I am port-less

Options
2»

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options
    Donna
    that's great news! I had my port removed Tuesday as an outpatient procedure. I'm a little sore and just started having rads on the right side. But, it's one more step in the right direction.....
    {{hugs}} Char
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    VickiSam said:

Donna .. Yes, you are correct ... a big hurdle behind
    you .. getting back to normal. . . How are you enjoying your retirement? You look great -- picture wise ..

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam

Port
    Hey Donna, I'm so glad for you, portless and "jobless" lol. Have a wonderful time traveling around.
    Sher
  • AMD1083
    AMD1083 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thats awesome!
    I hipe 2011

Thats awesome!
    I hipe 2011 brings you much joy and happiness
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    tgf said:

I'm chicken
    I haven't been "de-ported" yet. I'm chicken. Not because I'm afraid of the actual procedure ... but I'm afraid that not long after I have it removed "they" will find something new someplace and I'll need to have one put back in. I know that sounds stupid ... but I have told myself that after my next diagnositic mammogram in April ... if everything shows up fine ... then I'll have my port removed. If I don't give myself a deadline ... I'd probably keep it forever since I can't stand the thought of being poked in the arm for blood draws etc.

hugs.
    teena

Teena,
    I think it must be a

Teena,
    I think it must be a bit of a security blanket to have the port still in. I can see how your mind can conjure up a image of the cancer returning the minute it is out. But it good that you have set a date for its removal. Maybe if you tell yourself that you will be getting rid of a visual reminder that your had cancer instead of letting your mind tell you that if it goes they will find something. Replace one image with another. Hope that idea helps you. Besides you are a flamingo, not a chicken or else I don't know my birds. LOL
    Stef
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Good for you Donna. You can
    Good for you Donna. You can put up one of those road signs, No Access there now. It's good to move forward.
    Stef
  • JuJu54
    JuJu54 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    WOO HOO!
    Good for you! I have mine till July when I finish my Herceptin. Hopefully the last hurdle completed!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    fauxma said:

Good for you Donna. You can
    Good for you Donna. You can put up one of those road signs, No Access there now. It's good to move forward.
    Stef

Deported!
    Congrats Donna!

Jan
  • susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Options
    mimivac said:

chicken
    Teena, I was chicken too, for the same reasons you mention. At the urging of my oncologist I got my port out about a month after radiation ended. It needs to be serviced (flushed out) if you keep it in, so it's a good idea to get rid of it. Good luck on taking the plunge!

Mimi

Good news Donna!
    Good news Donna! Congratulations!
  • EllenaMaria
    EllenaMaria Member Posts: 69
    Options
    JuJu54 said:

WOO HOO!
    Good for you! I have mine till July when I finish my Herceptin. Hopefully the last hurdle completed!

Congrats!
    Donna, congrats on getting that thing out. The sooner the better.

Teena, I too feared the removal. I wanted to be under sedation but my husband kept telling me it was no big deal at all, nothing like having it put in. He said they give you some lidocaine at the site, open up the original incision and it just slides out. He takes out dialysis port/thingys all the time. I was soooooo stressed. I had same doc who put it in take it out. I told him my fears and he told me that if at any time during the procedure I can't take it they could actually use the port to do the conscience sedation. I agreed to let him start. I feel so silly now. I barely felt the prick of the needle. I told him he had to tell my husband it was horrible and that I was brave when he saw him after the procedure. Doc laughed. I can't lie to my hubby, I confessed how right he was as soon as I saw him.

I do understand your fears but medically it is best to have anything foreign out of your body as soon as possible, unless you still need it. I must admit I do miss having it for blood draws cause I hate needles. April is not far away.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

YEA!!!!
    I did not have one for chemo but I know it is a great thing to get rid of it!! So happy for you. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Port-less is good! Congrats!

Port-less is good! Congrats!
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    Options
    Jean 0609 said:

Yay Donna!
    Lucky you, I have mine until June when I finish my herceptin.

How is retirement?

xoxo,
    Jean

Yippee Donna!
    Yippee Donna!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

Congrats!

Teena, I too feared the removal. I wanted to be under sedation but my husband kept telling me it was no big deal at all, nothing like having it put in. He said they give you some lidocaine at the site, open up the original incision and it just slides out. He takes out dialysis port/thingys all the time. I was soooooo stressed. I had same doc who put it in take it out. I told him my fears and he told me that if at any time during the procedure I can't take it they could actually use the port to do the conscience sedation. I agreed to let him start. I feel so silly now. I barely felt the prick of the needle. I told him he had to tell my husband it was horrible and that I was brave when he saw him after the procedure. Doc laughed. I can't lie to my hubby, I confessed how right he was as soon as I saw him.

I do understand your fears but medically it is best to have anything foreign out of your body as soon as possible, unless you still need it. I must admit I do miss having it for blood draws cause I hate needles. April is not far away.

Congrats Donna! Absolutely
    Congrats Donna! Absolutely thrilled for you!

Lex
  • Alexis F
    Options

Congrats!

sorry
    double post
  • Alexis F
    Options

Congrats!

sorry again
    This post was so great that I posted it 3 times! LOL Darn site :(
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    new2me said:

So Happy for you :):)
    I have to continue with herceptin until June - than mine comes out too. :)
    Your hair looks good. You are my goal!!

Kelly

Great! Congrats Donna!
    Great! Congrats Donna!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

Thanks all for the comments.
    Thanks all for the comments. I too was a little apprehensive about getting mine out but knew I had to have it done.

Retirement is wonderful. Someone asked me the other day if I missed work and I had had to tell them absolutely not. When I am traveling on the same road I used to take to work, I do think about it for about a minute but then I am over it.

Hugs

Donna

Glad you are enjoying your
    Glad you are enjoying your retirement!

Kylez
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Options
    Sher43009 said:

Port
    Hey Donna, I'm so glad for you, portless and "jobless" lol. Have a wonderful time traveling around.
    Sher

Congrats on having your port
    Congrats on having your port removed Donna and glad you are enjoying retirement.