Local recurrance - mastectomy and resonstruction options

Options
Kitchy111
Kitchy111 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all. Well... where to start... I was first diagnosed with stage IIB (2.1cm), ER/PR+, Her2Neu-, invasive ductal cancer in 1998. I had a lumpectomy with ax node disection, followed by AC chemo, radiation, and five years of Tamoxifen. I have had a couple of scares with microcalcifications over the years, but have basically been okay until now. I just had steriotactic core biopsy in two places after a questionable mammo and found out that both clusters were malignant, one DCIS, one IDC with up to 0.5cm involvement. Needless to say, this has thrown me back into that place where your life changes all at once. I will need a mastectomy on the right side and considering doing so prophylactically on the left... I havent had any bad results on the left, but am thinking it may be better to just do it. I will be getting a BRCA test and an MRI to get more info. My sister and niece have also had BC since my first diagnosis... my sister was not BRCA positive so I still have a 50% chance of being.

I am also trying to figure out the best course for reconstrutcion. I definitely want to do it. My right breast has been much smaller and somewhat deformed from the lumpectomy and that has always bothered me. I have heard differing opinions about implants after radiation. I dont think I endured a great deal of skin damage from what I can tell... contracted and a little darker, but still soft and seemed to have healed well. I would love to hear from women who have done implants after radiation to hear about successes as well as failures. My other consideration is the DIEP procedure. This sounds like a good overall option, but is a lot of extra recuperation and time under the knife so I am tentative.

I would also like to say that I dont know how I would have made it through things the first time around if I hadnt found message boards to begin with. 12 years ago, there wasnt as much web info out there and I met up with a group called 'Just Us' on AOL that was nothing less than a life saver. I remained involved for many years after and we met at different locations to do Race for the Cure and to be able to meet each other after having supported each other through all of our ups and downs. If there is anyone out there who was involved with that board, I would love to hear from them as well.

Thank you all for your support and I hope I can be of support in return.

Jane (Kitchy)

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Options
    Jane, welcome to this
    Jane, welcome to this amazing group of individuals. I think you'll find the support and caring with this group that you experienced previously with your AOL group.

First, we are similar in our dx. The difference is in the time frame, I was dx in June 2009 with IDC and opted for a lumpectomy. I did T/C chemo, radiation and am currently taking Aromasin. I had a recurrence last July and opted for a bi-lateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. I was not a candidate for some of the "flap" surgeries because I just didn't have the body fat. I had a latissimus flap on both sides because my PS stated the outcome would be more symetrical. Originally, I only wanted to do the lat flap on the radiated side. I had my exchange surgery in November and at the time my PS also had to do a capsulectomy of the left side (rad side). I am 3 months out and at this stage the outcome is very good. I am symetrical and do not seem to be having any problems. I am now to the decision making on the nipples. Do I have more surgery or tatoo's. I am leaning towards tatoo's.

I exercise with a lady that opted for the diep procedure and she looks amazing. She did have a longer recovery but looks (she showed me her results) wonderful!
  • wendybia
    wendybia Member Posts: 73
    Options
    I had diep
    Sorry about the recurrence...i had diep 12/09....since its was unilateral my ps explanined the diep would look most like the other side....i was 43 and he also said if i went with an implant at some point later in my life i would need to go thru it again to replace the implant...the diep immediately followed mastectomy total surgery time was 9 hrs...you go to icu ward after most people are there 2-3 days...i had no problems with the actual surgery and really pushed myself...i stayed in icu just 12 hrs and walked that afternoon...we are all different but i believe what we but in our minds makes a big difference...total recovery was about two months but to me big picture was implants would be lots of visits and surgery over time not to match as well...like i said we are all different...i say no matter your decision try and stay positive and push yourself (with of course following dr's orders)...don't say why me ???? say why not me 1 in 8 really...try and find your blessings and be thankful for them...prayer helps alot too :)....make the decision that is right for you....anything i can answer for you just ask....
    wendy