to wig or not to wig and my first time to the chemo ward...HELP!

Options
2»

Comments

• cathg
    cathg Member Posts: 21
    Options
    PinkPearl said:

Hi Cathg
    My first chemo begins next week too. Monday to be exact! Yikes! But actually I am pretty calm about it. Today I went out and bought whatever I thought I would need and got my prescriptions filled to ease side effects. I also bought over the counter meds that my onclogist recommended like something for constipation, something for diarhea, and heartburn and some easy bland foods to eat. But I am anticipating being just fine for most things and I hope that is true! The cancer center I go to gives a free wig and the first ones I saw sort of reminded me of dog hair or something :) but then she pulled out one that was actually cute so I may wear that, I plan on more scarves and little soft cotton caps mostly.
    I am trying to focus on the long term good that chemo does. It is going to knock that cancer far away and that is how I am going to approach the "Chemo Room". We will hold hands across the Atlantic while we sit there, okay?

good luck
    Hi Pinky pearl

I will be thinking of you today and praying that you find strength and peace!!! Im +-8 hours ahead of you, I live in Cape Town...not sure where you are. Im only scheduled now for tuesday, soyou are sure to get in there before me..or maybe at the same time? I will be holding you hand across the sea! I know im going to cry..but hand...then I will cry.lol
    cath
  • cathg
    cathg Member Posts: 21
    Options

The bald noggin
    I too had a pre-emptive head-shaving party - rather impromptu but I am lucky in that one of my best friends is a hair dresser. Glorious spring day on my porch, two of my best gal pals, my boyfriend, two teenage sons and 176 pictures. I too sported a mohawk in the transition... when else would I have had the chance?

I bought wigs - one full and 'proper' one (the lady kept trying to sell me one that looked like my natural hair which made no sense to me whatsoever! As if I could pretend I was not missing a boob and did not have cancer - puhleez!), two with no hair on top that could be worn under hats, a neon pink long one, and a curly 'girlfriend of Johnny Depp as a pirate' red one. I also had a old baseball cap that fittingly said "La-ti-da" and another emblazoned with my employer's logo. I found a cute pattern and sewed three hats in fabric I liked. Oh, and a basket full of scarves.

This was last summer and I live in Houston. Needless to say, the day came that I said, "Screw this. I'm tired of protecting everyone from my reality," slathered on the sunscreen and went out into the world (and to work) au naturale. And yes, I felt butt naked for the first few hours and then got over it. (And honestly, the sensation of the wind on your bald scalp is something to behold!)

I guess the point to this is, prepare in every way imagineable and know that you may still change your mind.

As for walking into the chemo suite - it's not so hard if you are, in fact, positive you want to live. So get clear about that and then tell them, "Bring it on!"

love it!
    I had a good laugh with your missing boob thing..yeah...understand completely. Its interesting to see how many people gaze at the area...no ts not going togrow back..ha ha ha! Love that you went for it woth hair ect...Im not htat bold. But you never know. I do want to live..so Im going to walk into that room and think of all you ladies having gone before..I can do it! thanks for your humour!
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    Options
    jendrey said:

My hair really started to fall out in large clumps on the eighth day after the first chemo treatment. I bought a wig but never even tried it on. Instead I made some headwraps that worked for me. They even stayed on while sleeping!

Send me your address and I'll make you some if you like.
    If you click on my name and then add me as a friend you can then send CSN email, I think..

Check out TLC, it is through
    Check out TLC, it is through the American Cancer Society, they have great wigs for under $50.00. They have cataloges at most cancer centers. The wigs are very nice, i have purchased 3 of them and have recommended them to people who have been very pleased.
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options

The bald noggin
    I too had a pre-emptive head-shaving party - rather impromptu but I am lucky in that one of my best friends is a hair dresser. Glorious spring day on my porch, two of my best gal pals, my boyfriend, two teenage sons and 176 pictures. I too sported a mohawk in the transition... when else would I have had the chance?

I bought wigs - one full and 'proper' one (the lady kept trying to sell me one that looked like my natural hair which made no sense to me whatsoever! As if I could pretend I was not missing a boob and did not have cancer - puhleez!), two with no hair on top that could be worn under hats, a neon pink long one, and a curly 'girlfriend of Johnny Depp as a pirate' red one. I also had a old baseball cap that fittingly said "La-ti-da" and another emblazoned with my employer's logo. I found a cute pattern and sewed three hats in fabric I liked. Oh, and a basket full of scarves.

This was last summer and I live in Houston. Needless to say, the day came that I said, "Screw this. I'm tired of protecting everyone from my reality," slathered on the sunscreen and went out into the world (and to work) au naturale. And yes, I felt butt naked for the first few hours and then got over it. (And honestly, the sensation of the wind on your bald scalp is something to behold!)

I guess the point to this is, prepare in every way imagineable and know that you may still change your mind.

As for walking into the chemo suite - it's not so hard if you are, in fact, positive you want to live. So get clear about that and then tell them, "Bring it on!"

I was fortunate to not need
    I was fortunate to not need chemo. Looks like the other pink sisters have offered you lots of advice. Wishing you good luck with chemo and praying for no side effects for you.

Hugs, Diane
  • lori1961
    lori1961 Member Posts: 56
    Options
    wig
    I lost my hair on day 21 of my first chemo treatment getting ready for a biopsy for the other breast. it started coming out in clumps and I did not know what to do. I called my hubby and he came home and put my hair to the side. S big clump had fallen out in the front. After the biopsy, I went to a wig place by my onco's office and I bought a wig and they shaved my head which was easier. It really talkes your dignity away losing the hair. The Tender Loving Care Web site has all kinds of wigs and hats and scarves. Good luck
  • lori1961
    Options
    wig
    I lost my hair on day 21 of my first chemo treatment getting ready for a biopsy for the other breast. it started coming out in clumps and I did not know what to do. I called my hubby and he came home and put my hair to the side. S big clump had fallen out in the front. After the biopsy, I went to a wig place by my onco's office and I bought a wig and they shaved my head which was easier. It really talkes your dignity away losing the hair. The Tender Loving Care Web site has all kinds of wigs and hats and scarves. Good luck
  • lori1961
    Options
    wig
  • lori1961
    Options
    wig
    I lost my hair on day 21 of my first chemo treatment getting ready for a biopsy for the other breast. it started coming out in clumps and I did not know what to do. I called my hubby and he came home and put my hair to the side. S big clump had fallen out in the front. After the biopsy, I went to a wig place by my onco's office and I bought a wig and they shaved my head which was easier. It really talkes your dignity away losing the hair. The Tender Loving Care Web site has all kinds of wigs and hats and scarves. Good luck Lori
  • lori1961
    Options
    wig
    I lost my hair on day 21 of my first chemo treatment getting ready for a biopsy for the other breast. it started coming out in clumps and I did not know what to do. I called my hubby and he came home and put my hair to the side. S big clump had fallen out in the front. After the biopsy, I went to a wig place by my onco's office and I bought a wig and they shaved my head which was easier. It really talkes your dignity away losing the hair. The Tender Loving Care Web site has all kinds of wigs and hats and scarves. Good luck Lori
  • lori1961
    Options
    wig
  • lori1961
    Options
    wig
  • lori1961
    Options
    wig
  • lori1961
    Options
    wig
  • lori1961
    Options
    wig
  • Double Whammy
    Double Whammy Member Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    lori1961 said:

wig

Chemo and wigs
    I had this horrible mental image of what I imagined the infusion center to be like - ghostly, emaciated, patients puking and moaning while the poison made its way into them. The things we do to ourselves! It was a pleasant and rather upbeat environment. Everyone was warm and other patients were chatty. The only part that bothered me was when the infusion nurses would gown up so they wouldn't risk getting any of the poison on them and there I was with my arm out passively (and eagerly) accepting it IN me.

About the hair thing. You should wear whatever you're comfortable with. I wore wigs in the '60s and just didn't want to do that again, so I wore cute hats and scarves - and big earrings of course. I probably spent more on the head gear than I would have on a wig. Remember that you'll be bald for a long time - not just during chemo. It's 4+ months since my last chemo and I will not expose my "hair" to the world yet. I looked better bald than with this sparse fuzzy stuff and sort of male pattern baldness thing going on. It does get old and I've had a few second thoughts lately about not having a wig to wear, but I'm not about to buy one now. I think it will take at least a couple of more months for me to be comfortable without a head cover - that will make it about 8 months of wearing something on my head that's not hair.

Good luck in starting chemo. You can do it.

Suzanne