Sick and need your thoughts on this.

Kat11
Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have had a bad cough for about 4 weeks now. Its really running me down besides were moving and I need to pack and stuff. I saw the doctor 2 weeks ago and he did an X Ray and lung are good. He really does not want me to take anything, because it can interfer with Tamoxifen. So 4 weeks later here I am really run down. I do not cough at night. Only when I move or active. You know breath. Did the tea and honey, steam. So Sister's have any cure all's.

Comments

• VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Kat .. a little different scerino, but I swear it will
    work for you. I've had a head cold .. sinus infection for 9 days and counting, thought I was going to choke with all the coughing and mucus .. "Vick's - Vapor" steamer .. my husband purchased at WalMart .. about $22.00. I've coughed --- very little in the last 3 nights.

Use the steamer in any room of your home .. day or night -- allowing the air flow into your lungs=== expanding along with relaxing muscles -- thus elimating that cough reflex.

Silly .. but everytime I cough .. I then take a deep breathe and hold for 15 seconds or longer .. In my mind I am expanding my lung capacity and no allowing them to fill up with fluids ..

Wish I had some hard evidence to provide my little methods..

Best of Luck ... Happy lung expanding

Vicki Sam
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Here's another weird one
    Here's another weird one that I can't explain, but I swear it works. I've used it on my husband and my kids.

Slather the soles of your feet with vicks vapo-rub before bed, put on some socks, go to sleep. I don't know how or why it works, but it's worked every time.

Hope you get better soon,

Linda
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Ask to see an allergist or pulmonologist
    Coughing is a symptom, not a disease, and has many causes so it can be hard to diagnose. For example, a cough after an upper resp infection can linger for weeks, but is usually worse at nights.

What comes immediately to mind (with having 2 asthmatics in the house) is asthma or reactive airway disease. Reactive airway disease is just a fancy way of saying asthma not caused necessarily by allergies, but can be triggered by other things such as exercise, dust and cold.

The first sign of reactive airway disease is often cough upon exertion. Note that wheezing is a later symptom and one we never saw with our daughter until extreme exertion (mountain climbing).

An easy way to check airway resistance, if this is your problem, is to purchase an inexpensive peak flow meter available at any drug store and costing <$15. The flow meter will come with a chart that shows what number you should be blowing up to for your age and sex. IF you are not blowing where you should be it is because you have bronchoconstriction.

Reactive airway can be caused either by allergies or cold, exercise and other triggers. It is often much worse during winter months. Cold air can induce coughing and a severe attack with many asthmatics.

What is very bad about igmoring reactive airway disease is that it often makes you more sedentary (because you are not breathing well upon exertion, coughing and fatigued) which makes everything else worse. Ignoring it can also cause longterm breathing problems such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

The great news is is that reactive airway disease is usually very easily treated either with a short acting inhaler before exertion, antihsitamines, singular (like an antihistamine but works on a different cause of inflammation) and/or inhaled steroids (which deliver steroids locally so few systemic effects). See link below (skip to treatment for >12yrs of age).

A Stepwise Approach to Asthma

So please see a doctor--preferably an allergist or pulmonologist first. Once you determine the cause, you will get better!

Symptoms of Exercised Induced Asthma

Hope this helps!
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440

Here's another weird one
    Here's another weird one that I can't explain, but I swear it works. I've used it on my husband and my kids.

Slather the soles of your feet with vicks vapo-rub before bed, put on some socks, go to sleep. I don't know how or why it works, but it's worked every time.

Hope you get better soon,

Linda

Vicks
    My sister Laura lives in Saudi and all the Saudi ladies use vicks for everything including cramps, it seems to work, and I have heard about putting it on your feet with socks also.
    Good advise.
    Hope your feeling better soon!
    Karie
  • SusanEliz
    SusanEliz Member Posts: 50
    Hi Kat
    Don't have any advice to offer, but it seems you are getting some good suggestions (who knew Vicks was so handy?lol) but I did want to send you some warm wishes for a speedy recovery. People forget how distracting and tiring a bad cough or cold can be until they get one.

Feel better!

Susan
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    SusanEliz said:

Hi Kat
    Don't have any advice to offer, but it seems you are getting some good suggestions (who knew Vicks was so handy?lol) but I did want to send you some warm wishes for a speedy recovery. People forget how distracting and tiring a bad cough or cold can be until they get one.

Feel better!

Susan

Hey Kat
    just to let you know, I had a cough last year that lasted for about 2 months. Everything was okay, just sinus...allergy issues. I had never had a cough that lasted so long so I just assumed that my body had a harder time after all it has been through to knock it out quick.

Believe it or not, you want to cough. You don't want it to settle in your lungs so physical activity is good to help you cough that out!

I sure hope and pray you feel better.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Kat
    I had a cough and laryngitis from mid November to early December. About 4 weeks. My primary care dr put me on an inhaler Symicort. It worked. My last chemo was postponed 2 weeks until I felt better. Now, here it is early January and I started to cough last week but now have a regular ole cold. I just started rads and feel awful. I take Mucinex. I do agree that Vicks works. I think I'll put some on my nose tonight. I do cough more when doing anything like bending, etc. I have cleaning solvent and exercise induced asthma. I hope you feel better soon.
    Char
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    interferr with Tomoxifen? never heard and I have been on for over year and half
  • Giant Poodles
    Giant Poodles Member Posts: 79

interferr with Tomoxifen? never heard and I have been on for over year and half

We do the vicks vapor rub on
    We do the vicks vapor rub on the arches of your feet before bed and wear socks and it works.
    Love, Rhonda
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508

Ask to see an allergist or pulmonologist
    Coughing is a symptom, not a disease, and has many causes so it can be hard to diagnose. For example, a cough after an upper resp infection can linger for weeks, but is usually worse at nights.

What comes immediately to mind (with having 2 asthmatics in the house) is asthma or reactive airway disease. Reactive airway disease is just a fancy way of saying asthma not caused necessarily by allergies, but can be triggered by other things such as exercise, dust and cold.

The first sign of reactive airway disease is often cough upon exertion. Note that wheezing is a later symptom and one we never saw with our daughter until extreme exertion (mountain climbing).

An easy way to check airway resistance, if this is your problem, is to purchase an inexpensive peak flow meter available at any drug store and costing <$15. The flow meter will come with a chart that shows what number you should be blowing up to for your age and sex. IF you are not blowing where you should be it is because you have bronchoconstriction.

Reactive airway can be caused either by allergies or cold, exercise and other triggers. It is often much worse during winter months. Cold air can induce coughing and a severe attack with many asthmatics.

What is very bad about igmoring reactive airway disease is that it often makes you more sedentary (because you are not breathing well upon exertion, coughing and fatigued) which makes everything else worse. Ignoring it can also cause longterm breathing problems such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

The great news is is that reactive airway disease is usually very easily treated either with a short acting inhaler before exertion, antihsitamines, singular (like an antihistamine but works on a different cause of inflammation) and/or inhaled steroids (which deliver steroids locally so few systemic effects). See link below (skip to treatment for >12yrs of age).

A Stepwise Approach to Asthma

So please see a doctor--preferably an allergist or pulmonologist first. Once you determine the cause, you will get better!

Symptoms of Exercised Induced Asthma

Hope this helps!

Cynthia, that's fabulous
    Cynthia, that's fabulous information, I learned a lot, thank you!
    jan
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    I just got over a nasty cold
    I just got over a nasty cold with cough that lasted ~14days and the cough was more prominent at night even using a vapourizer so I do send you my sympathies. I have never heard of being unable to take a cough medication for a temporary period of time due to interferring with Tamoxifen. I realize there may be some components in cough/cold meds that can inhibit Tamoxifen but the concern is usually if you are taking them on a continued long term basis. Do you have another doc that you can ask about this? Hope you get relief soon,
    hugs
    jan
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    SusanEliz said:

Hi Kat

Feel better!

Susan

Hoping and praying that you
    Hoping and praying that you can get rid of the cough soon. I don't understand why you can't take any medicine for it. I would think you could take something.

Hugs, Kylez
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    SusanEliz said:

Hi Kat

Feel better!

Susan

I'm sending prayers and hugs
    I'm sending prayers and hugs to you Kat. Hoping you feel better soon.

Lex
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

We do the vicks vapor rub on
    We do the vicks vapor rub on the arches of your feet before bed and wear socks and it works.
    Love, Rhonda

I didn't believe the Vicks
    I didn't believe the Vicks vapor rub until I tried it. And, it did work.