Ultrasound

Options
mrsbotch
mrsbotch Member Posts: 349
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Hi All
My husband is still feeling the awful effects of chemo. I was about to have his hospitalized and decided to take him to our redular dr. He prescribed an abdomenal ultrasound on Monday. we got the results back yesterday. It said

Uniform echotexture is noted throughout the live. The spleen is unremarkable. The gallbladder and pancrea are within normal milits. No biliary dialation is present. Both kidneys measure approx 11.5 cm in size. The IVC and aorta are un remarkable. Mild amount of ascites is noted throughout the abdomen. No tapping of the abdomen is needed.

If you look under my profile you can read more. He will have a pet scan on Feb 2nd. Do any of you how accurate the ultrasound is? He has been on TPN feeding since Nov 30th and starting Dec 3rd he was throwing up green bile. Now we are going off the TPN (we have to wean him) he will be totally off tomorrow but is throwing up very little now.

Please help with any info you cam

Barb

Comments

• Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Thinking of You
    Hello Barbara
    Sorry you and your husband are having such a rough time. The results of this ultra scan sound pretty good to me, or am I reading it wrong? Within limits and unremarkable are good words. I know from my experience with my dad that the Pet scan is the best you can get. What does the word ascites mean? I was thinking acid? I will be thinking of both of you and praying for answers. Keep us up to date.
    Tina in Va
  • mrsbotch
    mrsbotch Member Posts: 349
    Options

Thinking of You
    Hello Barbara
    Sorry you and your husband are having such a rough time. The results of this ultra scan sound pretty good to me, or am I reading it wrong? Within limits and unremarkable are good words. I know from my experience with my dad that the Pet scan is the best you can get. What does the word ascites mean? I was thinking acid? I will be thinking of both of you and praying for answers. Keep us up to date.
    Tina in Va

ascites
    Hi Tina,
    Thank you for the reply. You are always so caring about others. I appreciate it.
    Ascites is fluid build-up. Unfortunately Vince has had to have his drained 3 times from his abdomen and it tested positive for cancer cells. This time the build-up is mild so he does not have to be drained. I think the ultrasound meant that everything is uniform but like you said the PET scan will be the one to tell.Today has been an awful day for him. he is just so fatigued . I am so sick at heart. he's a great guy and to see him suffer like this is awful. I know you know what we are going thru as you went thru this with your dad.

Barb
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    mrsbotch said:

ascites
    Hi Tina,
    Thank you for the reply. You are always so caring about others. I appreciate it.
    Ascites is fluid build-up. Unfortunately Vince has had to have his drained 3 times from his abdomen and it tested positive for cancer cells. This time the build-up is mild so he does not have to be drained. I think the ultrasound meant that everything is uniform but like you said the PET scan will be the one to tell.Today has been an awful day for him. he is just so fatigued . I am so sick at heart. he's a great guy and to see him suffer like this is awful. I know you know what we are going thru as you went thru this with your dad.

Barb

Hi Barb
    You are most

Hi Barb
    You are most welcome. It does me wonders to help others. Yes, I do know exactly what you are going through. Now it is coming back to me....it is the fluid in his stomach that is coming back positive for cancer. Hmmmmmm...that is a new one for me. It is most hard to watch our loved ones suffer. But, you are doing a excellent job as his caregiver, and there is not much else you can do. The pet scan will be the one with the most info. I will be waiting to hear back from you. Hugs to both of you!
    Tina in Va