Taste Buds

rmitchell
rmitchell Member Posts: 94
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Does anyone have trouble getting taste back after surgery. It has been 5 weeks and nothing really tastes good to my husband. He is doing well other than back pain.

Comments

• sandy1943
    sandy1943 Member Posts: 824
    Hi, I don't remember how
    Hi, I don't remember how long it took, but it was a while. When I did finally get it back , it was different. I never cared for real spicy foods, but really like them now.
    One of my favorite foods before was spagetti with meat sauce. I want it only occasionally now. This has been so with a lot of foods. I had pre op chemo and surgery in may 2008, and my taste and appetite is very good now!
    Good luck trying different things,
    Sandra
  • hobbssy
    hobbssy Member Posts: 16
    Hi: My husband had surgery
    Hi: My husband had surgery in July and finished chemo in November. He was completely turned off meat as well as all his favouite foods. He craves fruit now and never ate any before the surgery. He didn't enjoy the taste of most foods, but I am happy to say 6 1/2 months after surgery, he is now starting to get his taste buds back. He had a craving for a pot roast which I made on the weekend and he says it tastes so good. Hang in there, there will be lots of ups and downs, but eventually things will get better. Patti
  • rmitchell
    rmitchell Member Posts: 94
    hobbssy said:

Hi: My husband had surgery
    Hi: My husband had surgery in July and finished chemo in November. He was completely turned off meat as well as all his favouite foods. He craves fruit now and never ate any before the surgery. He didn't enjoy the taste of most foods, but I am happy to say 6 1/2 months after surgery, he is now starting to get his taste buds back. He had a craving for a pot roast which I made on the weekend and he says it tastes so good. Hang in there, there will be lots of ups and downs, but eventually things will get better. Patti

Don
    Thanks for your answer. He is looking forward to food tasting good again.
  • Cris
    Cris Member Posts: 3
    rmitchell said:

Don
    Thanks for your answer. He is looking forward to food tasting good again.

taste buds
    My doc told me taste buds are fast growing cells, the kind chemo attacks. Like people's hair comes back differently so do your taste buds. Foods I loved ie pizza, I can't stand now and am eating more fruit. Lots of people have a problem with meats. I often chew and spit, getting the flavor and some nutrients. Went out last night and finished the whole serving of salmon! I have a j-tube because at one point was losing weight and was very weak, haven't used it in months. Going for surgery 3/31/11.