Question about electrolyte levels and severe weakness

Options
mlbrooks852
mlbrooks852 Member Posts: 67
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Last chemo was in September, just before a fractured hip happened at the end of September. In December, the Most recent PET, EGD, and CT revealed nothing seen. Dale is eating well, taking protein supplements and should be getting stronger.......right? Well, he seems to be getting weaker, losing a few more pounds, and got so weak I took him to the ER last Saturday. His potassium level was 2.5. They gave him IV potassium, PO potassium, and sent him home with a script. We followed up with our medical doctor and are waiting on results of labs drawn on Friday. He is a little bit better, but still remains so weak that getting from his chair to the bathroom is an effort. Asking for advice.......we think he is doing all the right things, but the road to recovery seems to have taken a detour. Do any of you have any suggestions about why the electrolyte levels are staying so messed up. His CBC counts were good. He does have loose stools at times, but denies diarrhea. I am at a loss. Alcohol intake is minimal. He has given up the beer drinking, for which I am very thankful.

The protein that we are doing is whey protein, and he has been taking two scoops for an afternoon snack. (52 gms protein). he is tolerating that well.

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Make Sure It's Not Another Issue...
    Hopefully the rest of his blood work is ok. Make sure his Hemoglobin is good. If it's low, that can cause severe fatigue and weakness as well. And it's also a sign that he could be bleeding internally.

That happened with my dad. He felt no pain, just really tired and lathargic. Turns out his Hemoglobin was like a 2 or 3. Normal is around 14. He ended up having several blood transfusions and they eventually found the source of the bleeding. It happened twice. The first time that's how he was diagnosed with EC.

Something to be aware of anyway.

Hope they find out what's causing Dale's weakness. I'll be praying for you both.

Blessings,
    Sally
  • mlbrooks852
    mlbrooks852 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Thank you guys
    You're right, Sherri, I am very concerned. The family doctor did not call with results today, even though I spoke to their office twice. They will probably call tomorrow while i am at work, and Dale will not remember what they tell him. Ugh....it is so hard to try to work outside the home when you have your hands full at home. Unfortunately, I have no choice.

Gonna wait a couple of days and then call the Cancer Center that we go to, and see what they say. We have appreciated so much the wonderful care that is given at CTCA, but it is hard to be 350 miles away from your provider, too. i know several on this forum deal with that same situation.
  • mrsbotch
    mrsbotch Member Posts: 349
    Options

Thank you guys
    You're right, Sherri, I am very concerned. The family doctor did not call with results today, even though I spoke to their office twice. They will probably call tomorrow while i am at work, and Dale will not remember what they tell him. Ugh....it is so hard to try to work outside the home when you have your hands full at home. Unfortunately, I have no choice.

Gonna wait a couple of days and then call the Cancer Center that we go to, and see what they say. We have appreciated so much the wonderful care that is given at CTCA, but it is hard to be 350 miles away from your provider, too. i know several on this forum deal with that same situation.

Low potassium
    I found out today that my husband has SIADH. His potassium and sodium levels are very low.Chemo drugs can cause this . Anyhow he has been getting TPN feeding and every week when he gets his blood drawn she is noticing both levels are going down.So today she called the cancer center and they told her he has SIADH. Its a disorder where sod and pot and protein are not processed in the body. You would have to look it up to understand it. Your counts would become very low. Thank Goodness we have a good friend who is a pharmacist. He looked it up for me . Anyhow Vince was given a prescription for doxycycline. and this will regulate things so that these good minerals stay in the body. Vince has been so fatigued and loopy acting and It must be this. Ask your dr. about his levels. The Tpn nurse said that even tho every week he had added sod and pot and albumin in his feeding it made no difference at all as it was builing up in his body. That is prabably why his urine is smelling strong as the kidneys are not filtering right. I hope this helps and I hope the meds will help my husband

Barb
  • mrsbotch
    mrsbotch Member Posts: 349
    Options

Thank you guys

Low potassium
    I found out today that my husband has SIADH. His potassium and sodium levels are very low.Chemo drugs can cause this . Anyhow he has been getting TPN feeding and every week when he gets his blood drawn she is noticing both levels are going down.So today she called the cancer center and they told her he has SIADH. Its a disorder where sod and pot and protein are not processed in the body. You would have to look it up to understand it. Your counts would become very low. Thank Goodness we have a good friend who is a pharmacist. He looked it up for me . Anyhow Vince was given a prescription for doxycycline. and this will regulate things so that these good minerals stay in the body. Vince has been so fatigued and loopy acting and It must be this. Ask your dr. about his levels. The Tpn nurse said that even tho every week he had added sod and pot and albumin in his feeding it made no difference at all as it was builing up in his body. That is prabably why his urine is smelling strong as the kidneys are not filtering right. I hope this helps and I hope the meds will help my husband

Barb