how long after dancing with Ned do you get another PET scan

Options
azgrandma
azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
it has been 7 months since I was dancing with Ned,how long do they wait to give you your second PET scan?

When do they remove the port also

Comments

• nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    guessing
    I would suspect you'd get a scan every 6 months as long as their is no crazy jump in the ca125. I believe my cancer center does scans every 6 months for the first 2 years. ca125 I think is done every 3 months for the first 2 years.
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    I had a CT scan in Mar of
    I had a CT scan in Mar of 2010 and was officially NED thereafter. I just had the second one this week, although I wasn't scheduled until Feb - the end of the Taxol maintenance. I think my doctor does them every six months, once you are out of treatment.

Some women leave the port in for a year, in case they recur. When my port eroded thru the skin I had just a few maintenance treatments to go and was given the option of doing them via regular IV, but I elected to have a new port placed instead. My last dose of Taxol is this month and even though I am still NED, I am going to leave the port in for another year, if that suits my doctor.

Carlene
  • zinaida
    zinaida Member Posts: 221
    Options

I had a CT scan in Mar of
    I had a CT scan in Mar of 2010 and was officially NED thereafter. I just had the second one this week, although I wasn't scheduled until Feb - the end of the Taxol maintenance. I think my doctor does them every six months, once you are out of treatment.

Some women leave the port in for a year, in case they recur. When my port eroded thru the skin I had just a few maintenance treatments to go and was given the option of doing them via regular IV, but I elected to have a new port placed instead. My last dose of Taxol is this month and even though I am still NED, I am going to leave the port in for another year, if that suits my doctor.

Carlene

I read some where, was
    I read some where, was recomendation not to do CT scan so often, because it is could be more harm then benefits, only do it if necessary. My doc. do it only if CA125 rising, or follow up after 3 chemo treatments.(((HUGS))), Zina
  • South Jersey
    South Jersey Member Posts: 89
    Options
    zinaida said:

I read some where, was
    I read some where, was recomendation not to do CT scan so often, because it is could be more harm then benefits, only do it if necessary. My doc. do it only if CA125 rising, or follow up after 3 chemo treatments.(((HUGS))), Zina

My doctor does not do a CT
    My doctor does not do a CT scan unless there is a rise in the CA125, symptoms or something found during an exam... it does make me uneasy not knowing what is going on inside.
  • pattysoo
    pattysoo Member Posts: 170
    Options
    How often to scan?
    I had a talk about this w/my gyn-onco just this past week. He told me that until there is a significant rise in CA125, there's no point in doing a scan. The cancer is often widespread, not consolidated into tumors that the scan can detect, so there's no point in exposing oneself to the radiation of a scan when you're likely to learn nothing significant. He also said markers tend to rise slowly and steadily and then take a big jump. Deciding when to treat is debatable also. So, as always, I received ambiguous answers, not because he's indecisive, but because this disease is just not well-enough understood. Grrrrr Hope I stay NED for a long time.
  • azgrandma
    azgrandma Member Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    pattysoo said:

How often to scan?
    I had a talk about this w/my gyn-onco just this past week. He told me that until there is a significant rise in CA125, there's no point in doing a scan. The cancer is often widespread, not consolidated into tumors that the scan can detect, so there's no point in exposing oneself to the radiation of a scan when you're likely to learn nothing significant. He also said markers tend to rise slowly and steadily and then take a big jump. Deciding when to treat is debatable also. So, as always, I received ambiguous answers, not because he's indecisive, but because this disease is just not well-enough understood. Grrrrr Hope I stay NED for a long time.

thanks
    thank you was wondering
    i go every three months for a checkup but nothing has been said about another pet scan
  • sitchy57
    sitchy57 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    zinaida said:

I read some where, was

Ca125
    I can't use the CA125 as a marker because when I had all 3 cancers it registered normal. The number was excellent.