Options
2»

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Books, books, wonderful books
    I can recommend The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie ("An enthralling mystery, a piercing depiction of class and society, The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie is a masterfully told tale of deceptions—and a rich literary delight.") Also, the Housekeeper and the Professor by Ono. "This is a delicate, unhurried story about the friendship that develops between a brain-injured mathematician and a woman who comes every day to prepare his meals. None of the characters is ever named. Nothing romantic or even dramatic ever happens. And there is a lot of conversation about math. Can you hear the marketing team in New York starting to cry ? And yet The Housekeeper and the Professor is strangely charming, flecked with enough wit and mystery to keep us engaged throughout." - Ron Charles, The Washington Post. Finally I also enjoyed The Elegance of the Hedgehog; engaging, but imperfect, and you have to be in the mood for some philosophy.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and The Elegance of the Hedgehog, but haven't read either The Professor or The Housekeeper.

Oh, and FYI everyone--The Way the Crow Flies is not so light. It is getting darker and sadder every day. But I am determined to finish it now. But do not pick it up if you are looking for something upbeat.
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie and The Elegance of the Hedgehog, but haven't read either The Professor or The Housekeeper.

Oh, and FYI everyone--The Way the Crow Flies is not so light. It is getting darker and sadder every day. But I am determined to finish it now. But do not pick it up if you are looking for something upbeat.

It's the Housekeeper and the
    It's the Housekeeper and the Professor...one book : ) I also like Jhumpta Lahiri - The Inheritance of Loss, the NameSake, Interpreter of Maladies. A bit heavier, but such good reading. Gentlemen of the Road, by Michael Chabon is also good...a swashbuckler.
  • rainbow4
    rainbow4 Member Posts: 137
    Options
    Great!
    I love all these recommendations. I keep a notebook of what I've read and what I want to look for, take it along every time I head for the library (otherwise I can't remember what I've read by author xyz, or want to!). An author I've really been enjoying lately, for you mystery readers, is Dana Stabenow. She writes two different series, both based in Alaska. There's a little romance thrown in here and there, but more investigation and mystery. Location names and individuals will keep you thinking, too. Some of the titles:
    A Night Too Dark
    A Deeper Sleep
    A Cold Day for Murder
    A Fine and Bitter Snow
    etc.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    rainbow4 said:

Great!
    I love all these recommendations. I keep a notebook of what I've read and what I want to look for, take it along every time I head for the library (otherwise I can't remember what I've read by author xyz, or want to!). An author I've really been enjoying lately, for you mystery readers, is Dana Stabenow. She writes two different series, both based in Alaska. There's a little romance thrown in here and there, but more investigation and mystery. Location names and individuals will keep you thinking, too. Some of the titles:
    A Night Too Dark
    A Deeper Sleep
    A Cold Day for Murder
    A Fine and Bitter Snow
    etc.

Super good book~
    just finished a couple weeks ago, called "The Help".
    Set in the 1960's in the South, subject matter is civil rights. Delves into the relationships of white women, and the black women who serve them as maids. It is touching, moving, some parts just make you angry at what behavior some people display. In the end, very powerful.
    I loved it~
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

Super good book~
    Set in the 1960's in the South, subject matter is civil rights. Delves into the relationships of white women, and the black women who serve them as maids. It is touching, moving, some parts just make you angry at what behavior some people display. In the end, very powerful.
    I loved it~

GreeneyedGirl - That sounds very interesting
    I will put that one on my list.

It's right up my alley.

Thanks for the recommendation.
    Ayse
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    Options
    concentrate on any I've looked at. Some good suggestions here. I'll hit the library Wednesday. One of the best books I ever read (a few years ago) was 'Miss Ophelia' by Mary Burnett Smith. I might just reread it to get going again. Also, I'm a sucker for Sue Grafton's alphabet series - but it takes so long for the next one.

Sue
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Options

Super good book~
    I loved it~

GreeneyedGirl
    I was going to recommend "The Help" also - I loved it! I've loaned it to all of my friends; it is very moving and powerful. It was on the NYTimes Bestseller List for many weeks - deservedly so.
    Linda
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    linpsu said:

GreeneyedGirl
    I was going to recommend "The Help" also - I loved it! I've loaned it to all of my friends; it is very moving and powerful. It was on the NYTimes Bestseller List for many weeks - deservedly so.
    Linda

I've read "The Help" and
    I've read "The Help" and loved it too. Very good book!

Jan
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    sbmly53 said:

concentrate on any I've looked at. Some good suggestions here. I'll hit the library Wednesday. One of the best books I ever read (a few years ago) was 'Miss Ophelia' by Mary Burnett Smith. I might just reread it to get going again. Also, I'm a sucker for Sue Grafton's alphabet series - but it takes so long for the next one.

Sue

The Help~
    ~was a loaner to me from a girlfriend, and it sat on my "fainting couch" at the end of my bed for weeks. Finally, I picked it up...and could not put it down.
    Melanie~
    **another book the same friend gave me to read was "one thousand white women" set in the midwest 1850's and is the story of white women who were given to the Indian Tribes as brides. It is historical fiction. Another good book that was hard to put down.
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options

Super good book~
    I loved it~

I have "The Help". A
    I have "The Help". A girlfriend gave it to me and said I would really like it. Looks like I need to read it now.

Like this post Cynthia, thanks.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options

The Help~
    ~was a loaner to me from a girlfriend, and it sat on my "fainting couch" at the end of my bed for weeks. Finally, I picked it up...and could not put it down.
    Melanie~
    **another book the same friend gave me to read was "one thousand white women" set in the midwest 1850's and is the story of white women who were given to the Indian Tribes as brides. It is historical fiction. Another good book that was hard to put down.

How about a book exchange???
    Anyone who has The Help would like to exchange a book with me?

Tell me what you like and I can tell you what I got.. =)

Hugs,
    Ayse