Onco/Gyno

Options
GowNY
GowNY Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
I know you are supposed to see your oncologist/gyno for 5 years after your diagnosis but I would really like to switch to a regular gyno soon. I was diagnosed with cancer in November 09. My onco/gyno did my surgery. He doesn't take my insurance and would like to get a "regular" exam :-/. Does anybody see a regular gyno?? Thanks!

Comments

• poopergirl14052
    poopergirl14052 Member Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Find another
    it is my understanding you will need to continue to see a gyno/oncologist for your exams with your hx of ovca. Ask him for another md or call your insurance carrier. It is a shame you have to switch as he already knows you and you history. I would definately find someone else. good luck and keep us posted
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Personally, I would not take
    Personally, I would not take the chance. Many of us had exams by gynos just weeks before our OC was diagnosed and they either found no cause for concern, or misdiagnosed us.

I was diagnosed in Sept of 09 - just a couple of months before you. I was stage IIIc and would not consider, even for a moment, trading my gyn/oncologist for a "regular" OB/Gyn.

Even if your cancer was caught very early, I don't think you can say for sure that you are completely risk free after only 14 months. Ovarian Cancer is insidious. It recurs in a large percentage of cases.

Carlene
  • GowNY
    Options

Personally, I would not take
    Personally, I would not take the chance. Many of us had exams by gynos just weeks before our OC was diagnosed and they either found no cause for concern, or misdiagnosed us.

I was diagnosed in Sept of 09 - just a couple of months before you. I was stage IIIc and would not consider, even for a moment, trading my gyn/oncologist for a "regular" OB/Gyn.

Even if your cancer was caught very early, I don't think you can say for sure that you are completely risk free after only 14 months. Ovarian Cancer is insidious. It recurs in a large percentage of cases.

Carlene

OK...I will probably stick
    OK...I will probably stick with the gyn/onco then. I had a complete hysterectomy when my tumor was removed though so it coming back hopefully isn't as likely :-/ Thanks!
  • Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    GowNY said:

OK...I will probably stick with the gyn/onco then. I had a complete hysterectomy when my tumor was removed though so it coming back hopefully isn't as likely :-/ Thanks!

another gyn/onc
    Can't you find another gyn/onc in your area that takes your insurance ? Do you get your ca125 tested ?
    Colleen
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    GowNY said:

OVCA
    Were you diagnosed with ovarian cancer? Do you know what stage you were diagnosed at? Ovarian cancer definately can come back after total hysterectomy. Actually, the odds are that it WILL come back, especially if you were diagnosed at a late stage. What type of follow up do you have now?

Right now I have ovarian cancer cells growing on my colon. I do not have colon cancer.
  • clamryn
    clamryn Member Posts: 508
    Options
    GowNY said:

It can come back
    OVCA can come back. I was diagnosed with stage 1C in 1991 and had a total hysterectomy. I went 17 years and it came back. And it is from the original cancer.

I would stay with your gyn/onco. He knows you and your history.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Linda
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    GowNY said:

I don't want to frighten
    I don't want to frighten you, but ovarian cancer comes back more often than not, even in women who have had complete hysterectomies. You do not need ovaries to get ovarian cancer, or to have a recurrence. I know that sounds odd, but it is the truth.

Carlene
  • GowNY
    Options
    nancy591 said:

OVCA
    Were you diagnosed with ovarian cancer? Do you know what stage you were diagnosed at? Ovarian cancer definately can come back after total hysterectomy. Actually, the odds are that it WILL come back, especially if you were diagnosed at a late stage. What type of follow up do you have now?

Right now I have ovarian cancer cells growing on my colon. I do not have colon cancer.

I was told a new
    I was told a new gyno/oncologist might not want to take me because I didn't start with them or have my surgery with them. My g/o won't take anybody new. Well, I'll stick with him at least for now. That is very scary that ovarian cancer came back 17 years later. What stage were you and what kind of ovarian cancer did you have?

Yes- I had clear cell carcinoma in my right ovary (hysterectome Nov. 09). I was stage 1a and had 6 sessions of taxol/carbo. I've been going to my oncologist every 4 months and my gyno/onco every 3 months and I even see my primary doc every few months. I've had 4 petscans too. Do you know the statistics of people having ovarian cancer again?

ovca--i am so sorry about your colon.