One Step Closer

Options
Hissy_Fitz
Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
The scheduling nurse from MSK called me this morning and confirmed my appointment on Jan 19th. She gave a a list of things I need to bring/send: the glass slides from the hospital's pathology dept, taken during my initial surgery, and a CD with my CT films from last March. They also want me to have a new CT scan done before I get there, if possible, and I have my doctor's office working on that. If there isn't time they will do one in NYC, but that will lengthen my stay (at $200 per night at the Marriott, or we can stay in CT with my stepson, for free. I just hate to inconvenience them; they have 4 kids.)

So....I guess I will be shopping for some snow boots this week.

Carlene

Comments

• jloe
    jloe Member Posts: 174
    Options
    That's great!
    Snow boots this week for sure. 6-8 Tuesday night and in the teens. This is great news that you will have the appointment. I have a great CT/PET scan place on 84th between 3rd & Lexington unless you are doing that at MSK. They will have the CD and report the next day for you to pick up and bring with you to your appointment. I just dropped off my slides last week. Keep in touch!!!
  • Lisa13Q
    Lisa13Q Member Posts: 677
    Options
    Stay at the Marriott
    Hi Carlene,

Congratulations on your appt'. I'm sorry I won't be there to meet you, but the fewer times I go into MSKCC the better....I have begun to develop a phobia to the 6th floor. I would suggest that it's worth staying in the city. First off, driving in and out of NYC can be a nightmare for those of us who know the city. If you're not familiar with it, well that's tough going, and if there's snow, forget it. Driving in the city can be quite a challenge. Secondly, parking can also be tough and VERY expensive. If you take a train into Grand central, you'll still have to take a taxi up to MSKCC and back, so that I think if it were me, I'd stay in the city. Also, NYC has some amazing sights and you're close enough to everything where you are to have a nice time of it. My 2 cents for what it's worth. If you do drive, park in the parking lot next to the facility. You have to pay, but the parking lot MSK validates for is a hike and cold....we generally just want to get the heck out of there when we're done and it's quite convenient. Good Luck and God Speed...
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Snow boots, hat and mittens
    We've been in a cold spell in the northeast, with an unusual amount of snow, so I say stay at the Marriott and make it easy on yourself. I'll be so interested to hear about your whole experience at MSK.
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Mwee said:

Snow boots, hat and mittens
    We've been in a cold spell in the northeast, with an unusual amount of snow, so I say stay at the Marriott and make it easy on yourself. I'll be so interested to hear about your whole experience at MSK.
    (((HUGS))) Maria

Thanks for all the good
    Thanks for all the good advice! Lisa, I am supposed to report to the 3rd floor. Any clue what dept that is?

Dr Sabbatini's nurse told me about the Marriott and I did check it out. It's $200 a night, however. Yikes!

I think this first trip we are going to try and do a turn-around: take the first flight out of DFW and the next-to-last out of LGA, same day. On subsequent trips we may stay at the Marriott, or with my stepson and his family in CT. They are an hour's drive from Manhattan and have offered to pick us up and provide food and shelter for however long we want to hang out.

The first two treatments are 2 weeks apart, I think. Or it could be one week. I made some notes but, of course, now I can't find them. I know she said there is a 3-4 week break and a 12 week break. I will try and call Diane again and get some more info, or get the same info a second time.

I picked up the CD of my scan today and have to go back tomorrow for the slides. No call back from my local doc's office about getting a scan done here in the next few days.

Carlene
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Thanks for all the good
    Thanks for all the good advice! Lisa, I am supposed to report to the 3rd floor. Any clue what dept that is?

Dr Sabbatini's nurse told me about the Marriott and I did check it out. It's $200 a night, however. Yikes!

I think this first trip we are going to try and do a turn-around: take the first flight out of DFW and the next-to-last out of LGA, same day. On subsequent trips we may stay at the Marriott, or with my stepson and his family in CT. They are an hour's drive from Manhattan and have offered to pick us up and provide food and shelter for however long we want to hang out.

The first two treatments are 2 weeks apart, I think. Or it could be one week. I made some notes but, of course, now I can't find them. I know she said there is a 3-4 week break and a 12 week break. I will try and call Diane again and get some more info, or get the same info a second time.

I picked up the CD of my scan today and have to go back tomorrow for the slides. No call back from my local doc's office about getting a scan done here in the next few days.

Carlene

53rd St
    Carlene,

Very exciting! The 53rd st location is not the main hospital but one of many outpatient centers. I agree with Lisa, park next door. It IS more costly but worth the convience. Or, if the hotel is within walking distance walk there. NYC is usually efficient in cleaning up snow. (Ok, everyone in NothEast knows about what happened over Christmas but that is unusual!!! And, it mostly effected the outer boroughs.) You won't be trekking through large amounts of snow. That being said, we are expecting significant snow fall today and tomorrow. But like I said, it will be cleaned up quickly.

The 3rd floor has a seperate section that is for clinical trials. I believe it is a fairly new section. It is quite nice and has very nice private chemo rooms. If you are not having IV infusions you will not have to utilize these rooms of course but this is where you will have your blood drawn. All GYN care is located on the 6th floor. This is where you will see Dr. S.

Where is the Marriott located??? There is a Hilton Double Tree on 51st and Lex. This is roughly 3 blocks away. I know someone who stayed there and they DO offer senior discounts and other discounts. I just called now for the heck of it and asked what the price would be to check in on Jan.18th and I was quoted $151.50 for a Queen non-smoking WITH a senior discount. I am, of course, assuming you are eligible for a senior discount.

Doubletree Metropolitan Hotel New York City
    569 Lexington Avenue
    New York, New York 10022
    1-212-752-7000

I have no idea what the Hotel is like but since it is a Hilton would assume it would be clean. It is also within walking distance of MSKCC and seems to have a garage to leave your car parked...extra fee I'm sure!!! If you do call ask if they have discounts.

Here is the link:
    http://www.metropolitanhotelnyc.com/

Also, I am now receiving my chemo in a different outpatient center so I will not be in NYC. I will probably have a scan in NYC the 3rd week of Feb. If you have an appointment then I will try to schedule my scan so we can meet. The next time I will be in is in March when I have a F/U with my surgeon.
  • Cafewoman53
    Cafewoman53 Member Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    How Exciting
    Good Luck and I hope everything goes smoothly for you. You are awwsome, try to do some sifghtseeing while you are there. Welcome to NY state !
  • vj1
    vj1 Member Posts: 150
    Options
    SUPER!
    Good luck Carlene, dress warm and try to get some enjoyment out of the trip. I know you will keep us posted.

Verna
  • Disneynutt
    Disneynutt Member Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Good for you.

Good for you.