Not the tamoxifen...

Options
mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited August 2023 in Breast Cancer #1
A few days ago, I wrote about a problem I was having which I attributed to Tamoxifen. I was WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Went to my new family doctor. After explaining my painful experiences with muscle cramping on AI's and Tamoxifen, she said she doesn't believe it's the tamoxifen. She took a closer look at my other meds (diuretic for blood pressure). She believes that may be the culprit. Today it's back on the tamoxifen, changing BP meds, joining a Yoga class for muscle stretching, and taking an OTC called Cal/Mag/Zinc.

I think that we sometimes are so taken up by all that's going on in our bodies from chemo, rads, and hormonal therapy, that we attibute every ache and pain to these things. Sometimes, if we have a good family doctor, we should talk with them and take a step back to look for a simpler solution.

I'm so excited to get back on my tamoxifen. Yes, excited. I'm a three year survivor and I want to keep it that way. Hope this posting may help someone else. Hugs, Marilynn

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post. I
    Thank you for your post. I suspect that what you describe may actually happen a lot here. Many of us are getting older and on other meds and the adverse effects we attribute to a particular drug may in fact have little to do our problems.

And, we have to remember, the worst adverse effect of all, is the beast returning and winning. I know quality of life is important, but the beast will eliminate the quality of our lives faster than any drug.
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    :-)
    Hi Marilynn so glad to hear that your doc is on top of things and helped you to figure out what was causing you all the discomfort. I think you are right though, as a cancer survivor my mind goes right to "is it cancer" with every ache or pain. I think its a double edged sword, better to be a bit freaked out and think that way then not as it gets us to the doctor faster. By the way it is nice to see you on the boards again, you have been missed.

RE
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Thank you for your post. I
    Thank you for your post. I suspect that what you describe may actually happen a lot here. Many of us are getting older and on other meds and the adverse effects we attribute to a particular drug may in fact have little to do our problems.

And, we have to remember, the worst adverse effect of all, is the beast returning and winning. I know quality of life is important, but the beast will eliminate the quality of our lives faster than any drug.

Glad your doctor figured out
    Glad your doctor figured out what was the problem. Good luck to you.

♥ Noel
  • EllenaMaria
    EllenaMaria Member Posts: 69
    Options
    RE said:

Hi Marilynn so glad to hear that your doc is on top of things and helped you to figure out what was causing you all the discomfort. I think you are right though, as a cancer survivor my mind goes right to "is it cancer" with every ache or pain. I think its a double edged sword, better to be a bit freaked out and think that way then not as it gets us to the doctor faster. By the way it is nice to see you on the boards again, you have been missed.

RE

Great update.
    Don't blame you for your first thought though. It is great to have a doctor that can step back and look at the whole picture before assigning blame to the easiest culprit, especially when it involves such an important medication.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    That is GREAT news!!!!
    I am hitting 5 years in July with Tamoxifen. I like to think it had to do with my survival!

I am so happy that your doc found this! I know that my beau, on some heart and cholesterol drugs, has MAJOR troubles with pain and stiffness...so also good for YOU for persuing what it actually was!!!

BIG dutch hugs, Kathi
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    RE said:

RE

Twins????
    RE, you and that baby have the same smiles. How cute is that!!!!!!!!! Hugs, Marilynn
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    Options
    So glad
    I'm so glad your doctor was able to find a problem that explains your symptoms and is easily fixed. Thanks for sharing.

marge
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Great update.
    Don't blame you for your first thought though. It is great to have a doctor that can step back and look at the whole picture before assigning blame to the easiest culprit, especially when it involves such an important medication.

Glad it wasn't the tamox, so, you can continue taking it.

♥ Kristin ♥
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    KathiM said:

That is GREAT news!!!!
    I am hitting 5 years in July with Tamoxifen. I like to think it had to do with my survival!

I am so happy that your doc found this! I know that my beau, on some heart and cholesterol drugs, has MAJOR troubles with pain and stiffness...so also good for YOU for persuing what it actually was!!!

BIG dutch hugs, Kathi

Good news!
    Leeza

Good news!

Leeza
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    KathiM said:

That is GREAT news!!!!

BIG dutch hugs, Kathi

Congrats on being a 3 year
    Congrats on being a 3 year survivor and happy that you could start taking tamox again.

Lex
  • tkrovetz
    tkrovetz Member Posts: 1 *
    Options

Thanks for this post. I am also having a problem with muscle cramping which I thought was due to Tamoxifen. I have started adding magnesium to my diet and hope this helps. The only pother med I take is Fosamax which the doc says does not cause muscle cramps.

• Sergai
    Sergai Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I've been on Tamoxifen for about 1 1/2 years. I was getting cramps in my calves and shins, waking me up. I started stretching my calves before bed and now it only happens occasionally and it is less severe. Earlier I read posts on how Tamoxifen causes runners to be much slower. That happened to me, but my oncologist said it shouldn't affect running. I was later diagnosed with AFIB, which definitely can affect running. So, you never know.