Physical Trainer Tomorrow/Now Yesterday

Options
Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Tomorrow morning I'm starting with a Physical Trainer out at the Base Gym. I've seen a list of her credentials and spent quite a while on the phone with her and seems it's going to be good - will know more tomorrow.

I could go up to Ft. Meade with a Physical Therapist but it's 35 miles each way and they have a much more limited bunch of machines than the Base (3 miles away) has.

I've thought a lot about it and talked with Hubby and I think that going with Physical Trainer will get me closer to where I want to get back to - be in shape by late spring to get the horses in shape for summer showing and riding. Price wise it's about the same - the gas to Ft. Meade (plus the drive time) vs the cost of trainer ($20). The Base Gym has a lot of 'stuff', all sorts of 'machines', free weights, 1/4 mile indooor track, Olympic size pool, suana, steam room and it's free to use (Hubby is retired USN).

Any thoughts- anyone else done a Physical Trainer as oppose to a Physical Therapist.

Comments

• disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    what is difference?
    Physical trainter vs Physical Therapist?

While I was going through radiation our local gym gave 6mths free membership to patients. YOU could go while in treatment or afterwards...I DID not take advantage but I THOUGHT nice of them!

Denise W
  • Rague
    Options

what is difference?
    Physical trainter vs Physical Therapist?

While I was going through radiation our local gym gave 6mths free membership to patients. YOU could go while in treatment or afterwards...I DID not take advantage but I THOUGHT nice of them!

Denise W

Could be very wrong - I
    Could be very wrong - I 'think' that Physical Therapy deals primarily with where there have been 'issues' - be it injury or surgery but Physical Trainer works with the entire body for the overall. I don't know - why I'm asking. I know that all of my Drs have said no limitations but I know that I'm REALLY out of shape - actually in some ways my legs are what I'm most concerned about getting them back in shape considering I'm a Dressage and jumper rider.

Susan
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Options
    Hi Rague,
    Are you by any chance referring to Ft. Meade in Maryland?

Jean
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Good for you!! You will
    Good for you!! You will feel amazing both on the outside and the inside as you begin your exercising. Well, actually you may be a little sore in the beginning but it will be a good sore. I was having some range of motion issues with my left arm after my mastectomy and since I have been able to go back and exercise, I am almost 100% and gaining strength daily. Enjoy yourself and take advantage of the fun stuff, too.....Pool, sauna and steam room.
  • Rague
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Rague,
    Are you by any chance referring to Ft. Meade in Maryland?

Jean

Ft. Meade, SD
    Nope - Ft. Meade VA Facility/Hospital in Sturgis, SD.

Susan
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Options
    I don't have a Physical Trainer
    to speak of but I do exercise. I do water aerobics twice a week, go to the gym and workout once a week and I just started a yoga class. The good thing about all of it is that you do what you can without hurting yourself. I feel so much better for doing it and I am sure you will too. Just remember, baby steps, you can't do it all at once.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Personal trainer v. Physical Therapist
    After my axillary dissection and mastectomy I developed adhesive capsulitis (aka frozen shoulder) on my right side. I ended up needing to have shoulder surgery to remove some very dense adhesions (scar tissue) in the right shoulder joint.

My orthopedist has referred me to physical therapy 3x/week. I meet with a Registered Physical Therapist. That person has a 4 year degree in physical therapy (B.S.) and is licensed by the State of California. In addition, I have started an exercise class at the Y for cancer patients/survivors called Living Strong Living Well which is sponsored by Stanford University. YMCAs in other parts of the country have this program, also. It is designed for people who have become deconditioned due to the disease and its treatment. There are 10 people in my class - 7 women and 3 men. In the Y program I meet with a personal trainer. That person deals more with overall fitness rather than my specific shoulder issue. Shoulder exercises are a small of my personalized exercise program.

What a personal trainer does and what a physical therapist does differ mostly based on with whom they work. They are both in the business to achieve the same kind of goal--better fitness for their clients. The clients of a personal trainer are, however, generally healthy people without disability who want to get into better shape. A personal trainer is generally not required to have a college degree. The clients who work with a physical therapist are often people who have dealt with some kind of illness or injury and are trying to get their strength, mobility and independence back.

I would not drive 35 miles to go to a physical therapist. I think you are much more likely to exercise if it is easy for you to get to the gym. The Y is 2 miles from my house and the Physical Therapist's office is about 4 miles from my house. I have no excuse not to go to either one. You might want to have 1 or 2 visits with a Physical Therapist so you can discuss what types of exercises and machines at the base gym would be most beneficial to you. They can also tell you what exercises you should NOT be doing.

Enjoy.
  • Rague
    Options
    Yesterday was great!
    I met with S. yesterday and we filled out paperwork (logical)then started on machines - Can't remember the name of the ones we did first. Was told not to use 2 of them as I wasn't ready for them. Went in the Nautlis room and there are 2 machines in there I'm to use. Did some stretching and arm work with 3 lb weights. Went to tread mill, bicycle and 'laying down' bicycle.

I'll be working with her once a week (Wed) for now and using the machines 2 other days (Mon and Fri) and tread mill/bike/lay down bike 5 days a week (whichever I choose or combintaion on any particular day) and weights but also doing these on the days I do machines.

I can already feel a bit more 'looseness' in my shoulder and other muscles that are telling me they worked more than they have in some time - oh haWell that's the poiint of getting back in shape.

Susan
  • Rague
    Options
    ladyg said:

I don't have a Physical Trainer
    to speak of but I do exercise. I do water aerobics twice a week, go to the gym and workout once a week and I just started a yoga class. The good thing about all of it is that you do what you can without hurting yourself. I feel so much better for doing it and I am sure you will too. Just remember, baby steps, you can't do it all at once.

Hugs,
    Georgia

Baby Steps is the answer.
    That's a big part of why I wanted to work with someone who more than I do. The younger me would have just gone in and 'busted butt' but that's not the way to go at 64 and as a BCS.
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    Options
    Rague said:

Yesterday was great!
    I met with S. yesterday and we filled out paperwork (logical)then started on machines - Can't remember the name of the ones we did first. Was told not to use 2 of them as I wasn't ready for them. Went in the Nautlis room and there are 2 machines in there I'm to use. Did some stretching and arm work with 3 lb weights. Went to tread mill, bicycle and 'laying down' bicycle.

I'll be working with her once a week (Wed) for now and using the machines 2 other days (Mon and Fri) and tread mill/bike/lay down bike 5 days a week (whichever I choose or combintaion on any particular day) and weights but also doing these on the days I do machines.

I can already feel a bit more 'looseness' in my shoulder and other muscles that are telling me they worked more than they have in some time - oh haWell that's the poiint of getting back in shape.

Susan

Best wishes for your
    Best wishes for your workout. I joined the gym this week and will meet with a trainer next week. My energy and strength is below par. I'm hoping to build up some stamina. I'll be doing the "silver sneakers" classes to start out, and after observing it, I believe it will be more than enough for me.
  • Rague
    Options
    natly15 said:

Best wishes for your
    Best wishes for your workout. I joined the gym this week and will meet with a trainer next week. My energy and strength is below par. I'm hoping to build up some stamina. I'll be doing the "silver sneakers" classes to start out, and after observing it, I believe it will be more than enough for me.

I don't do 'classes'!
    LOL - me - I don't do 'classes' - reminds me too much of PT in Boot Camp. One of the first things I told S. was that I don't 'jog' or 'run' - swore when I was discharged that I'd never do that again - well except for a few feet when ncessary.

I don't have to join the gym - we live very close to Ellsworth AFB and Hubby is retired USN so I have access to all base facilities - just have to pay the Trainer.

Susan