ca125 problems?

Options
nancy591
nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
My medical center has not been able to do any ca125 testing due to a nationwide problem with the 'reagents' or 'reactors' used. They said the FDA was involved and they are not able to get any 'good' reagents. Is anyone else having this problem. They are drawing my blood but saving it for testing. My blood was draw over 2wks ago and again today for ca125 testing.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Comments

• zinaida
    zinaida Member Posts: 221
    Options
    My CA125 was done december
    My CA125 was done december 21 with out problem [did jump from 20 to 86 in 10 weeks) :(
  • Lmm041
    Lmm041 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    CA-125
    My wife had hers done this past Monday. No mention of any problems with reagents here. Oh, test result was 3!
  • nancygt
    nancygt Member Posts: 86
    Options
    FDA Shortage website
    Drug Shortages - FDA.govApr 23, 2010 ... The article "FDA's Role in Responding to Drug Shortages” ... Practical Steps for Practitioners Facing Drug Shortage Situations ... Home · About FDA · Contact Us · A to Z Subject Index · Site Map · Web Site Policies ...

Current Drug Shortages - Drugs to be Discontinued - Resolved Drug Shortages
    www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/drugshortages/default.htm - Cached

I have been checking this website regularly-however I don't know if they would show the reagents for testing. I am supposed to start on Cisplatin and Doxirubicin in 10 days but due to shortages (still showing shortages on website), my doctor may go with single agent Doxil instead. It is really bad that decisions on which chemo drugs are to be used can be impacted this way. But the FDA even states on their website that they can not force companies to produce drugs (or produce more of them). I guess I am lucky that these are drugs the manufacturer does still intend to produce but got blindsided by increased demand. But if someone were down to their last viable drug, what a revolting development that would be.
  • leesag
    leesag Member Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    nancygt said:

FDA Shortage website
    Drug Shortages - FDA.govApr 23, 2010 ... The article "FDA's Role in Responding to Drug Shortages” ... Practical Steps for Practitioners Facing Drug Shortage Situations ... Home · About FDA · Contact Us · A to Z Subject Index · Site Map · Web Site Policies ...

Current Drug Shortages - Drugs to be Discontinued - Resolved Drug Shortages
    www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/drugshortages/default.htm - Cached

I have been checking this website regularly-however I don't know if they would show the reagents for testing. I am supposed to start on Cisplatin and Doxirubicin in 10 days but due to shortages (still showing shortages on website), my doctor may go with single agent Doxil instead. It is really bad that decisions on which chemo drugs are to be used can be impacted this way. But the FDA even states on their website that they can not force companies to produce drugs (or produce more of them). I guess I am lucky that these are drugs the manufacturer does still intend to produce but got blindsided by increased demand. But if someone were down to their last viable drug, what a revolting development that would be.

What about private lab
    What about private lab companies like labcorp or Quest? Perhaps you could call to find out what they charge and if your insurance covers them?

I just had my CA125 done on Wednesday without a problem at my cancer center.

Wish I could be of more help.

Hugs,

Leesa
  • VictoriaSF
    VictoriaSF Member Posts: 165
    Options
    leesag said:

What about private lab
    What about private lab companies like labcorp or Quest? Perhaps you could call to find out what they charge and if your insurance covers them?

Hugs,

Leesa

no issues for me
    i had my test done in SF - no problem,
    result is in - it is dropped from 55 to 29, since december 10
  • VictoriaSF
    VictoriaSF Member Posts: 165
    Options
    leesag said:

What about private lab

Hugs,

Leesa

no issues for me
    i had my test done in SF - no problem,
    result is in - it is dropped from 55 to 29, since december 10
  • JoanC
    JoanC Member Posts: 231
    Options
    CA 125
    My CA 125 was done Dec. 27th with no problems got results same day......6..yea
  • nancy591
    nancy591 Member Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    leesag said:

What about private lab

Hugs,

Leesa

not stressing
    heck, I'm not stressing it. At this point in my life it is nice to be in the dark for a little while.