Ding! Round two

Options
joan60
joan60 Member Posts: 89
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I saw my Dr. today to find out what my ct revealed, as we thought cancer is back. I have some lesion on my liver and bowel. I well be starting carbo/taxol every 3 weeks and taxol once a week for 18 weeks. It has just been 6 months since my last chemo treatment. Even though I have had chemo before it is still scary as I don't know how I well react to this stuff, I did really well on my last treatment very little side effects. From reading the boards I see a lot of you have had carbo/taxol, any advice for my next ride on the chemo train? I'm trying not to get down so I keep joking about how I really didn't like how my hair was becoming to high maintance for my taste plus taking to long to dry!

Mentally getting ready for my transmission flush!
Joan

Comments

• Tina Brown
    Tina Brown Member Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Hi Joan
    I am in a similar position to you as I am on my second round of carbo/taxol. It is affecting me exactly the same as the first time. I feel a little groggy and sick for the first 4 - 5 days or so and then I am absolutely fine. My numbers have also gone down from 1081 to 449 after just one treatment.

So I am happy to be on it as it is working. I have my 3rd treatment on Thursday and get my CA125 results from 2nd treatment too.

I am facing all of this head on as I know exactly what is coming and it is not quite as scary as the first time.

Good luck Tina xx
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Ding, Ding
    I'm also chemoing for the second time. It's quite a different experience because you are farther along from your diagnosis and you go into it with less shock and more knowledge. Did you have carbo/taxol the first round? If not, many of us can help you with side effects, etc. I hadn't found this wonderful board the first time and it has been so much better for me to have a place to go with questions and support. We'll be here for you.
    ((((HUGS)))) Maria
  • Mum2bellaandwilliam
    Mum2bellaandwilliam Member Posts: 412
    Options
    Mwee said:

Ding, Ding
    I'm also chemoing for the second time. It's quite a different experience because you are farther along from your diagnosis and you go into it with less shock and more knowledge. Did you have carbo/taxol the first round? If not, many of us can help you with side effects, etc. I hadn't found this wonderful board the first time and it has been so much better for me to have a place to go with questions and support. We'll be here for you.
    ((((HUGS)))) Maria

@Tina
    Ah Tina I am so glad that your treatment is kicking it into touch again your numbers look good :) I know you are a PPC lady like mum so it's nice to see you doing so well .I know oncologists group the two together, but they are not the same, closely linked yes, but not the same!
    Mum has got her baseline ct scan on Monday.
    Keep fighting, and keep us updated on your progress x
  • joan60
    joan60 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Mwee said:

Ding, Ding
    ((((HUGS)))) Maria

This well be my first time
    This well be my first time on carbo/taxol. I had taxotere/amifostine/cisplatin and the following week I had taxol.
    So any help sent my way well be appreciated. I had very little side effects on first chemo and am hoping I'll be just as lucky.
  • poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    All aboard
    I am too on the chemo train and can't wait to get off . i had recurrance and showed area onlympe node and abd aeorta. Have 3 more to go on carbo/taxol . Makes you tired and will have bone mucsle and nerve pain, also will have some nausea. Will probaly last 4 or 5 days then you will feel much better. Good luck and keep us updated
  • NCEllen
    NCEllen Member Posts: 115
    Options
    I'm Back (2)
    Hi - It's been a really loooong time since I posted but I see that it's now time to come forward and join my sisters as we continue our journey hands and arms together.

I became 'family' busy last fall and December which was a good thing. We welcomed our first grand-daughter on Christmas Day. My daughters' birthday in 12-22 & mine 12-24- guess it's a 'girl' thing.

I knew 'it' was coming back though, and I didn't want to upset my daughter until after the baby was born and she was settled. I couldn't seem to keep weight on. The ileo reversal really left me with a mild mal-absorbtion syndrome. Anyway, the CT showed scattered 'spots' throughout abd. and pelvis.

I started my second tx. round with Carbo/Taxol last Monday. By Wed, it started to hit hard with nausea and soreness. Today (Sunday) I'm eating like normal again and treated myself to a DQ chocolate shake for lunch!

My initial and last chemo (six rounds of Carbo/Taxol) was finished on 7-28-09. I did have a nice long dance with NED. Last year let me travel to see my brother in Texas, spend time at the beach and mountains and then celebrate the end of the year with Chinese take-out on Christmas day while waiting for our little present.

I still read all of the posts- Carlene, the 'Nancy's :), Linda, Karen, Marty, Tina...everyone. I wanted so to post on the board to say that I was going to make it with NED to my cancerversary which is 1-28-09. I wanted to really give a hope-up, but I've learned that you really have to be on-call and ready to battle when called upon to do so.
    It's so important to have the encouraging words that 'YOU CAN DO IT!!!' when you feel bad. For all who are having current treatments and have the crummy I can't believe it days- you will get through it.....remember we are Battle-Lions!!!!!!
    My hubby is getting a 5 week break from chemo before he starts something else. Our marriage is obviously a little out there with one or the other being treated but hey, it's the way it is - so we deal with it and carry on with each new day.

Carlene- you will make the right decision and Joan....hydrate yourself as much as you can before your treatment and remember to drink at least 2 tablespoons of liquid every 30 minutes if you feel the nausea. I ended up using Zofran and Phenergan. I opted for Tylenol for pain instead of Lortab this time since I may be prone to an obstruction which I never want again.

Sorry again for the away time but I'll be here for awhile. Saying prayers (St. Peregrine ) for all of you and Sending ((((HUGS))) to all of you.

...from your Teal/NC Blue and Heart 'O Texas sister - Ellen
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    NCEllen said:

I'm Back (2)
    Hi - It's been a really loooong time since I posted but I see that it's now time to come forward and join my sisters as we continue our journey hands and arms together.

I became 'family' busy last fall and December which was a good thing. We welcomed our first grand-daughter on Christmas Day. My daughters' birthday in 12-22 & mine 12-24- guess it's a 'girl' thing.

I knew 'it' was coming back though, and I didn't want to upset my daughter until after the baby was born and she was settled. I couldn't seem to keep weight on. The ileo reversal really left me with a mild mal-absorbtion syndrome. Anyway, the CT showed scattered 'spots' throughout abd. and pelvis.

I started my second tx. round with Carbo/Taxol last Monday. By Wed, it started to hit hard with nausea and soreness. Today (Sunday) I'm eating like normal again and treated myself to a DQ chocolate shake for lunch!

My initial and last chemo (six rounds of Carbo/Taxol) was finished on 7-28-09. I did have a nice long dance with NED. Last year let me travel to see my brother in Texas, spend time at the beach and mountains and then celebrate the end of the year with Chinese take-out on Christmas day while waiting for our little present.

I still read all of the posts- Carlene, the 'Nancy's :), Linda, Karen, Marty, Tina...everyone. I wanted so to post on the board to say that I was going to make it with NED to my cancerversary which is 1-28-09. I wanted to really give a hope-up, but I've learned that you really have to be on-call and ready to battle when called upon to do so.
    It's so important to have the encouraging words that 'YOU CAN DO IT!!!' when you feel bad. For all who are having current treatments and have the crummy I can't believe it days- you will get through it.....remember we are Battle-Lions!!!!!!
    My hubby is getting a 5 week break from chemo before he starts something else. Our marriage is obviously a little out there with one or the other being treated but hey, it's the way it is - so we deal with it and carry on with each new day.

Carlene- you will make the right decision and Joan....hydrate yourself as much as you can before your treatment and remember to drink at least 2 tablespoons of liquid every 30 minutes if you feel the nausea. I ended up using Zofran and Phenergan. I opted for Tylenol for pain instead of Lortab this time since I may be prone to an obstruction which I never want again.

Sorry again for the away time but I'll be here for awhile. Saying prayers (St. Peregrine ) for all of you and Sending ((((HUGS))) to all of you.

...from your Teal/NC Blue and Heart 'O Texas sister - Ellen

lots going on
    at your end! Very well said...... "we continue our journey hands and arms together". Sorry to hear that you're into this fight once again and your husband has his own battle, but congrats on your granddaughter.
    (((HUGS))) Maria