Newly diagnosed

Options
docsal80
docsal80 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello to all. I was diagnosed with Stage III lobular Breast Cancer about 3 weeks ago. Have gone through all the tests and had a core biopsy and treatment plan consists of: 6 - 8 rounds of chemo, surgery (either single or double mastectomy depending upon whether i test positive for BRCA gene), radiation, hormone therapies. Chemo is being done first because tumor must be shunken before surgery can be done. Tumor is 6 cm large.

It isn't like i never had mammograms or check-ups by doc. I did and nothing ever showed up. Then, one day, about 3 weeks ago there was a hard mass in my right breast. And, off i was to round of docs and tests.

I don't know whether i am scared (depends on the moment) or just trying to put it out of my mind. Will have my first chemo on Monday, 1/30/11. So, i am doing all i have to do but it all seems so unreal. Both my maternal grandmother and my mother had breast cancer and both had mastectomies. Oncologist is pretty sure i will test positive for cancer gene. This just came out of nowhere.

My husband is being very supportive and going to every doc appt. and test with me. However, i am very worried about him. He looks so depressed and overwhelmed (as am i). I guess if i really think about it, i am terrified. How do u get trough this???

Comments

• dabicknell
    dabicknell Member Posts: 11
    Options
    sorry, you have to go thru
    sorry, you have to go thru this, I did it one day at a time. Just, it's hard, to live in the moment and not get ahead of yourself with worry. take care dale
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options

sorry, you have to go thru
    sorry, you have to go thru this, I did it one day at a time. Just, it's hard, to live in the moment and not get ahead of yourself with worry. take care dale

Sorry
    So sorry you have to go through all of this. I think we were all "kicked in the teeth" when we heard that we had breast cancer and we all have our own way of dealing with it. Personally ... I don't know what happened ... but the minute the doctor gave me the news something inside me kicked into some sort of "automatic pilot." I sort of went through the whole thing ... lumpectomy, chemo, radiation ... like some sort of robot. Sounds crazy ... but ... I got through it ... and you will too. In your own way.

We're here for you ... and with you.

hugs.
    teena
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Sorry you had to come here
    Sorry you had to come here but welcome. There is so much to absorb when you are first diagnosed and it affects eveyone in you life, husbands, children, friends and other family members. Right now I would say to take it one day, one step at a time. Ask if there are services available for you and/or your husband to use to help understand, talk about and deal with all this. There is a book that some of ladies have recommended for husbands. My mind has gone blank, I think it is called Cancer Husband but not sure. i would say to let your husband know how much his support means and how it helps you to cope and keep the communication lines open. Some men may seem reluctant to talk but might really want to. Men are fixers and this isn't something they can just get a wrench out and fix. I will keep you and your hubby in my prayers and good thoughts.
    Stef
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I was terrified after diagnosis
    on 7/16/10 and kept thinking "why me". But being newly married (first time at 57 on 2/14/10) I just knew that I would do everything I was told to get healthy--I was having way too much fun! My diagnosis was Stage 1C, Invasive ductal carcenomia, triple negative (cancer doesn't respond to hormone treatment) I had 2 lumpectomies (to get clear margins) and just completed 6 rounds of chemo on 1/7/11. I start radiation (33 treatments) on 2/7/11.
    Honestly, chemo wasn't as bad as I feared. I had plenty of side effects but the worst (because they are long lasting) is losing my hair and separating finger/toenails.
    Try not to obsess about treatment--it won't really help and it will scare you (talking from experience!). Drink plenty of water before, during and after chemo to help hydrate and flush the chemicals out of your system. Bring snacks and reading materials. Also, be sure to call your onc with ANY side-effects no matter what time. They will be able to prescribe something to help with everything (but hair and nails).
    It isn't fun but it is doable. You'll find most of the sister warriors on this board will say the same thing. Like the Nike add--just do it and treatment will be over and in the past.
    Good luck and lots of hugs,
    JoAnn
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    so sorry about all of this
    It is very scary, nerve wracking and just the unknown...I suggest a journal (helped me alot..at the time I did not think so but now I see ) At your cancer ctr do they have therapist? perhaps both you and your husband could go together and seperate (somethings he may not want to ask in front of you)

Keep us updated...

Denise W
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Options
    joannstar said:

I was terrified after diagnosis
    on 7/16/10 and kept thinking "why me". But being newly married (first time at 57 on 2/14/10) I just knew that I would do everything I was told to get healthy--I was having way too much fun! My diagnosis was Stage 1C, Invasive ductal carcenomia, triple negative (cancer doesn't respond to hormone treatment) I had 2 lumpectomies (to get clear margins) and just completed 6 rounds of chemo on 1/7/11. I start radiation (33 treatments) on 2/7/11.
    Honestly, chemo wasn't as bad as I feared. I had plenty of side effects but the worst (because they are long lasting) is losing my hair and separating finger/toenails.
    Try not to obsess about treatment--it won't really help and it will scare you (talking from experience!). Drink plenty of water before, during and after chemo to help hydrate and flush the chemicals out of your system. Bring snacks and reading materials. Also, be sure to call your onc with ANY side-effects no matter what time. They will be able to prescribe something to help with everything (but hair and nails).
    It isn't fun but it is doable. You'll find most of the sister warriors on this board will say the same thing. Like the Nike add--just do it and treatment will be over and in the past.
    Good luck and lots of hugs,
    JoAnn

One step at a time
    I think the only way to do it is one step at a time. As others have said it is so much happening at once it is hard to take it all in. I was dx on Jan.29 10 with IDC stage 1 did chemo and rads and I am on tamoxifen. Chemo was not near as bad as I thought it would be. I did not get sick so I was blessed by that. I was really tired a lot of the time but overall did ok. Drink lots of water before during and after treatments. God Bless
    (((Hugs)))Janice
  • sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Hello and welcome. We all
    Hello and welcome. We all know what you are going through. Just try to take it one day at a time. You've come to the right place for support, comfort and knowledge. These women on this board are awesome. I have had surgery, chemo and radiation. I couldn't have gotten through it without the support of these wonderful women. I'm now taking the armidex pill for five years. Just started on January 4th and so far everything is good. I have my first mammogram next week so I'm getting anxious all over again. I'm trying to take the advice I'm giving you and that is "one day at a time". Keep posting.
    Sparkle
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    Options
    sparkle1 said:

Hello and welcome. We all
    Hello and welcome. We all know what you are going through. Just try to take it one day at a time. You've come to the right place for support, comfort and knowledge. These women on this board are awesome. I have had surgery, chemo and radiation. I couldn't have gotten through it without the support of these wonderful women. I'm now taking the armidex pill for five years. Just started on January 4th and so far everything is good. I have my first mammogram next week so I'm getting anxious all over again. I'm trying to take the advice I'm giving you and that is "one day at a time". Keep posting.
    Sparkle

Sorry you're having to go through this, but
    you've come to the right place. We've all been where you are right now. I was diagnosed in late 2009, Stage 3C IDC with 10 positive lymph nodes. My course of treatment was lumpectomy, re-excision for clear margins, 6 rounds of chemo (TAC) and then 33 rads. I finished all this in July '10. There are still issues, and for some of us, the emotional healing needs to take place after treatment, because treatment keeps you so focused on healing physically.

The whole picture is so totally overwhelming, that like others have said, the best advise I got was to try to take it one treatment, one day, one step at a time and don't look at the whole journey. This is a tough journey, but it's totally doable. I never realized how strong I was (and, believe me, I've always been sort of a wimp!).

You can do this. Fight as hard as you can. Listen to the experts you trust. Friends and family will want to help you--take all the help you need. And, above all, try to stay positive, focused and try to find something to laugh at or see beauty in every single day. Some days will be harder than others--get through those days the best way you can and then move on.

Stay with us here on this board--you can cry here, laugh here, vent, rant or rave here. Nobody makes judgements and we all care about each other very, very much. This board has been a blessing for me.

Sending all my positive energy and thoughts your way.

Hugs, Renee
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Welcome to this site
    I was dx with Invasive Lobular Carcinoma 6.1cm in right breast and LCIS in left breast in May 2010. I had stereostatic core biopsy done on the left. I was Stage 2. I tested negative for BRCA gene however I'm the 5th with bc on both sides of my family. My maternal grandmother died from bc. One maternal aunt had mastectomy at age 68 and is now 90 and doing well. I'm the oldest and 3rd daughter with bc dx. My youngest sister had suspicious mammo this month and she will have another mammo in 6 months. Each of us has a daughter and all are aware of early breast self exams and mammos at age 35. I had bilateral mastectomy June 2010. No lymph node involvement so my surgeon didn't think I would need chemo or rads. Oncologists disagreed and said I did. My tumor was next to the chest wall and that's why I'm having radiation. In Aug I started 6 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan. I started 28 radiation treatments the first week of Jan 2011. I had #14 today. My husband has been very supportive also. It is overwhelming at first with all the tests and treatments. With support and encouragement from the ladies here I got through chemo and so far rads are going ok. You don't say how old you are. I'm 61 and decided not to have reconstruction at this time. Because I was ER/PR+ and HER2- I started taking Arimidex early January. Wishing you the best and post any questions you might have. Someone here will have an answer or suggestion.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • PinkPearl
    PinkPearl Member Posts: 280
    Options
    A day at a time...
    I think a few people already said you just go day by day, and appt by appt. My mother, both sisters, maternal grandmother and aunt have all had breast cancer and yet the gene test was negative so you just never know. I think if ovarian cancer is also in your background that ups your chances for the gene mutation. But who knows? Anyway I am sure you did the correct things to try and catch it earlier; lots of people just find a lump and there it is. Sometimes BC just hides itself for a while. Mine was just a bit of shadow on an ultrasound so no one expected it to test out to be aggressive etc. You and I will be doing our first chemo the same day-Monday. Since my diagnosis, I have had to reassure those who love me, my husband, mother, my grown children. They needed to know that I would fight this with all I had and would be okay. Funny thing is ... as I reassured them I began to believe it too and come to grips with it. Good luck on Monday! I will be praying for both of us! :) Let me know how it goes.
  • settle4more
    settle4more Member Posts: 7
    Options
    a year from now...
    I too found a hard mass out of the blue and, on February 8th last year, was told I had cancer.

Just know, a year from now, things will look a WHOLE lot different and, perhaps surprisingly, not all for the worse. This journey has afforded some of the most amazing gifts of insight and intention I have ever experienced.

I'm reaching the end of my treatment, scheduled for reconstruction in April and moving quickly to the day when 'the year I had cancer' is just a contextual signpost in a conversation.

You'll get through this - after all, what's the alternative?!
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Options

a year from now...
    I too found a hard mass out of the blue and, on February 8th last year, was told I had cancer.

Just know, a year from now, things will look a WHOLE lot different and, perhaps surprisingly, not all for the worse. This journey has afforded some of the most amazing gifts of insight and intention I have ever experienced.

I'm reaching the end of my treatment, scheduled for reconstruction in April and moving quickly to the day when 'the year I had cancer' is just a contextual signpost in a conversation.

You'll get through this - after all, what's the alternative?!

We've all asked ourselves that question,
    how are we going to get through it? But you will. All of these women posting are proof of that. They are here, they are STRONG and many are here to give you support in this journey. I'm sorry you had to join but know, you are in the care of loving and supportive Sisters.

I had a problem with people saying "You're so brave"...uh...no, I wasn't given a choice whether I wanted to battle cancer. If I was given the choice, I'd say NO! People fighting for our country are brave!

Anyway, maybe to them, they see that you do fight it and go through what you must to try and kick this thing.

Praying for you.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • Jennifer1961
    Jennifer1961 Member Posts: 137
    Options
    One step at a time. I found
    One step at a time. I found it was doable if I just focused on the immediate future. First getting through surgery, then chemo, deciding on double mastectomy, reconstruction, etc. We're all scared at one time or another (or many). Just reach out when you are. We'll reach back with a hug.
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    Welcome
    I am sorry you have the need to be here but also glad you found this board. When I was dx'd I was scared to say the least. I could not believe it was happening as I was rarely ever sick and had never had any kind of surgery. All of the support and information I got here really made it much better for me on my journey. I also had the support of my husband and we spent a lot of time crying together. You just have to believe that you can do this because you can!

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Options
    ladyg said:

Welcome
    I am sorry you have the need to be here but also glad you found this board. When I was dx'd I was scared to say the least. I could not believe it was happening as I was rarely ever sick and had never had any kind of surgery. All of the support and information I got here really made it much better for me on my journey. I also had the support of my husband and we spent a lot of time crying together. You just have to believe that you can do this because you can!

Hugs,
    Georgia

Welcome
    Welcome to the pink sisterhood. I'm so sorry for what you are going through, but we all know and understand the emotional rollercoaster that you are on. I totally understand the statement "this just came out of nowhere", I'm pretty sure I've said that 100 times in the past two months. Please know that we are all here for you and you will receive tons of support and a wealth of knowledge on this board. Stay strong and positive and remember that you are stronger than you realize and you can do this.

God Bless You,

Dawne
  • Cinkal
    Cinkal Member Posts: 161
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed as
    I was recently diagnosed as well. I was shocked and overwhelmed. The waiting for results and consultations was a hard part for me. Good luck on your chemo. I will be having a lumphectany first followd by Chemo and radiation.
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Cinkal said:

I was recently diagnosed as
    I was recently diagnosed as well. I was shocked and overwhelmed. The waiting for results and consultations was a hard part for me. Good luck on your chemo. I will be having a lumphectany first followd by Chemo and radiation.

Welcome, but sorry you had
    Welcome, but sorry you had to join our little family. I will be two years since DX'd in March. Stage IV with mets to bones, liver, one rib, and now CF fluid. I was tumor free in my breast and liver but had a little set back in November, next scan in March hoping for improvement.

Like other's have said one day at a time. Scared everyday YES but I just trust my doc's and know they are doing everything possible to give me as much of a life I can have!!

trust your doc's and do as they say you will be so impressed by what you are able to do that you would think you never could do.... trust me, I have gotten this far in my will to live to see my kids and granddaughters grow up thats what I consentrate on when I am having a painful treatment or gloomy day.

peace love and health to our new sisters in pink!!!

remember live well, laugh often and love much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

♥ Libby