New to this network - Anyone using Alternative Medicine? Stage 4 Breast Cancer

Options
2»

Comments

• DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    sal314 said:

So Sorry to Hear About Your Diagnosis...
    Have you had a second opinion? I'd definately get one, because it can make all the difference in the world! If you're insurance allows it, I'd do it. You should go to a major cancer center and or teaching/research hospital.

Even when someone's prognosis is "poor", any good doctor would offer some kind of help. I know of several women who where diagnosed with state IV, some with mets, some without, and they were around 5,8, 12 years later! Don't EVER give up hope.

As for the Alternative medicine, I think it's great in addition to standard/traditional treatment, but I don't think I'd put much faith in it by itself. That's just me though. Do what feels right and comfortable for you. But I'd definately see another doctor. In this day and age, no doctor worth a darn would every say to a cancer patient "there's no hope"!!

My father was diagnosed with Stage IV esophageal cancer 10 months ago. The prognosis isn't "statistically" good for him either, but the doctor told him he would work with him and give him a chance at the best quality of life that he could give him. He's doing both alternative and standard treatment.

Blessings,
    Sally

Sending prayers and good
    Sending prayers and good luck to your Father Sally.

Hugs, Diane
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    cookie97 said:

I too am stage VI mets to multiple bones
    http://livingbeyondbc.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/living-through-my-breast-cancer-timeline/

Hi all,

I enjoyed Debra's "tips." She says:

Take control of your life! Here’s what I do…

Meditate ( highly recommended)

Pretend to exercise

Try to eat sort-of-kind-of healthfully

Appreciate pretty skies and happy days

Get aggravated about dumb things ( just like anyone else)

Feel thankful as often as I remember

Love my family and friends

Laugh a lot (mostly at me)

Remember to breathe and appreciate life minute by minute

That’s pretty much it. Not much different than what most people try to do, right? Even though breast cancer makes us different than most people, what we want in life is no different from what someone who doesn’t have breast cancer wants in life. We want to live our lives in peace and happiness. And it’s my responsibility to make sure that happens for me. [end]

You, go, Debra!

This I found on another site that I visit as these are all stage VI ladies and gents.

In my personal opinion whatever you decide is the best for you. I did go the medicinal direction as I was just dx'd in May of 2010 with stage VI from the get go. However I have a sister that is 11 years cancer free when dx'd at 32 pancreatic cancer. I felt that if the docs saved her surely they would help me as well. I have not had sugery due to the fact that my cancer had also already spread. I have done chemo and I am getting ready to start Al's as far as diet is concerned I always eaten a very healthy diet, never been over weight and exercised pretty reguarly. I have heard of folks doing the macrobitic diet and living many years after stage VI diaganosis.
    I'm not a doctor and I would never suggest that my way is the right way. I am actually amazed that the doc's would give you such a grim prognosis. I've been told that i'm not curable but treat as a chronic illness.

My best to you in what ever you decide.
    Peace and Love,
    Edie

Great post Edie!
    Hugs, Jan

Great post Edie!

Hugs, Jan
  • newlife2011
    newlife2011 Member Posts: 40
    Options

I would love to be
    I would love to be introduced to BFF . . . it's sounds like there are several similarities in our approach to dealing with this disease and I would love to communicate with someone on a similar path.

I am sorry to hear that BFF's had a recurrence shortly after having the radiation. I had 3 second opinions - one doctor felt I should do radiation but I chose not to. If my prognosis is so poor, I thought I better work on quality of life instead. From what you wrote it seems BFF's cancer has spread much further than mine at this point - not sure if I mentioned I have 3 lymph-nodes outside of what is considered local to the breast. One behind the breast bone, one a few inches away just in front of the lung where the bronchial tubes and arteries meet and one between the major and minor pects. They also suspect possible cancer in the opposite breast but since I am stage 4 they are not planning to do anything about it.

Question about the HCG urine test, did BFF do this test multiple times and if so has she seen her numbers change? Are they going down?

Thank you for the information on the other survivors. I really find that encouraging!!

I hope you enjoy your weekend! I'll be here when BFF is interested in connecting.
    Once again thank you for all your information!

Wendy, my prayers are with you and BFF.

Suzanne

Suzanne, Thank you!
    I cannot

Suzanne, Thank you!
    I cannot answer for sure on how many HCG's she has done. I will let her talk to you about that. I know another source she would tell me to make sure you have looked at is Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Life. She alone could probably keep you busy for an entire weekend with the wealth of information she has, not to mention how grim her outlook was and she is still going strong about 7 years later. Here you go....

http://crazysexylife.com/

Your nodes....I am not sure I completely understand but I have to tell you I don't understand why they wouldnt look into the other breast? I guess if they arent going to do anything for the first, they arent going to do anything for the second and your health is in your hands. Frankly, I don't see it better any other way. I believe diet is extremely important...and I think you will find the same with not just my BFF but with Kris Carr. Can you believe, my BFF found out about her through her then 15 year old daughter? She brought Kris' movie home from school for BFF to watch. Amazing!

I am so glad you find this site encouraging...I do believe there is hope. How have you been feeling? Your support system? Have you talked to Cancer Centers of America? Did you have your CC this morning? Ha!

You take care, enjoy the site if you havent already. Thank you for your prayers.

Wendy
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    Options

Great post Edie!
    Hugs, Jan

Great post Edie!

Hugs, Jan

Welcome!
    I have been doing a combination of both. You might find information on breast cancer.org. It is set up differently and there is a whole thread for Alternative Theropy as well as one exclusively for stage 4 survivors. Stay well!

Roseann
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Welcome!
    I have been doing a combination of both. You might find information on breast cancer.org. It is set up differently and there is a whole thread for Alternative Theropy as well as one exclusively for stage 4 survivors. Stay well!

Roseann

Breastcancer.org is an
    Breastcancer.org is an excellent site. They do have the individual threads for anything and everything inre to breast cancer, treatments, surgery, daily living, spiritual, alternative, and, much more.

Good luck and keep updating us.

♥ Noel
  • kayladenisse
    kayladenisse Member Posts: 8
    Options

Thank you all for your warm welcome!
    I'd like to thank you all for your warm welcome!

Sue (Ritzy), I love your profile picture, he's fun and spunky looking.

Tara, thank you for your warm words. I think you are right, it is a battle of the human spirit, which I plan to win!

MyTurnNow, I did check on John32. I see I will have to look into his book. Thank you for the information.

I liked the picture picked for the profile - don't have many pictures - the baby is my God-Daughter/niece. She's 3 now and the apple of my eye.

Wendy, I hope your friend remains to do well. I really appreciate the information you provided as I haven't found many people doing alternative methods, just what I read on the internet. I've met one survivor of 11 years with no conventional methods but she did not have advanced cancer.

How long has your friend been using alternative methods?

Once I received my prognosis (end of October, 2010)I started a raw vegetable diet, bought a juicer and started shopping for organic food only. I lost 17 lbs in the first month. Some other minor health issues cleared up right a way. About a month later I started seeing an alternative medical doctor - he put me on 17 vitamins/supplements. I have read about the Budwig diet and have the cottage cheese ready to go. I tried it twice but have not started using it regularly as of yet.

I plan to start the diet mid this coming week as well as using apricot pits daily but I am waiting for my HCG urine test results first. I bought Bill Henderson's e-book and sent for the HCG urine test this past weekend - should have the results soon.

I did feel empowered when I learned of the HCG urine test as it appears to be a great way to have feedback on the progress I am making with the alternative methods. If the numbers go up, time to try something else. This test is suppose to be good for all types of cancer and gives an indicator of how you are doing without the scans. Currently I only have the alternative medical doctor, the breast surgeon as well as the oncologist are ready to support me with the alternative methods. My GP is also against it and treats me as though I'm almost out of here.

Thought starting the diet once my results come back gives me a good 6-8 weeks of doing the diet, then retest to see how I am doing.

I will look into the website you sent me Wendy. Haven't heard of this before.

Thank you all for keeping me in your prayers. I will pray for each of you as well.
    Best,
    Suzanne

Alternative
    Hi Miss Pretty,

I'm stage 4 too, and although I wouldn't call my treatment "alternative", it's alternative to me! I just try to infuse healthy foods into my diet now. Fruit shake (yogurt, blueberries, blackberries, spinach leaves, bananas) in the a.m. Fruits and veggies with a cup of broth (every healthy thing under the sun, simmered for 1/2 an hour, then strained) for lunch, similar for dinner. I do still chow on chicken wings (I'm from Buffalo what can I say?!) but at least I'm adding the nutrient warriors to the battle!
  • kasperdaisy
    kasperdaisy Member Posts: 12
    Options

Suzanne, Thank you!
    I cannot

Suzanne, Thank you!
    I cannot answer for sure on how many HCG's she has done. I will let her talk to you about that. I know another source she would tell me to make sure you have looked at is Kris Carr's Crazy Sexy Life. She alone could probably keep you busy for an entire weekend with the wealth of information she has, not to mention how grim her outlook was and she is still going strong about 7 years later. Here you go....

http://crazysexylife.com/

Your nodes....I am not sure I completely understand but I have to tell you I don't understand why they wouldnt look into the other breast? I guess if they arent going to do anything for the first, they arent going to do anything for the second and your health is in your hands. Frankly, I don't see it better any other way. I believe diet is extremely important...and I think you will find the same with not just my BFF but with Kris Carr. Can you believe, my BFF found out about her through her then 15 year old daughter? She brought Kris' movie home from school for BFF to watch. Amazing!

I am so glad you find this site encouraging...I do believe there is hope. How have you been feeling? Your support system? Have you talked to Cancer Centers of America? Did you have your CC this morning? Ha!

You take care, enjoy the site if you havent already. Thank you for your prayers.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,
    Thanks again for

Hi Wendy,

Thanks again for the above information! I haven't had time to be online much this weekend, but when I have time, I'll check out the crazysexylife.come site.

Got my first HCG test results back - had a 55. I'm not sure where I started as I only learned about this recently. I hope the numbers are going downward. I understand through checking websites that a number of 56-57 shows advanced cancer. 49 and under is normal. I am so looking forward to my next HCG test which I'll do in about 5-6 weeks.

I started the Silva Mind Control meditations today. Hoping that gives me an additional way to fight this disease.

. . . Yes I did contact the Cancer Centers of America - the one in PA. Insurance doesn't cover and I don't have the funds to go there but they were the ones who got my husband and I thinking about nutritional oncology. This is actually where the idea of alternative medicine started for me. My husband bought the book, "Beating Cancer with Nutrition" by Patrick Quillin, PhD, RD CNS.

To answer your question, when I went for a second opinion once I was told I had stage 4 cancer, the hospital's radiologist re-read my films and felt there might be cancer cells in the second breast in what they called clusters. They were planning to do an MRI biopsy but since I had a biopsy on one of the nodes behind the breast plate and it came back positive confirming stage 4 breast cancer, the doctors decided not to do anything with the other breast. Not really sure if there is cancer there or not.

I have been feeling fine. If I didn't find the original lump I wouldn't even know I have cancer, never mind stage 4. There are several things that I have found improving since I started the alternative diet and supplements. When I was 24 I was in a serve car accident - broke my L1 vertebrae, pelvis in 3 places on the right side, broken ribs, and internal injuries. That was 28 years this past Christmas day. I recovered fairly well but have a residual walking problem since. Since I started the 70% raw diet, all organic food, no sugar, no flour, no carbonated beverages, etc. I have not used my wheelchair (which has been 2 months now). Back still hurts on occassion but I have been on my feet every night (used to be 2-5 nights a week my husband would have to wheel me to the bathroom and the bed). Usually during the day I'd be on my feet.

That above fact alone has helped the quality of my life already.

What is CC?

Hope you are having a good time with BFF. I think of her often.

Have a great rest of the weekend.

Suzanne
  • kasperdaisy
    Options

Alternative
    Hi Miss Pretty,

I'm stage 4 too, and although I wouldn't call my treatment "alternative", it's alternative to me! I just try to infuse healthy foods into my diet now. Fruit shake (yogurt, blueberries, blackberries, spinach leaves, bananas) in the a.m. Fruits and veggies with a cup of broth (every healthy thing under the sun, simmered for 1/2 an hour, then strained) for lunch, similar for dinner. I do still chow on chicken wings (I'm from Buffalo what can I say?!) but at least I'm adding the nutrient warriors to the battle!

Hi Kayladenisse,
    Seems like

Hi Kayladenisse,

Seems like you are getting a lot of the good veggies/fruit in. It all helps!

Buffalo wings? I love them. Went to school in Buffalo many, many years ago! Spent about 2 years up there. Keep warm!

I'd like to stay in touch with you.

Best,

Suzanne
  • kasperdaisy
    Options
    meena1 said:

First of all, i am so, so
    First of all, i am so, so sorry for your diagnosis, i know how devastating that is as I am also stage 4 and I know that I want to live and enjoy many more years. i was originally diagnosed July 7,2008 with Inflammatory Breast Cancer with mets to bone and liver. I went into remission and had a reoccurance on June 3, 2010 with a large tumor on my liver, the bones are stable. I am going the traditional route right now and they are trying to find a chemo drug that will reduce the tumors, i would compare it to a roller coater ride. I have read a lot about alternative treatments but have not used any because i have been told that they interact with many chemotherapy drugs, even green tea is bad for you if you are in chemo and could make the cancer cells stronger! I do however follow some food therapies. I ate asparagus every day, i cook with olive oil and garlic, i was using tumeric, which is an Indian spice that you mix in olive oil and black pepper. I also was into a book called "The Anti-Cancer Diet" which uses foods as a way to combat cancer. I have heard about the flax and cheese so I may try that one.
    I am not sure if I understand something, did they tell you that no Chemotherapy will work on you? I am reading above that they gave you no hope. I have never been given any precentages or time frame but I have told that my cancer is very serious. I try to remain very positive and try to live my life as normal as possible. What the heck does 50% chance of living 3 years mean! What chemo drugs are they offering you? I personally would tell you to try any traditional treatment they are offering you and maybe use anti cancer foods, but do not give up on any of the chemo drugs that are available. They also say that walking or exercise (even through malls!!) helps breast cancer patients. i hope that you are not giving up on treatment. I go to a very large Cancer hospital in Philadelphia and i am very hopeful that i am going to get through this. i know that this may be hard, but think of positive things because the whole depression thing will only make you physically sicker.

Hi Meena1,
    Thank you for

Hi Meena1,

Thank you for your response. I am sorry to hear about your recurrence. I would like to offer you support and encouragement. I also have "The Anti-Cancer Diet" book and use all of the foods you listed above as well as more. I plan to do the flax oil and cottage cheese diet starting this next week as well.

My oncologist told me they would only do hormone therapy - no chemo. When he told me that I was devastated as I felt the medical doctors were giving up on me - just giving me hormone drugs to give some quality of life with no real life expectancy to speak of. Chemo would only be as a last ditch resort.

I don't understand it myself as I have read many forums where people are stage 4 and getting chemo. I'll stick with the alternative for now since I can always go back to the traditional although I don't know why since they told me they don't have much to offer me.

In the meantime I am doing everything I possibly can to give myself a chance. My spirits are terrific at this point - only an occasional moment of anxiety sneaks in.

Here's to getting better and beating this thing called cancer. I wish you the best,
    Suzanne
  • kasperdaisy
    Options
    cookie97 said:

I too am stage VI mets to multiple bones
    http://livingbeyondbc.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/living-through-my-breast-cancer-timeline/

Hi all,

I enjoyed Debra's "tips." She says:

Take control of your life! Here’s what I do…

Meditate ( highly recommended)

Pretend to exercise

Try to eat sort-of-kind-of healthfully

Appreciate pretty skies and happy days

Get aggravated about dumb things ( just like anyone else)

Feel thankful as often as I remember

Love my family and friends

Laugh a lot (mostly at me)

Remember to breathe and appreciate life minute by minute

That’s pretty much it. Not much different than what most people try to do, right? Even though breast cancer makes us different than most people, what we want in life is no different from what someone who doesn’t have breast cancer wants in life. We want to live our lives in peace and happiness. And it’s my responsibility to make sure that happens for me. [end]

You, go, Debra!

This I found on another site that I visit as these are all stage VI ladies and gents.

In my personal opinion whatever you decide is the best for you. I did go the medicinal direction as I was just dx'd in May of 2010 with stage VI from the get go. However I have a sister that is 11 years cancer free when dx'd at 32 pancreatic cancer. I felt that if the docs saved her surely they would help me as well. I have not had sugery due to the fact that my cancer had also already spread. I have done chemo and I am getting ready to start Al's as far as diet is concerned I always eaten a very healthy diet, never been over weight and exercised pretty reguarly. I have heard of folks doing the macrobitic diet and living many years after stage VI diaganosis.
    I'm not a doctor and I would never suggest that my way is the right way. I am actually amazed that the doc's would give you such a grim prognosis. I've been told that i'm not curable but treat as a chronic illness.

My best to you in what ever you decide.
    Peace and Love,
    Edie

Edie,
    I loved your above

Edie,

I loved your above list. It's much of what I am doing!

I was dx'd July of 2010, had surgery due to the doctor's thinking it was stage 2 in September of 2010 by the end of that month I had a Pet Scan which showed it was stage 4 instead. My second and third opinion's confirmed it was stage 4 at the end of October 2010.

I wish my doctor's had a different view as it was quite shocking to have such a grim prognosis. I am carefully monitoring how I am doing - I do see a doctor that has treated many, many cancer patients and helped them to live much extended lives. I am very strict on my diet and except for a few cups of coffee I have not budged from the regime since I started on November 11th, 2010. I do take vitamins to support my immune system and several supplements like DIMs and Calicum D-Glurate which are to work like Tamoxafin for the hormone levels. I also take several supplements that are geared toward reducing cancer. I buy all of my supplements from the dispensary from the doctor's office - at least I believe the quality is better than if I bought them on my own.

Your approach of doing both approaches should work complementary.

My best to you!
    Suzanne
  • kasperdaisy
    Options
    roseann4 said:

Welcome!

Roseann

Thank you Roseann!
    Stay well

Thank you Roseann!

Stay well also,
    Suzanne
  • kasperdaisy
    Options
    Noel said:

Breastcancer.org is an
    Breastcancer.org is an excellent site. They do have the individual threads for anything and everything inre to breast cancer, treatments, surgery, daily living, spiritual, alternative, and, much more.

Good luck and keep updating us.

♥ Noel

Noel,
    I also want to thank

Noel,

I also want to thank you for the above information. I was recently directed to go there and found it to be very helpful.

Keep well,
    Suzanne
  • newlife2011
    newlife2011 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Hi Suzanne, I sent you a
    Hi Suzanne, I sent you a private message.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Options

Sally, My prayers are with
    Sally, My prayers are with you and your father as he moves forward with his treatment. I'm happy to hear he is doing both traditional and alternative medicine. They should really support each other.

I had 3 opinions, 2 from teaching research hospitals here in NY. It was at one of these very hospitals that I was told no hope. Let me tell you I was devastated! I think I was beyond depression - I cried 23 out of 24 hours for 3 days, sick to my stomach. The only way I was able to restore my "HOPE" was to spend my waking hours on the internet researching. If I read it on one site, I had to find it on at least 15-20 other sites to back up the information I was reading (can't always trust what you read on the internet). The biggest link or help to me was finding an actual person who had a high risk for recurrence - they did alternative medicine and it's 11 years past and they've not had a reccurence. Then I found more and more stories of survivors and read what they've done. That has been extremely inspirational. I haven't cried over my health since those first few days back this past late October.

I know I have the option of going back to Traditional medicine at any time but I pray and hope that what I am doing works. That is why I am so excited about the HCG urine test - to give me feedback to know if I am heading in the correct direction.

I will keep you and your father in my thoughts.

Thank you so much for sharing.

Best,
    Suzanne

Sending cyber hugs and
    Sending cyber hugs and prayers for you Suzanne! We have to do what we have to do to keep the beast gone.

Hugs, Angie
  • micky01
    micky01 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I think you're on the right track
    Hi Kasperdaisy,

I know the fear and sadness you were feeling when you were diagnosed as I was just diagnosed with HER2 positive (triple positive) breast cancer that is grade III. Won't know staging until the sentinel node biopsy in a week and a half but it's a very aggressive cancer. I'm only 38 and single, which makes the forthcoming mastectomy and prognosis even more grim for me.

I wanted to let you know that since diagnoses,I've done a plethora of research on alternative treatments and watched all kinds of documentaries to try and be as informed as possible. I've decided to go the route of surgery and metabolic therapy. In my view, it doesn't make sense to kill carcinoma with carcinogens (chemo). Killing cancer with carcinogenic toxins is like clearing a cluttered room by sending in a tornado, in my opinion.

You can read "Knockout" by Suzanne Somers, where she interviews alternative medicine doctors all over the U.S. that are curing cancer naturally, and also check out "The Ultimate Guide to Vitamin B-17 Metabolic Therapy." The documentary "Food Matters" also gives great insight on the value of nutrition over caustic conventional treatment. From my research, it appears that the more you can do all together, the better. For instance, the cottage cheese and flax seed, plus the juicing, pancreatic enzymes, vitamin C intravenously, noni juice, and laetrile (B-17 found in apricot kernals), and anything else that helps immune support. The Ultimate Guide to Vitamin B-17 Metabolic Therapy lays out a plan you can do at home, and tells what to take and how much...very, very informative.

You have to figure, your healthy cells did nothing wrong to you. They are, in fact, what are keeping you breathing right now. Why kill all of those off with chemo, just for a possibility of killing the cancer, which is likely to recur since your body already knows how to make it. Doesn't make sense.

And remember, no doctor can ever tell you how long you will live. Only you and God can know that. I think a positive outlook and strong will to live go a long, long way. Best of luck to you! You're gonna do great, I just know it!
  • SueRelays
    SueRelays Member Posts: 485
    Options
    micky01 said:

I think you're on the right track
    Hi Kasperdaisy,

I know the fear and sadness you were feeling when you were diagnosed as I was just diagnosed with HER2 positive (triple positive) breast cancer that is grade III. Won't know staging until the sentinel node biopsy in a week and a half but it's a very aggressive cancer. I'm only 38 and single, which makes the forthcoming mastectomy and prognosis even more grim for me.

I wanted to let you know that since diagnoses,I've done a plethora of research on alternative treatments and watched all kinds of documentaries to try and be as informed as possible. I've decided to go the route of surgery and metabolic therapy. In my view, it doesn't make sense to kill carcinoma with carcinogens (chemo). Killing cancer with carcinogenic toxins is like clearing a cluttered room by sending in a tornado, in my opinion.

You can read "Knockout" by Suzanne Somers, where she interviews alternative medicine doctors all over the U.S. that are curing cancer naturally, and also check out "The Ultimate Guide to Vitamin B-17 Metabolic Therapy." The documentary "Food Matters" also gives great insight on the value of nutrition over caustic conventional treatment. From my research, it appears that the more you can do all together, the better. For instance, the cottage cheese and flax seed, plus the juicing, pancreatic enzymes, vitamin C intravenously, noni juice, and laetrile (B-17 found in apricot kernals), and anything else that helps immune support. The Ultimate Guide to Vitamin B-17 Metabolic Therapy lays out a plan you can do at home, and tells what to take and how much...very, very informative.

You have to figure, your healthy cells did nothing wrong to you. They are, in fact, what are keeping you breathing right now. Why kill all of those off with chemo, just for a possibility of killing the cancer, which is likely to recur since your body already knows how to make it. Doesn't make sense.

And remember, no doctor can ever tell you how long you will live. Only you and God can know that. I think a positive outlook and strong will to live go a long, long way. Best of luck to you! You're gonna do great, I just know it!

THis is all so timely!! I
    THis is all so timely!! I just made my decision for treatment yesterday. I am also HER2 positive, grade 3, stage II. I read Suzanne Somers book, as well as other alternative therapies. I have been torn for the past couple of weeks. I thought if I was Stage 4, I would go to Dr Brazinski (sp?) clinic that Suzanne Somers mentions. I find his work very interesting. After much research and sleepless nights, I an choosing to do traditional combined with alternative. My acupuncturist actually said it best. "Your treatment should match your diagnosis". If you have an aggressive cancer, you need to treat it with an aggresive therapy". Simple, but made sense to me. I had 1/2 of my liver out a year ago, and like he said...THAT was aggressive, and I am a perfect model to prove what our body can go through and come back strong from. Since he is an alternative guy, I was surprised he was prompting in the Western traditions. He knew a family where the Mom and 2 daughters had breast cancer. The Mom passed, mainly because of her age, but the 2 sisters chose completely different treatments, and the one that did nothing, tanked in about 6 months. I have read positive wonderful stories from people who have survived years with no chemo, etc., but then again, we all know how many people just on these boards that are here because of chemo....or maybe it is all really just a crap shoot :)! I HATE the idea of losing my hair, and having that "cancer" look, but death appeals to me even less. I HATE the idea of dumping poisons in to my body, but hopefully along with chinese nutrients, and supplements, the effects will be minimized. I feel better now that I have made a decision, but am scared and certainly not looking forward to this next year of HErceptin, chemo, lumpectomy, raditaion....UGH!!!!
    I am so glad there are so many helpful angels on this site! I plan on exhausting you all of your knowledge! I wish ALL of you the very best and thank you all for sharing.
  • micky01
    micky01 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    SueRelays said:

THis is all so timely!! I
    THis is all so timely!! I just made my decision for treatment yesterday. I am also HER2 positive, grade 3, stage II. I read Suzanne Somers book, as well as other alternative therapies. I have been torn for the past couple of weeks. I thought if I was Stage 4, I would go to Dr Brazinski (sp?) clinic that Suzanne Somers mentions. I find his work very interesting. After much research and sleepless nights, I an choosing to do traditional combined with alternative. My acupuncturist actually said it best. "Your treatment should match your diagnosis". If you have an aggressive cancer, you need to treat it with an aggresive therapy". Simple, but made sense to me. I had 1/2 of my liver out a year ago, and like he said...THAT was aggressive, and I am a perfect model to prove what our body can go through and come back strong from. Since he is an alternative guy, I was surprised he was prompting in the Western traditions. He knew a family where the Mom and 2 daughters had breast cancer. The Mom passed, mainly because of her age, but the 2 sisters chose completely different treatments, and the one that did nothing, tanked in about 6 months. I have read positive wonderful stories from people who have survived years with no chemo, etc., but then again, we all know how many people just on these boards that are here because of chemo....or maybe it is all really just a crap shoot :)! I HATE the idea of losing my hair, and having that "cancer" look, but death appeals to me even less. I HATE the idea of dumping poisons in to my body, but hopefully along with chinese nutrients, and supplements, the effects will be minimized. I feel better now that I have made a decision, but am scared and certainly not looking forward to this next year of HErceptin, chemo, lumpectomy, raditaion....UGH!!!!
    I am so glad there are so many helpful angels on this site! I plan on exhausting you all of your knowledge! I wish ALL of you the very best and thank you all for sharing.

Hi SueRelays!
    This so bites doesn't it? Lol. Making the treatment decision is the hardest part of this for sure. I wanted to let you know that there is a new trial study for a less toxic version of chemo therapy that works with Herceptin and does not cause hair loss. I saw it on youtube and the doctor that speaks about it is Edith Perez from the Mayo Clinic in San Antonio. I'm at the Mayo Clinic in Phx, and my doctor told me they're not trying this as an adjuvant therapy (after sugery), and are just doing the current trial for neoadjuvant therapy (I think it's called). I just thought you might want to check it out. It sounds very promising and I said I want to participate if they do make it a post-surgery option in clinical trial. Otherwise, I'm going to try and see Dr. Nick Gonzalez in New York for his metabolic program. It's expensive though, just as any naturopathic option is because insurance doesn't cover it.

I have kidney disease which is why I'm leaning towards the alternative treatment path...and like you, don't want to dump mustard gas containing chemicals into my body. I also believe that attitude is essential to healing and my attitude towards chemo is horrific. I hope everything goes well for you and you tolerate the treatments easily. If you do an integrated approach, I'm sure that will help fortify you. Very best of luck to you! You sound strong and determined which is a great start. :)
  • CatL
    CatL Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Diagnosed stage 4 BC- Using alternative approach!
    Hi!

Your story is so similar to mine! I am 46 years old. I was diagnosed at the end of October. I had a left breast mascectomy and all 21 lymph nodes in the right arm. The tumor in my breast was 4.5 cm and there was cancer in 17 of the lymph nodes with multiple tumors. The body scan showed a few tiny lesions in my lungs,and lower back. Therefore- the are not giving me any traditional chemotherapy or radiation unless any tumors cause discomfort in the future.
    Since the breast cancer was Estrogen positive- they are giving me Tamoxifin and Lupron
    to block hormones and I get bone strengthening and steroid infusions once a month. I have started eating a diet (since Nov 1st)- that includes alot of fresh veggies, minimal fruit, some whole grains, beans and non-hormonal eggs and salmon. I am eating 100% organic food. I bought an alkalinizing water purifier. I think this approach is working because the lesions in my lungs have shrunk down and the ones in my bones are showing a positive response to the hormone blockers. I really look and feel healthier than I have in years. I am also doing alot of belief change work with a Theta healer/therapist. The last blood test showed that the cancer was not progressing. If you want any more details about what I am doing then let me know. I have a good friend who was in the same boat and she survived for 23 years and lived her full life-span with stage 4 breast cancer! There IS hope!

Cat
  • Muschi
    Muschi Member Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Alternative
    Hi kasperdaisy,
    I did alternativ even though I was warned from my onc that I would (play) with my life. I have BC HER2+ which is very aggressive. I did not listen because I could not see myself to put all that poison (chemo or rads) in my body. I stayed for a year on the Gerson Therapy, which means 13 fresh juices a day and only organic veggies and fruits and also 3to4 organic coffee enemas. It was very hard to do but I did hoping I will be healed for sure. This treatment should have been going on for 2 years but I got so sick after one year and my husband had to take me to the ER. There I did found out that I was so dehydrated that it would have killed me, even with all them juices. Anyway, I also was tested C-scan and for the bones and a few more, can't remember all. The cancer had spread and I had to do chemo right away. The only good thing from all the alternative treatment was that my body was clean from all the other toxin which causes sometimes in itself cancer and when I had chemo I went through with flying colors. Maybe what you are doing is far better, but it was not for me, sorry. I finnished with chemo/rads, have to do for a few years herceptin. Nothing is sure but we all have to do what we can to stay alive. I hope it works for you. May I ask what alternativ you are doing?