Enoxaparin blood thinner

Options
ArchTB
ArchTB Member Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
Hi everyone,

Tom had two rounds of chemo so far (cisplatin & irinotecan), and has been handling it more or less ok. However, few days ago he said that his legs been sort of painful. So this morning when we went to the hospital, we decided to check this out as well. And (of course!) the ultrasound detected deep vein thrombosis in his right leg. Basically, starting with he shot this morning, he will now be taking 2 shots of blood thinners a day for life.

We have not talked about this development with the oncologist yet, and probably won't be able to until Wednesday. Perhaps anyone here could give me at least a general idea what this could mean in our situation.

1. Does it mean our chemo mix would be changed or dosage reduced?

2. Is it going to affect the surgery? We were hoping so much for MIE.

3. Tom is taking enoxaparin, which is apparently a "low molecular weight heparin". I know heparin is good for killing cancer cells if a person has the right HER 2 gene. But what if the gene is not right? It won't make things worse, will it?

I would welcome any additional info, stories and experience you wish to share re: blood thinners. Is there anything we should be particularly concerned with? We were told to watch out for any bleeding and bruises.

Thanks!
Olya

Tom 37 yo
Stage III: T3 N1 M0

Comments

• ArchTB
    Options
    Also
    Something else just occurred to me: Tom's tumor was suspected to be bleeding (at least before he started the treatment) which caused anemia. He had a blood transfusion, iron IV, and 2 chemo treatments. His blood count is normal now. But I do not know whether it means that the tumor has stopped bleeding. He had no visible bleeding before and neither does he now.
    We called the oncologyst's office and left a message with the update. But no one called back yet. I am now worried whether I should give Tom another shot of the thinner or not.
  • nancyann3
    nancyann3 Member Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    ArchTB said:

Also
    Something else just occurred to me: Tom's tumor was suspected to be bleeding (at least before he started the treatment) which caused anemia. He had a blood transfusion, iron IV, and 2 chemo treatments. His blood count is normal now. But I do not know whether it means that the tumor has stopped bleeding. He had no visible bleeding before and neither does he now.
    We called the oncologyst's office and left a message with the update. But no one called back yet. I am now worried whether I should give Tom another shot of the thinner or not.

Arch
    I'm not sure I can help much, but wanted to tell you my hubbys experience. He also had DVT last June after first round of chemo. His broke off and he had multiple PE's to both lungs. Had no symptoms, it was found on CT scan. He now takes Arixtra inj once a day. So I am not familiar with your drug. The PE's were a factor in hubby not having surg. at that time.

We continued with chemo round two, then chemo round three and rad. It didn't seem to change the chemo. They still used cisplatin and 5fu. among others. Surgery is still a option if treatments kept everything in check.

Hubby does bruise easily and when you add the chemo and rad, I have always wondered if the arixtra doesn't enhance symptoms some, but no doctor has ever said that to me. We always keep in mind that bleeding can occur. We watch blood counts more closely. Its kind of like a catch 22 sometimes, but hubby said he would rather watch blood counts and get blood more often then worry about clots.

Like I said I'm not familiar with your drug being used. Ours is one that can be stopped if needed for a short time and then started again.

Sorry I couldn't help more
    Nancy
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Can Be a Side Effect of the Chemo
    I'm not a doctor or an expert in any of these matters, but my father had VERY similar complications after chemo.

From what I understand, chemo can cause clots. That happened in my father's case. He had one in each lung and one in his left leg. He was put on blood thinners as well. He also had other issues with the chemo affecting his bone morrow, so he had to stop that particular chemo, wait and then they gave him a different drug that supposedly wouldn't affect his system the same way.

He also had bleeding around his tumor sight twice. He received several transfussions. They should keep a close eye on Tom's Hemoglobin numbers. My dad recently got out of the hospital because of this very problem. He had 4 units of blood and they went in with a laser endescope to stop the bleeding. They were able to get most of it, but couldn't stop the bleeding completely. They took him off his blood thinners and but a filter in his leg in case there would be any small clot that may still be there. Hopefully, being off his blood thinners will stop the bleeding completely. In the mean time, they're just keeping a close eye on his blood work.

Not sure if this is of any help, but maybe knowing it happens to others is helpful? I don't think these particular issues are really common, but they certainly are a possible complication with receiving chemo.

Blessings,
    Sally
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • ArchTB
    Options
    nancyann3 said:

Arch
    I'm not sure I can help much, but wanted to tell you my hubbys experience. He also had DVT last June after first round of chemo. His broke off and he had multiple PE's to both lungs. Had no symptoms, it was found on CT scan. He now takes Arixtra inj once a day. So I am not familiar with your drug. The PE's were a factor in hubby not having surg. at that time.

We continued with chemo round two, then chemo round three and rad. It didn't seem to change the chemo. They still used cisplatin and 5fu. among others. Surgery is still a option if treatments kept everything in check.

Hubby does bruise easily and when you add the chemo and rad, I have always wondered if the arixtra doesn't enhance symptoms some, but no doctor has ever said that to me. We always keep in mind that bleeding can occur. We watch blood counts more closely. Its kind of like a catch 22 sometimes, but hubby said he would rather watch blood counts and get blood more often then worry about clots.

Like I said I'm not familiar with your drug being used. Ours is one that can be stopped if needed for a short time and then started again.

Sorry I couldn't help more
    Nancy

Thank you
    Thank you, Nancy. Was your husband also told to take the thinners for the rest of his life? It seems so strange that the doctors would not explain this risk in more detail before prescribing the chemo drug that has such a high risk of blood clots.

Olya
  • ArchTB
    Options
    sal314 said:

Can Be a Side Effect of the Chemo
    I'm not a doctor or an expert in any of these matters, but my father had VERY similar complications after chemo.

From what I understand, chemo can cause clots. That happened in my father's case. He had one in each lung and one in his left leg. He was put on blood thinners as well. He also had other issues with the chemo affecting his bone morrow, so he had to stop that particular chemo, wait and then they gave him a different drug that supposedly wouldn't affect his system the same way.

He also had bleeding around his tumor sight twice. He received several transfussions. They should keep a close eye on Tom's Hemoglobin numbers. My dad recently got out of the hospital because of this very problem. He had 4 units of blood and they went in with a laser endescope to stop the bleeding. They were able to get most of it, but couldn't stop the bleeding completely. They took him off his blood thinners and but a filter in his leg in case there would be any small clot that may still be there. Hopefully, being off his blood thinners will stop the bleeding completely. In the mean time, they're just keeping a close eye on his blood work.

Not sure if this is of any help, but maybe knowing it happens to others is helpful? I don't think these particular issues are really common, but they certainly are a possible complication with receiving chemo.

Blessings,
    Sally

Chemo Side Effect
    Hi Sally,
    I hope your dad is feeling better. How is his arm? maybe the pain was also related to the blood clots?
    Looks like we are following your trail. The doctor called us back today and said it is ok to take the thinners, but we have to report any suspecious changes in Tom's health and general being, including any changes in energy level.
    Thank you for your comment. Best wishes,

Olya
  • ArchTB
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

You are right!
    Rose, thanks. I did confuse heparin with herceptin. The doctors told us about various meds that could not be taken with blood thinners. I am going to contact our surgeon to check about the implications.
    Thank you

Olya
  • nancyann3
    nancyann3 Member Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    ArchTB said:

Thank you
    Thank you, Nancy. Was your husband also told to take the thinners for the rest of his life? It seems so strange that the doctors would not explain this risk in more detail before prescribing the chemo drug that has such a high risk of blood clots.

Olya

Hi again Arch
    Yes one doctor did tell us he would take the arixtra for the rest of his life, but I think that may change if surgery is done. So I dont hold that in stone.

The cause of hubbys clots could have been a combination of several things we were told. Cancer itself can put a person at higher risk. Chemo, dehydration and less active lifestyle can also increase risk. One thing I have learned with chemo, is its very important to stay hydrated. IV hydration inbetween treatments and during helps a lot. Chemo seems to just take the hydration right out of my husband. Cisplatin is tough on the kidneys so always a battle. If your hubby has radiation that dries them out too.

Nancy