Cancer Wars 3-Return Of The Carcinoma

Options
mixleader
mixleader Member Posts: 267 Member
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
I had surgery scheduled for the 21st, but they moved up the date and I had it today. I'm sitting here sore and a bit foggy, but I wanted to let you all know what happened. The small lump I found in my neck by my cheekbone turned out to be malignant and was the same type of cancer as the original that attacked my Parotid gland and facial nerve. This latest little beastie was very close to the original site. My surgeon says he got clean margins on the excision, so he thinks he got it all. Well, I heard this last time too. This is distressing because the prior surgery back in May and the July/August radiation supposedly got rid of this. I have many questions for my docs at my follow up visits, but for right now, no additional treatments are planned other than close observation. So, the emotions are on the proverbial roller coaster right now and I don't know what to think about the future. This sucks.

Roger

Comments

• Noellesmom
    Noellesmom Member Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    Prayers, Roger
    My husband climbed back on the roller coaster today, too, so we are right there with you.

Yes, cancer definitely sucks. Big time.
  • Dragons7-7-2010
    Dragons7-7-2010 Member Posts: 79
    Options
    cancer does suck
    Roger - so sorry to hear about the return of the cancer. That does suck.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I firmly believe in the power of prayer. And the benefits in trying to stay positive but I know given your situation it is hard to stay positive. But do the best you can and take one day at a time, sometimes that is all we can do..live in the moment and enjoy that then let the next moment worry about itself. Not ignoring what you see as you did a great job finding the small lump so take that as a blessing that you found it while it was still small.

Again many are here for you in thoughts and prayers.

~ Eileen
  • Pam M
    Pam M Member Posts: 2,196
    Options
    This DOES Suck
    Glad your sugergy got bumped up, though. Also good to hear doc thinks he got it all. I know that won't help you sleep at night, though - at least, not yet. Do well.
  • rozaroo
    rozaroo Member Posts: 665
    Options
    Pam M said:

This DOES Suck
    Glad your sugergy got bumped up, though. Also good to hear doc thinks he got it all. I know that won't help you sleep at night, though - at least, not yet. Do well.

Roger
    I am sorry to hear about your reocurrence! I pray your surgery was success! Please try to give your mind & body some much needed rest.
    Thinking of you
    Roz
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member
    Options
    Thoughts & Prayers
    Coming your way......

Sorry for your situation.....

Best,
    John
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Options
    Hi Roger
    Sorry to hear this as I know the feeling of having this crap come back and the frustration with the doctors, just hang in there and get through this trial my friend.

Hondo
  • skipper85
    skipper85 Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Hang Tough Roger

Ask your doctor as many questions as you can think of. If you are not satisfied with the answers get a second opinion. If the cancer came back after treatment what are they waiting to observe? Why not do preventive chemo or at least get a PET or CT scan of your whole body so you can see what's going on - if anything. Follow your gut instinct on what to do. Your life depends on it.

Hoping everything turns out well for you.

(((PRAYERS & HUGS)))

Skipper
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options
    skipper85 said:

Hang Tough Roger

Ask your doctor as many questions as you can think of. If you are not satisfied with the answers get a second opinion. If the cancer came back after treatment what are they waiting to observe? Why not do preventive chemo or at least get a PET or CT scan of your whole body so you can see what's going on - if anything. Follow your gut instinct on what to do. Your life depends on it.

Hoping everything turns out well for you.

(((PRAYERS & HUGS)))

Skipper

Hang in there, Roger.
    I am so sorry to read this. Be strong and keep fighting the good fight!
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557
    Options

Hang in there, Roger.
    I am so sorry to read this. Be strong and keep fighting the good fight!

Proverbial Roller Coaster...
    ...do we ever get off? Roger, I am sorry to here that the lastest tumor shows cancer. Doctors seem very confident that they got it all if they are taking a wait and see approach.
    I have been thinking and writing more about the passenger with us, or the monkey on our backs, or the proverbial roller coaster...what ever we want to call it. I feel like once on board...cancer never quite is fully gone. Mark is still in the first 6 months of recovery, and while he is doing quite well and resuming most of his pre-cancer life; there is always something. Tonight at dinner he had a sharp pain in his jaw. This afternoon he texted me a frowny face :( with no explanation and my mind went nuts with what it meant. Hours later when he finally phoned...the frowny face was work related; but my point is: peace of mind is gone.
    Roger, your mind will go where it goes. This monster lurks, sometimes just making noises, other times leaving a mark. It is part of our new normal...carrying the passenger. Move through this time with trust in your doctors, faith in your perseverence, and the love and support of those around you.
    Kim
  • Jan Trinks
    Jan Trinks Member Posts: 477
    Options
    I know the feeling
    Hi Roger:

So sorry to hear about the return of your cancer. I so know that feeling from the spouse's point of view! Prayers your way! God Bless!

Jan (Basketcase)
  • buzz99
    buzz99 Member Posts: 404
    Options
    Cancer is back
    Cancer certainly is a sneaky little ****. After 9 years, my hubby developed a brand new primary cancer at the base of his tongue right next to the previous tonsil cancer despite having been radiated in that area. I hope you have a smooth recovery, Roger, and that it is gone for good although you will always be waiting for "the other shoe to drop" when that may never happen.
  • kingcole42005
    kingcole42005 Member Posts: 178
    Options
    It does suck, bigtime.
    It does suck, bigtime. I'm sorry you have to go through this all again, you will be in my prayers and I will send positive thoughts your way. I can't imagine how distressed you and your family must be, cancer is so unfair. You figure you get it once then boom your safe, and we are so not. It really hits home how observant we all have to be. If you feel any kind of lump or bump get it checked out immediately don't wait. Take care , Shelly
  • patricke
    patricke Member Posts: 570
    Options
    Cancer Sucks Camp
    Hey Roger, I'm deffinitely in the cancer sucks camp. I'm sorry to hear that you suffered a sneak attack, but glad that you found it and got to it quickly. Hopefully the doc nailed it this time. Years ago, within my first 5 yrs out of treatment, I received a couple of "eyes to thighs" combo MRI/CT scans which might be something to ask your doc about. There's a lot of good advice in the comments above, so hang in there, and keep yourself in the positive zone.

PATRICK