Vaccinating boys with Gardasil

2»

Comments

• Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

I saw this on a news station the other day....

So glad that the subject is getting more and more attention....hopefully people like Michele Bachmann saw it as well, but then again.

CDC - MSNBC - Recommend Boys for HPV Vaccine

And again, a reference that;

An estimated 50 percent to 80 percent of men and women are infected with HPV in their lifestimes, although most clear the infection without developing symptoms or illness, according to the CDC.

"The Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices made the recommendation Tuesday in a unanimous vote. Federal health officials usually adopt what the panel says and asks doctors and patients to follow the recommendations."

JG

John
    One of these days I am going to grow-up and learn how to do that

╠╣ONDO
  • Bigfuzzydoug
    Bigfuzzydoug Member Posts: 154
    There's only ONE controversy about it...
    And that's that some people think it condones premarrital or teenage sex. The entire concept of vaccinating and protecting your children from a virus that can potentially cause cancer seems to have gotten lost in the political rhetoric.

My daughter os 10 and my son is 7. When each of them reaches probably 14, we're going to have "the talk" and they BOTH go and get Gardasil shots. Why would I even conceive of them going through the living hell that I did?!

I'm proud of you! GOOD DECISION! Your boys may very well thank you one day in the future!
  • Goalie
    Goalie Member Posts: 184

And that's that some people think it condones premarrital or teenage sex. The entire concept of vaccinating and protecting your children from a virus that can potentially cause cancer seems to have gotten lost in the political rhetoric.

My daughter os 10 and my son is 7. When each of them reaches probably 14, we're going to have "the talk" and they BOTH go and get Gardasil shots. Why would I even conceive of them going through the living hell that I did?!

I'm proud of you! GOOD DECISION! Your boys may very well thank you one day in the future!

Son got it this year
    Our girls, both now in college, got it years before when it became available. Perhaps it wouldn't be before some exposure but as long as it was before exposure to these particular strains, then we are hopeful it will have done good. Our son, who turned 14 this summer, has now gotten his first shot. We believe in the power of the science and have looked at the data which do not show any measurable relationship between the vaccine and problems, notwithstanding hysterical people at presidential debates.

I also take the opportunity to tell my teammates about this problem and write into the papers (Washington Post, etc) about it when appropriate. I would like to save not only my family but many other families from the radiation damage, the chemo, the endless days retching on the floor, the depression, the pain, all the things that we know so well.

Now, off to pick up the 14 yr old at Tae Kwon Do.

Doug
  • Skiffin16
    Skiffin16 Member Posts: 8,305 Member

Concur....
    Couldn't agree more...

JG
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557
    Skiffin16 said:

Concur....
    Couldn't agree more...

JG

They had all 3...
    ...no problems. Iangelica, both my boys had no issue with any of the shots and did not even question it, except to ask the doctor why they were his first. When I asked them what the doctor explained to them about why it was a good idea (privately) my oldest said the doctor said, "something, something, sex, blah, blah, something, something". That is pretty close to the actual quote. He was 16 at the time and the only word that registered in his brain was "sex". LOL. But I in no way thought it communicated anything to either one of them about permission to have sex. I also talk pretty openly with them about sex, that it's a good thing, better to wait a while, sex with emotional attachment is the best, and protection, protection, protection. I have absolutely NO regrets.
    Kim
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Kimba1505 said:

They had all 3...
    ...no problems. Iangelica, both my boys had no issue with any of the shots and did not even question it, except to ask the doctor why they were his first. When I asked them what the doctor explained to them about why it was a good idea (privately) my oldest said the doctor said, "something, something, sex, blah, blah, something, something". That is pretty close to the actual quote. He was 16 at the time and the only word that registered in his brain was "sex". LOL. But I in no way thought it communicated anything to either one of them about permission to have sex. I also talk pretty openly with them about sex, that it's a good thing, better to wait a while, sex with emotional attachment is the best, and protection, protection, protection. I have absolutely NO regrets.
    Kim

My niece went to college
    My niece went to college this September. I still cannot get through to my step mom, niece's guardian, why the vacination is so important. I talked to her a month ago about it, and sent her a couple of articles. I don't understand why she doesn't 'get it'.
  • Kimba1505
    Kimba1505 Member Posts: 557

My niece went to college
    My niece went to college this September. I still cannot get through to my step mom, niece's guardian, why the vacination is so important. I talked to her a month ago about it, and sent her a couple of articles. I don't understand why she doesn't 'get it'.

Age of consent
    Sweet,
    The age one can pursue one's own medical care is 14 in PA. If your niece wants this vaccination she should be able to pursue it on her own. I would also imagine the health facility on campus would either offer this vaccination, or have information where students can get it. At this point your niece should not need her guardian's consent.
    Love the new picture. Both of you look great!! :)
    Kim
  • Skiffin16
    Kimba1505 said:

Age of consent
    Sweet,
    The age one can pursue one's own medical care is 14 in PA. If your niece wants this vaccination she should be able to pursue it on her own. I would also imagine the health facility on campus would either offer this vaccination, or have information where students can get it. At this point your niece should not need her guardian's consent.
    Kim

Offering -vs- Cost
    I'm not really sure if it would be offered through a university health facility or not, my feelings are probably not. But I'm sure cost would be a factor. If I'm not mistaken the average cost is around $600 (3 injections/$200). Being a young student, I'm sure cost would be a factor.

Unfortunatley also I'm sure, most young people tend to feel they are invincible and things like this won't happen to them.

Another factor, it's very important to be the most effective to have the injections before any possibility of exposure.

Which from my understanding has not been completely defined..could be anything from sexual contact, to mere passionate kissing.

It's all scary, and scary times for this...especially considering the dormant nature of the virus.

Best,
    John
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Kimba1505 said:

Age of consent
    Sweet,
    Kim

Kim
    Thank you for telling me about the age of constent in PA, I didn't know about that. Yes, it is more a matter of getting it paid for. I could talk to her about it to persue it on her own or maybe to get her idiot father to pay for it. She is not currently working, she is a full time student right now. She came home this weekend. She has 3 out of 5 classes with A's. Other two are B's so far.

John, finding out if its available throuh the university health facility is a good idea too.
  • Skiffin16

Kim
    Thank you for telling me about the age of constent in PA, I didn't know about that. Yes, it is more a matter of getting it paid for. I could talk to her about it to persue it on her own or maybe to get her idiot father to pay for it. She is not currently working, she is a full time student right now. She came home this weekend. She has 3 out of 5 classes with A's. Other two are B's so far.

John, finding out if its available throuh the university health facility is a good idea too.

Kimba
    Kimba's idea from above... I doubt they would offer it, but you never know.

JG
  • DrMary
    DrMary Member Posts: 531 Member
    Skiffin16 said:

Kimba
    Kimba's idea from above... I doubt they would offer it, but you never know.

JG

too late?
    I've seen a few comments about being "too late" to get the vaccination. I haven't seen anything that says it causes harm, so why not get the vaccination even if there's a possibility you've been exposed (as in, started having sex already)? I'd hate to think a kid didn't get the shots just because she'd already started having sex.

I'd recommend a 21-year-old who has not already shown signs of having been exposed to HPV (like abnormal cervix cells) to get the shots. Our BC/BS now pays both for boys and girls (we had to call and check a few months back, as it was not yet on their list of benefits for boys).

Obviously, the sooner the better, for the shots, but I'm not sure we should be jumping to the "too late" conclusion. . . .
  • Skiffin16
    DrMary said:

too late?
    I've seen a few comments about being "too late" to get the vaccination. I haven't seen anything that says it causes harm, so why not get the vaccination even if there's a possibility you've been exposed (as in, started having sex already)? I'd hate to think a kid didn't get the shots just because she'd already started having sex.

I'd recommend a 21-year-old who has not already shown signs of having been exposed to HPV (like abnormal cervix cells) to get the shots. Our BC/BS now pays both for boys and girls (we had to call and check a few months back, as it was not yet on their list of benefits for boys).

Obviously, the sooner the better, for the shots, but I'm not sure we should be jumping to the "too late" conclusion. . . .

Too Late Conclusion...
    I must have missed something in the above posts... Unless you are talking about comments from another source.

I don't see any reference stating it is too late. I do see one question asking if it might be too late?

I have seen several media/website statements from medical doctors, medical professionals and health organizations saying the same as mentioned above, that for the injections to be most effective the sooner before sexual activity the better the chances on minimizing the possibility of infection.

Specifically between the ages of 9 - 26 and non-sexually active to benefit the most.

As mentione above and by yourself, those that have been sexually active may still benefit from the injections.

But even with all of that, like everything else, there are no guarantees that a person still will not become infected.

Best,
    John