Linda, thinking of you today!

Options
nancy591
nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hope everything goes well with your onc visit. Hope the platelets are high enough for chemo tomorrow.

Comments

• hopeful girl 1
    hopeful girl 1 Member Posts: 454
    Options
    Thinking of Linda also
    Linda,

I am thinking of you also. And hope that CA125 number straightens back out and was an error due to the national testing issue.

Hugs,
    Cindy
  • clamryn
    clamryn Member Posts: 508
    Options
    Hoping for you too
    Linda, I am hoping and praying that everything goes well today too.

Linda
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    will be checking back
    to hear how your onc appt. went.
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Mwee said:

will be checking back
    to hear how your onc appt. went.
    (((HUGS))) Maria

Thanks so much for the posts; means a lot to me!
    GOOD NEWS TODAY! I was finally able to get carboplatin chemo this afternoon (after being turned away the last 2 weeks due to low platelets)! My platelets were just high enough to ‘make the cut’ . My positive segs (the immunity part of white blood count) were actually lower than the ‘go-chemo’ threshold, but I was allowed to get the chemo anyway at the fractionated 1/3 strength dose and I will come in Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday for Nuepogen shots to bring that up. So we scheduled out the next 2 weeks: Nuepogen shots every M, T, & W; and then labs & consultation & chemo at 1/3 strength every Thursday. Of course, that’s all dependent on me being able to keep my platelets at safe levels, but I am optimistic that I’m past that now. So Vic and I were both happy that I’m still strong enough to battle on.

I had another CA125 drawn today and won't get that until tomorrow or next week. Today's pre-chemo labs will give a slightly truer picture of what the 2 week delay might have meant. Regarding the one-week 100-point jump in my CA125, my oncologist just said "we'll keep an eye on it". I know that as long as I am getting chemo, I am doing all I can about it. He also said "Sometimes cancer cells let off CA125 protein as they die and the rise in the number reflects that, so let's assume that's what happened and that the carboplatin is working." He didn't look too confident in that theory, but I'll go along with that idea anyway as there is no advantage in imaging the worst.

Isn't it wierd how happy cancer patients are to get chemo after we've been denied it a couple of times? We equate it with hope and life, I guess. Going over there 4 days a week is a regular interruption in my life, but I will try and combine the Nuepogen-shot-visits with lunches with friends and shopping and other treats and it will get me out of the house during this snowy winter. (I tend to hibernate in January & February).

I just woke up from my pre-chemo benedryl-induced nap, and will probably be up all night now from the pre-chemo steroids that seem to kick in as soon as the benedryl wears off. That's the excuse for the long post: yak yak yak from the steroids! HA!
  • nancy591
    Options

GOOD NEWS TODAY! I was finally able to get carboplatin chemo this afternoon (after being turned away the last 2 weeks due to low platelets)! My platelets were just high enough to ‘make the cut’ . My positive segs (the immunity part of white blood count) were actually lower than the ‘go-chemo’ threshold, but I was allowed to get the chemo anyway at the fractionated 1/3 strength dose and I will come in Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday for Nuepogen shots to bring that up. So we scheduled out the next 2 weeks: Nuepogen shots every M, T, & W; and then labs & consultation & chemo at 1/3 strength every Thursday. Of course, that’s all dependent on me being able to keep my platelets at safe levels, but I am optimistic that I’m past that now. So Vic and I were both happy that I’m still strong enough to battle on.

I had another CA125 drawn today and won't get that until tomorrow or next week. Today's pre-chemo labs will give a slightly truer picture of what the 2 week delay might have meant. Regarding the one-week 100-point jump in my CA125, my oncologist just said "we'll keep an eye on it". I know that as long as I am getting chemo, I am doing all I can about it. He also said "Sometimes cancer cells let off CA125 protein as they die and the rise in the number reflects that, so let's assume that's what happened and that the carboplatin is working." He didn't look too confident in that theory, but I'll go along with that idea anyway as there is no advantage in imaging the worst.

Isn't it wierd how happy cancer patients are to get chemo after we've been denied it a couple of times? We equate it with hope and life, I guess. Going over there 4 days a week is a regular interruption in my life, but I will try and combine the Nuepogen-shot-visits with lunches with friends and shopping and other treats and it will get me out of the house during this snowy winter. (I tend to hibernate in January & February).

I just woke up from my pre-chemo benedryl-induced nap, and will probably be up all night now from the pre-chemo steroids that seem to kick in as soon as the benedryl wears off. That's the excuse for the long post: yak yak yak from the steroids! HA!

yea for you!
    Glad you were able to get chemo today. Yes, I know the feeling of WANTING chemo. Are you able to give yourself the injections? I do, it saves on so much travel time!

Happy for you. Now lets hope that ca125 is lower!
  • lindaprocopio
    lindaprocopio Member Posts: 1,980
    Options
    nancy591 said:

yea for you!
    Glad you were able to get chemo today. Yes, I know the feeling of WANTING chemo. Are you able to give yourself the injections? I do, it saves on so much travel time!

Happy for you. Now lets hope that ca125 is lower!

My insurance only pays Nuepogen if clinic-administered.
    My insurance is screwy. They will only pay for Nuepogen or Nuelasta if I get the shots administered by an RN. It costs them an extra $800 per shot for that 15 seconds of expertise. (Do they think I'm going to fill the prescription and sell it on the streets to desparate uninsured cancer victims??!) It's only a 17-mile trip to the clinic (each way) but is an interruption 3 days a week in anything I'm trying to get done. But I usually go with girlfriends for my shots and we play along the way, so I make it fun.

To answer your question in an earlier post: I live about an hour further west of Scranton in the sticks of Pennsylvania. I love my country home and have a huge perennial garden that has been written up twice in Organic Garden Magazine. I LOVE this earth and I want to STAY here! I have been so incredibly blessed in my life; that really helps me make my peace with this journey. But, at-peace or not, I'm sure not ready yet to stop battling! And I'm so happy tonight that I still have that option for a while longer.
  • nancy591
    Options

My insurance only pays Nuepogen if clinic-administered.
    My insurance is screwy. They will only pay for Nuepogen or Nuelasta if I get the shots administered by an RN. It costs them an extra $800 per shot for that 15 seconds of expertise. (Do they think I'm going to fill the prescription and sell it on the streets to desparate uninsured cancer victims??!) It's only a 17-mile trip to the clinic (each way) but is an interruption 3 days a week in anything I'm trying to get done. But I usually go with girlfriends for my shots and we play along the way, so I make it fun.

To answer your question in an earlier post: I live about an hour further west of Scranton in the sticks of Pennsylvania. I love my country home and have a huge perennial garden that has been written up twice in Organic Garden Magazine. I LOVE this earth and I want to STAY here! I have been so incredibly blessed in my life; that really helps me make my peace with this journey. But, at-peace or not, I'm sure not ready yet to stop battling! And I'm so happy tonight that I still have that option for a while longer.

Scranton
    I was wondering what your closest NY border is? I live close to Honesdale, PA. I was thinking if you we weren't too far from each other maybe we could meet up one day and do lunch or something.

This past spring/summer was my first attempt with doing a flower garden. I am a NYC girl at heart with no experience in gardening at all. Boy, it IS a lot of work. I had new flower beds built around my house. They were lovely but costs LOTS of money to fill. I mixed ever greens, annuals and perennials.
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options

Great news,
    Linda! I'm so happy for you. Praying that the carbo works soon!
    Hugs,
    kathleen
  • childofthestars
    childofthestars Member Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Wishing you all the best
    I would just like to wish you all the luck in the world.
    Mx
  • vj1
    vj1 Member Posts: 150
    Options
    nancy591 said:

Scranton
    I was wondering what your closest NY border is? I live close to Honesdale, PA. I was thinking if you we weren't too far from each other maybe we could meet up one day and do lunch or something.

This past spring/summer was my first attempt with doing a flower garden. I am a NYC girl at heart with no experience in gardening at all. Boy, it IS a lot of work. I had new flower beds built around my house. They were lovely but costs LOTS of money to fill. I mixed ever greens, annuals and perennials.

Honesdale and Scranton
    Don't mean to butt in but I too live in the nearby area of Pa. I am in Pocono Lake from May to Nov. My Dr is in Allentown Pa (an hour from me)Where do you take your treatments? Maybe someday our paths will cross. will stay in communication thru these posts. I admire your fortitude and pray 2011 is good for you both.

Verna
  • clamryn
    clamryn Member Posts: 508
    Options

Yayyy
    So glad that you were able to start on the chemo again. I know exactly what you mean when you said it is wierd how happy we are to be able to get the chemo after not having it for a while and all along knowing you need it.
    I loved your last paragraph about benedryl-induced nap and then getting the steriods. The day after my chemo... I am like "roadrunner" and I am all over cleaning and doing everything I can think of. So I take advantage of those days. Then the fatigue hits and I am down for the count. It really is kind of funny.

I love your posts. And I am so excited for your good news. Now we need to get that CA125 of yours down, down, down.

Hugs to you Linda
    From another Linda