VictoriaSF Member Posts: 165
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
hello Ladies
i need advise
as you know i had my first carbo/taxol treatment today,
and my face is red.... little itchy.
i know it can be effect of steroids,
but i would like to know how long it lasts and how i can help to get rid of it
can i use my creams, just regular mosturizers?

thanks so much in advance

hugs
Victoria

Comments

• zinaida
    zinaida Member Posts: 221
    Options
    Vita! I have same reaction
    Vita! I have same reaction with my face. I think it last 1-2 days. I did not do nothing special, but lotion help to cool it down and feel more comfortable. I hope teal sisters will have more advise on it. Chemo #1 done. You can do it! (((HUGS))), Zina.
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My face wasn't a horrible red but a nice looking flush color. Actually it gave me a 'healthy glow'. No itching though.
  • childofthestars
    childofthestars Member Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hi Victoria
    I didn't suffer with a red face as such but more of a 'healthy glow' although I did on 2 ocassions get a really red and itchy chin about 6 days after Taxol which went down again after I took antihistamine!! I also ocassionally got itchy and red over my whole body which again didn't last long.
    Take care
    Mx
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    me too
    I get this same reaction for about a day and I think it is the steroids. Use a cool washcloth to put on your face to reduce that feeling of heat....... oh, the neverending joys of chemoing!
    ((((HUGS)))) Maria
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options
    me too
    I too have the red face! Everytime I have chemo does not matter which cocktail I am on. Everytime though I have had decadron before chemo.

Decadron may cause the following symptoms that are related to flushed skin (neck or face):
    Anaphylaxis (rare).
    Reddening of the skin due to widening of small blood vessels (differs from flushing in that it is long-lasting) Reddening of the skin due to widening of small blood vessels

Usually last 1-2 days for me and several times I have had friends ask if I had been on vacation! ☺

Libby
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I get a red
    face with the taxol. On my firstline chemo, I was getting 175mg/m2, which is a common dose, and my face was beat red, and I was a bit hot for a few days. I don't recall the itching. I always received benadryl for anti ithcing before chemo, but didn't need to take any additional benadry after. Now I am on taxol every week, and on a lower dose, but I still get the red face, it just doesn't last as long.

If the itching persists, it might be a good idea to call your doctor, Victoria.

Take care,
    kathleen
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    we are all red faced
    this is a commen side effect for me too . Usually last around 2 days then it goes away. atleast we are not red from embarassment!!!....val
  • srwruns
    srwruns Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Mine is only about a day and
    Mine is only about a day and a half. More of a "glow" than sunburn looking. I kinda liked it since it gave me a little color (I am naturally very pale, and I am even more pale on chemo except for the day after). Hang in there...bone pain should start in a day or two, but it is totally manageable and does goes away in just a couple days. Susan
  • VictoriaSF
    VictoriaSF Member Posts: 165
    Options
    srwruns said:

Mine is only about a day and
    Mine is only about a day and a half. More of a "glow" than sunburn looking. I kinda liked it since it gave me a little color (I am naturally very pale, and I am even more pale on chemo except for the day after). Hang in there...bone pain should start in a day or two, but it is totally manageable and does goes away in just a couple days. Susan

thank you Ladies
    redness going away little by little
    it is not too bad now - yes - more like sunburn,
    i have very fair skin so maybe that is why it is more noticable

best
    victoria
  • anicca
    anicca Member Posts: 334 Member
    Options

thank you Ladies
    redness going away little by little
    it is not too bad now - yes - more like sunburn,
    i have very fair skin so maybe that is why it is more noticable

best
    victoria

Sun block!
    I didn't have that reaction, but it reminds me to remind you to apply sun block every day, as the chemo makes your skin more sensitive.
  • jloe
    jloe Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Flush
    That was how I felt and a bit warm the next day. It didn't last more than a day.