NOT reconstrucion but plastic surgery for LUMPECTOMY????

Options
disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am sure it's been on here..but has ANYONE had surgery to correct, even out, fix mis shaped, lop sided breasts when NOT really noticable to anyone other then yourself?

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    I haven't disneyfan, but, I
    I haven't disneyfan, but, I am sure someone has and will post. Is this post about you?

Hugs, Diane
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    I also had lumpectomy and
    I also had lumpectomy and would love to reduce the other breast to match. The "ggod" one is so much bigger. I have been reluctant to go through another operation.
    Just an FYI I heard that insurance will cover that for breast cancer.
    Good luck with your decision.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • LadyParvati
    LadyParvati Member Posts: 328
    Options
    I haven't either, but . . .
    if I were really disturbed by the way my breasts look, I would!

I think this is an entirely personal decision--if the disparity between your breasts is really bothering you, it is totally OK to talk to your doctor about the options you may have. It's YOUR body, and you need to feel comfortable in it! Only you can decide what will make you feel comfortable about yourself.

Just realized I've been speaking as if it's you experiencing this challenge--if it isn't, please forgive my direct address and pass it on to the appropriate person.

Good luck!

Sandy
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options

I haven't either, but . . .
    if I were really disturbed by the way my breasts look, I would!

I think this is an entirely personal decision--if the disparity between your breasts is really bothering you, it is totally OK to talk to your doctor about the options you may have. It's YOUR body, and you need to feel comfortable in it! Only you can decide what will make you feel comfortable about yourself.

Just realized I've been speaking as if it's you experiencing this challenge--if it isn't, please forgive my direct address and pass it on to the appropriate person.

Good luck!

Sandy

Oncoplasty
    I had oncoplasty at the time of my lumpectomy. My bc was in my right breast which was and always had been larger than the left. I jokingly said to the breast surgeon at my first visit that maybe the lumpectomy would even things up. He told me about oncoplasty. I didn't think he was serious and I also didn't understand exactly what he meant and all I wanted at the time was to get the cancer outa me. What he ended up doing was removing a lot more than the cancer and surrounding tissue, then moved other tissues around and called it a "partial mastectomy with oncoplasty". I didn't think he really meant he was going to do it, but when I woke up from surgery he told me he thought I'd be happy with the results and I am. I now have a matched set for the first time in my life. I don't have a divot, either. I'm a little flat on the bottom of that breast but I'm very pleased.

I would not hesitate to ask about anything that will make you feel better cosmetically. I'm sure your insurance will cover it.

Oh, no one noticed that I was lopsided, but I was very self conscious about it. My clothes didn't hang right, necklaces were always shifted to the larger side, my cleavage was uneven, etc. Yet no one noticed.

Good luck,

Suzanne
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options

Oncoplasty
    I had oncoplasty at the time of my lumpectomy. My bc was in my right breast which was and always had been larger than the left. I jokingly said to the breast surgeon at my first visit that maybe the lumpectomy would even things up. He told me about oncoplasty. I didn't think he was serious and I also didn't understand exactly what he meant and all I wanted at the time was to get the cancer outa me. What he ended up doing was removing a lot more than the cancer and surrounding tissue, then moved other tissues around and called it a "partial mastectomy with oncoplasty". I didn't think he really meant he was going to do it, but when I woke up from surgery he told me he thought I'd be happy with the results and I am. I now have a matched set for the first time in my life. I don't have a divot, either. I'm a little flat on the bottom of that breast but I'm very pleased.

I would not hesitate to ask about anything that will make you feel better cosmetically. I'm sure your insurance will cover it.

Oh, no one noticed that I was lopsided, but I was very self conscious about it. My clothes didn't hang right, necklaces were always shifted to the larger side, my cleavage was uneven, etc. Yet no one noticed.

Good luck,

Suzanne

honestly no desire to fixed
    I was more curious then anything about my inquiry! NO one can tell but me. I have always been VERY SMALL breasted so now just lopsided! I Gained about 25lbs quickly from steriods for another medical issue at the same time as cancer-actually gained some breasts. I lost 10 lbs since and didnt' lose what i thought was fat in chest area. So it may be side effect of tamoxifen. (never heard it mentioned but only thing i can think of)

MY girls teased me said if reconstruction get both sides done and enlarge...gotta love them!

Thanks for info everyone added...

also total in life I have had 9 surgeries (gyno,face from bike accident, breast, fingers-arthristis, shoulder 2 x etc) so no hurry to have any more....