. It's day 5 and no itching. It seems the prednisone and Doxipen is working let's see what happens on day 11 when I'm done with the prednisone.

Thank you for all your responses. I am a little concerned. All of a sudden I seem to be losing my eyelashes. Could that be a side affect of the Doxipen? Not the tamoxifen nor prednisone. I've taken those before.

Have a good night, and God Bless.
  • manicmonday1
    manicmonday1 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    TAMOXAFEN
    hello
    I had severe allergic reaction to tamoxafen. was on it for almost a yr, leg cramps, blisters, rashs, headaches. was horrible. Finally I went to GYN ONCO, he is going to do a hysterectomy to stop the hormones, I am hormone receptive. But taking the med and stopping it has all my hormones messed up bad. Doc told me Tamoxafen is a great pill if not allergic. He also told me they started using it in 1970, and prior to that pill they did hyterectomy. Hope u find a good balance with the meds. report everything that dont feel right. I have hysterectomy Feb 10,211 and I cant wait. TC and keep on Keeping On :)
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    just over year and half
    NO itching at all...my only issue is thickening of uterus! so far...(other then night sweats, mild hot flashes and bad leg cramps)
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    mrioll said:

Allergic to Tamoxifen
    Hi all,

So far so good. It's day 5 and no itching. It seems the prednisone and Doxipen is working let's see what happens on day 11 when I'm done with the prednisone.

Thank you for all your responses. I am a little concerned. All of a sudden I seem to be losing my eyelashes. Could that be a side affect of the Doxipen? Not the tamoxifen nor prednisone. I've taken those before.

Have a good night, and God Bless.

Glad that you aren't itching
    Glad that you aren't itching now. Seems the meds are working for you. Hoping they continue and you have no more problems.

Diane
  • mrioll
    Options

TAMOXAFEN
    hello
    I had severe allergic reaction to tamoxafen. was on it for almost a yr, leg cramps, blisters, rashs, headaches. was horrible. Finally I went to GYN ONCO, he is going to do a hysterectomy to stop the hormones, I am hormone receptive. But taking the med and stopping it has all my hormones messed up bad. Doc told me Tamoxafen is a great pill if not allergic. He also told me they started using it in 1970, and prior to that pill they did hyterectomy. Hope u find a good balance with the meds. report everything that dont feel right. I have hysterectomy Feb 10,211 and I cant wait. TC and keep on Keeping On :)

I am on day 3 without the
    I am on day 3 without the prednisone, so far no itching. I am losing my eyelashes, doc says it does happen on the tamoxifen, but since I was on it for about a month with nothing other than itching she feels the eyelashes will come back. My hormones probably got out of wack. Suggested going on Lutrees (?) for the eyelashes...no thanks heard that has lots of side affects.

Good luck tomorrow, you're in my prayers.
  • kt1127
    kt1127 Member Posts: 51
    Options
    So sorry you have gone
    So sorry you have gone through this. I had a severe itching issue they stopped tamox for a week and will cut my effexor. (see post severe reaction really scary) Onc told me that side iffects will get taken care of its a game of try and try again Everyone is different so hang in there
    Kim
  • kt1127
    kt1127 Member Posts: 51
    Options
    HANG IN THERE my Onc said
    HANG IN THERE my Onc said its a fine balance of what will work for side effects I just had a bad itching episode ( see post for side effect reaction really scary) they stopped tamox for a week and lowered my effexor. They are hoping it is the effexor. Does it really matter s/e are s/e. Hang in there you will be okay...We all will be
    Kim