Meal Replacement Drinks/ Bodybuilding supplements

adamson091654
adamson091654 Member Posts: 16
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
I have a plan for nutrition. I have been doing protein shakes for years (56 years old) from my weight-lifting. I will start my treatment 33 rad and 3 separate chemo on 2/2. I will use water, Whey protein (Pro Complex) mixed with a MRP called The Ultimate Meal (a powder that gives you all nutrients you can use. ) Actuall, Met-RX (bodybuilding supplement) was developed by a doctor for cancer patients losing mass. There are many bodybuilding supplements that may help me keep my weight (hopefully.) I will eat what I can for as long as I can (supplemented by the MRPs) then if I get the PEG I will continue the MRPs w/water. I am new to this but I hope this plan works...

Comments

• Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Mucous
    Depends on how much mucous it may cause or add to what you already may develope...if you can tolerate it, shouldn't be a reason that you need to change.

As for me, I pretty much stuck with Ensure Plus and water for about seven of the rougfhest weeks. Most bang for the buck, 350 calories per bottle.

Good Luck, thoughts an prayers...

Best,
    John
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Skiffin16 said:

Mucous
    Depends on how much mucous it may cause or add to what you already may develope...if you can tolerate it, shouldn't be a reason that you need to change.

As for me, I pretty much stuck with Ensure Plus and water for about seven of the rougfhest weeks. Most bang for the buck, 350 calories per bottle.

Best,
    John

How many calories do they
    How many calories do they want you to have while going thru treatment per day? How many calories does that stuff have per serving?

I am only a little tiny thing and they wanted me to get 2400 cals a day. I used Nutren 1.5 which is 375 cals a can so I did 6 cans a day, every four hours. I couldn't take anything by mouth abd with the cans I suplimented the cans and also put thru Activia, prune juice, sweet potato and squash baby food for the extra fibre, potassium and calories I needed.

When things hit the fan and I had issues holding food down I moved to carnation HCV which was 560 cals a can because I could not get much to stay down and needed all the calories possible.

I made sure I ran everything thru my nutritionist team and suggest you do the same. Having a plan is always good.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

Mucous

Best,
    John

Hi adam
    I hope it works for you, just watch out for what John said about the Mucous it can become a real problem at times during and after treatment.

Welcome to CSN and will keep you in our prayers & thoughts
    Hondo
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Hondo said:

Hi adam
    I hope it works for you, just watch out for what John said about the Mucous it can become a real problem at times during and after treatment.

Welcome to CSN and will keep you in our prayers & thoughts
    Hondo

Supplements vs Real Food
    Until calories become an issue, you are still probably best off getting as much nutrition as you can from real food - we all had huge discussions about juicers, etc. and if you are able to swallow liquids and keep them down, then juicing vegetables and fruits or pureeing them for soups is a better way to get those nutrients (other than protein) as you also include all the phytonutrients that come along for the ride.

It sounds like you have a good plan for when things really get tough - we never thought it would get that bad that quick, so I was caught flat-footed. Good luck!
  • ratface
    ratface Member Posts: 1,337 Member
    DrMary said:

Supplements vs Real Food
    Until calories become an issue, you are still probably best off getting as much nutrition as you can from real food - we all had huge discussions about juicers, etc. and if you are able to swallow liquids and keep them down, then juicing vegetables and fruits or pureeing them for soups is a better way to get those nutrients (other than protein) as you also include all the phytonutrients that come along for the ride.

It sounds like you have a good plan for when things really get tough - we never thought it would get that bad that quick, so I was caught flat-footed. Good luck!

It's more about the delivery system
    I think you are better off with a professional hospital grade food supplement. A nutrionist will know what is required for optimal health without neglecting any area which may be taxed during treatment. These are formulated for use with a PEG because typically it becomes impossible to get them past your throat when the radiation burns inside your throat have you in agony. This is why I think the PEG makes sense for the majority of patients. Some have done it without the PEG, but it is difficult to predict ahead of treatment how you will react. I also think it helps in recovery because you have a system in place to get all of the needed nutrients for healing.

Why don't you schedule a meeting with the hospital on staff nutrionist person. They can usually set you up with a program designed to fit your individual body and treatment schedule as well as put you in touch with outfitters of supplements. Use your plan as insurance to maintain your goals. I admire your planning ahead attitude!