no insurnace

Options
j2twin
j2twin Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Any suggestions my sister-in-law has lung cancer onc. said without insurnace he would not do chemo. I know she applied for medicare and disability. I told her to call American cancer society. I forgot the name but is non-small.

Comments

• soccerfreaks
    soccerfreaks Member Posts: 2,788 Member
    Options
    Here is a small list of possible resources; hope you find help somewhere:

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Support/financial-resources

This site is put up by the National Institute of Health or some such, and is government-supported.

Cancer Care, a non-profit org., offers free support and counseling for cancer patients by oncology social workers. They have face-to-face counseling and counceling on the phone. Support groups on the phone are available too and are moderated by an oncology social worker. Call 800-813-HOPE. They can also give you info about financial resources. Check their website: www.cancercare.org

Gilda's Club - www.gildasclub.org - they offer free social and emotional support. Not sure if they may have financial information but check it out just in case.

Live Strong - www.livestrong.org - offers one-on-one support.

American Cancer Society (here) can also give you financial, support, etc. information available in different cities.

Take care,

Joe
  • DEN1964
    DEN1964 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    NO INSUR.
    Hospitals can't refuse you no matter what the illness ! Have her find a cancer center thats owned by a hospital ,,ask her dr he may be able to point her in the right direction. Have her apply for medicaid if shes under 65 ,medicare is for seniors .
  • frankie310
    frankie310 Member Posts: 17
    Options
    How old is she ? If she is
    How old is she ? If she is over 65 call your local office of the aging they helped us. Also we are from NY and we signed her up for epic of NY they helped with prescriptions that she needed right away. Good luck I know in urgent situations medicare paperwork can be rushed .If you dont get anywhere call the dept. of human rights and services in your area. Best Wishes Jean