To work or not to work...any suggestion?

Options
Friendinpenn
Friendinpenn Member Posts: 70
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Greetings everyone!

Real quick...stage IV and getting chemo for the third time in three years...cut two feet of colon, half my liver and the top of my lung...

Several weeks ago the cancer clinic admistrator out of nowhere visits my chemo booth and says he thinks I should stay on some kind of chemo regiment for the rest of my life...I think he was saying as a preventive maintenance...he then goes on to say that I would qualify for disability (social security ) and that he would write a letter that would approve it...

I still work part time...average 24 to 30 hours a week and I will admit that several days here at work I should have been home resting, on other days I have the continuous trip to the bathroom...(4 times today and it's only 10:43 am)....the days I don't work I recieve a disability payment from my employer's insurance policy...

So what do you think? I am pretty much financially secure luckily...

Anyone have any advice for me?

Comments

• pete43lost_at_sea
    pete43lost_at_sea Member Posts: 3,900 Member
    Options
    free advice as well mate!!!
    I am busy with family and business and friends and holidays and not working.
    Oh yeah and also treatment chemo and doctors appointments and tests they takes up time.

The bigest thing you can do is relax for your immune system, so if your job is stress free or very low it maybe a candidate. If your tired are you allowed to go to sleep straight away. this is my now rule, i take rest when my body needs it. I comes to listening to your bodies signals. I am feeling tired now so only a sentence left.

Honestly if your covered by your boss insurance are you able to cut back another day and make it rest, reflection, exercise time, maybe goto a support group, walk the dogs, have coffee with any time rich friends and send messages to other workaholics ( GOD HELP THEM )
    at least we know how precious life is, this is a really longggggggggggg sentence but its the last.

cheers,
    Pete
  • plh4gail
    plh4gail Member Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Decision's
    Friend, I am so new with my diagnosis and treatment, my words are only going to get lost with other's experience I'm afraid. I do wonder what kind of work you do and if you have the opportunity to call in or go home if not feeling well, or even work some from home? I had the same question to work or not, but only while on my 6 month's of folfox and dedided to stay home and get well. Best for me and the patients. For you, it's a much bigger decision. I am wondering, if you chose to try to work, if you wanted , would it then be harder for you to be approved for the long term? I don't think so as your Dr said he would write the letter. Also, why is he incouraging you to go on it and not keep life as normal as possible? But then again, I don't know much about your history except what you mentioned here, or how you feel physically or emotionally.

I wish you the best of luck with life, health, and decision's.

Love and hug's, Gail
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    Options
    Work or not work,
    that is the question and the answer can only come from you. Since each person cancer journey is different than others, what works for one might not work for another.

Questions to ask one-self:
    a) Do I enjoy my job
    b) Does the company treat me well and understand my current situation
    c) Since only working 24-30 hrs right now, could I work from home
    d) Do I want to stop work and become a couch potato
    e) What is my current financial situation
    f) Have you spoken with your doctors to get their input

What I learned during my treatment and recoveries, is to get back on your feet as soon as possible, continue to stay active; physically and mentally, embrace new hobbies and lifes treasures.

Then it could boil down to one simple question.

What makes you happy and smile
  • geotina
    geotina Member Posts: 2,111 Member
    Options
    Friend:
    A couple things come to mind. First one is health insurance. If your insurance is through your employer, poof, there goes health insurance unless you can get COBRA and you have to pay for that but there are some Obama programs out there to bring down the cost of COBRA if you qualify.

If you go on Social Security Disbility, Medicare will not kick in for two years. So, that is the biggest issue, insurance coverage, can you afford private insurance and is it available given your diagnosis.

Next, look at your social security print out you get in the mail, there it states what your social disability disability amount would be. Is this enough for you without dipping into your retirement or regular savings too much.

Since it appears you have disability coverage through work, is it possible, if you want to that is, to go on permanent disability and maintain health insurance and how long will the disability pay you. Some polices have a limit of 1 or 2 years. Some policies you have to be off of work for six months before they kick in.

The biggest question is do you want to quit working or do you enjoy your job, even part time.

Lots to think about so get out the calculator first then think about it a bit.

Take care - Tina
  • TMac52
    TMac52 Member Posts: 352
    Options
    geotina said:

Friend:
    A couple things come to mind. First one is health insurance. If your insurance is through your employer, poof, there goes health insurance unless you can get COBRA and you have to pay for that but there are some Obama programs out there to bring down the cost of COBRA if you qualify.

If you go on Social Security Disbility, Medicare will not kick in for two years. So, that is the biggest issue, insurance coverage, can you afford private insurance and is it available given your diagnosis.

Next, look at your social security print out you get in the mail, there it states what your social disability disability amount would be. Is this enough for you without dipping into your retirement or regular savings too much.

Since it appears you have disability coverage through work, is it possible, if you want to that is, to go on permanent disability and maintain health insurance and how long will the disability pay you. Some polices have a limit of 1 or 2 years. Some policies you have to be off of work for six months before they kick in.

The biggest question is do you want to quit working or do you enjoy your job, even part time.

Take care - Tina

Back to work!!
    Honestly I am back to work 75% of the time now only because I can not stand being at home any more. Work is helping me to feel productive again. I was out 8 weeks with the radiation then got back to work and just got into the swing of things again (although in serious pain)and had to take leave for the surgery. That was 3 months (im still in Pain) but I would rather be in pain at work than sitting around my house.
    I think it's an individual choice for all of us. It's how much pain and agrivation of our disease we can handle and still be productive. I am lucky I have a business partner that has been a friend since the 4th grade. He covers my arse in a big way (only when it comes to work LOL)!!!
    I like being at work but it is hard thats for sure.
    Good Luck with your decision.
    Tom
  • Kerry S
    Kerry S Member Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I am with Tom on this one
    You have to get off your **** and do things. Attitude of mind and body are major factors in this war with cancer. Use the mind and the body or loose them. I have to wait another week before I can cut firewood. It is killing me as I know I will get recharged when I can do it.

Kerry (old guy with an attitude)
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    geotina said:

Friend:

Take care - Tina

medicare
    My medicare kicked in after one year. Went on disability February of 2010, medicare starts February 1, 2011, this coming month.
  • sasjourney
    sasjourney Member Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    If you can do it then you should
    If you feel well enough to work I would do it. Sitting at home thinking about cancer is NOT fun and you should try to resume your life if you are able. I was working part-time before diagnosis and miss it, but I try to keep busy with my children and get out of the house as much as possible or I would go crazy. The mind can do terrible things so it is better to keep it occupied and not thinking about this disease and living your life. Hopefully, it was a job that you enjoyed with people that you liked working with.

I know it is a tough decision that only you can make. Good luck and take care.

Hugs,
    Sara
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Work
    Wow that is only a decision that you must make by yourself and to the best of your heart you can accept and not look back on your decision. Hope that your decision is the best for you.

Kim
  • 2bhealed
    2bhealed Member Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Curing Cancer is Full Time Job!
    Personally, I think healing from cancer and trying to cure it is a full time job in itself.

Just my $.02.

peace, emily
  • Kenny H.
    Kenny H. Member Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    2bhealed said:

Curing Cancer is Full Time Job!
    Personally, I think healing from cancer and trying to cure it is a full time job in itself.

Just my $.02.

peace, emily

Its hard when your not 100%
    Its hard when your not 100% so Id take it on how you feel ea week if you can get the time off.
    I havent worked since last May and miss it bad. Hope to go back right after Chemo is done.
    luckily I can get LTD thru my ins co at work & still carry my ins to. They dont want me back until Im 100% and off chemo as I drive out of town alot on the job. Guess it mainly depends on what you do at work.
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I was working so hard
    I think I forgot to die. I worked from the third month of chemo and 13 years on I still have not stopped. Cancer and chemo became more of a nauseating inconvenience than a reason not to work. People I worked with were for the most part not concerned about my state of health as long as they got their machines fixed. Plus I needed an income,when I went to social security in australia they told me cancer was considered a short term illness,hmmmmm. So i worked:)...Ron.
  • lisa42
    lisa42 Member Posts: 3,625 Member
    Options
    Stay home if you can do it!
    Hi,

It's up to you, of course, but if you don't need to work and you'll qualify for the disability, I'd say your "job" now is to get you rested and well!
    Chemo for life is a tough pill to swallow- one I've had to deal with myself, also as a fellow stage IVer. It all depends upon how difficult your work is, but I know having to run to the bathroom at work is no fun (and maybe no fun for your coworkers who have to share the bathroom with you, lol!) Not funny, but a reality.
    Your job is to take care of YOU. The hardest thing for me after quitting my job (I was a teacher) was feeling like I didn't have a purpose anymore. I'm a mom of three, so I definitely have a purpose and have plenty to do with my time, but I still dealt with feelings that were weird to me, like I wasn't "earning" my money anymore. I had the need to visit my workplace and talk with the people I knew there fairly often for a good year and a half. That has really cut down in the past year- I still enjoy talking with some friends from work, but I don't have the "need" anymore- I've moved on with my life.
    I really think you will stay healthier when you aren't having to fight fatigue OR be around everyone else's germs and worry about getting sick.
    Once I quit my job, I hardly ever got colds or illnesses anymore (all those germy kids sneezing, coughing, and wiping germs on the papers they handed in to me :)

Take care & go with your "gut" instinct on this one-

Lisa
  • djm_2010
    djm_2010 Member Posts: 52
    Options
    I think if you feel crappy
    I think if you feel crappy or tired you should just rest especially if you just had you're chemo, because wok could expose you and weaken you're immune system. I stopped working for 4 months last year when I was dx with rectal cancer because I had my chemoradiation which is far from our place and had my operation last nov. I'm already having my xelox chemo this January and I'm working partime at least 3x a week so that I will be preoccupied and not keep of thinking about my cancer. I take at least a week off when I have my oxaplatin drip and I really feel so weak. I'm lucky because I was able to claim money from my insurance and have relievers in my clinic so I still earn even when I'm not working. I think my work is for myself so I'll feel productive and be a part of the society again.. The rest of the time I just pray, reflect on my life and what I want to do or. Ganges that I have to make to make my life on earth more meaningful to me and others. Good luck on your decision and take it easy. Godbless you!
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Options
    TMac52 said:

Back to work!!
    Honestly I am back to work 75% of the time now only because I can not stand being at home any more. Work is helping me to feel productive again. I was out 8 weeks with the radiation then got back to work and just got into the swing of things again (although in serious pain)and had to take leave for the surgery. That was 3 months (im still in Pain) but I would rather be in pain at work than sitting around my house.
    I think it's an individual choice for all of us. It's how much pain and agrivation of our disease we can handle and still be productive. I am lucky I have a business partner that has been a friend since the 4th grade. He covers my arse in a big way (only when it comes to work LOL)!!!
    I like being at work but it is hard thats for sure.
    Good Luck with your decision.
    Tom

youry licky to have your arse covered
    i am sure your good sense of humour helps
    pete
  • pete43lost_at_sea
    Options
    Kerry S said:

I am with Tom on this one
    You have to get off your **** and do things. Attitude of mind and body are major factors in this war with cancer. Use the mind and the body or loose them. I have to wait another week before I can cut firewood. It is killing me as I know I will get recharged when I can do it.

Kerry (old guy with an attitude)

kerry can you get a chain saw
    wood chopping maybe dangerous!!!
    be careful if you get a chainsaw, i just got one, cannot wait to go bush, chop some firewood and have a camp fire
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    Options
    djm_2010 said:

I think if you feel crappy
    I think if you feel crappy or tired you should just rest especially if you just had you're chemo, because wok could expose you and weaken you're immune system. I stopped working for 4 months last year when I was dx with rectal cancer because I had my chemoradiation which is far from our place and had my operation last nov. I'm already having my xelox chemo this January and I'm working partime at least 3x a week so that I will be preoccupied and not keep of thinking about my cancer. I take at least a week off when I have my oxaplatin drip and I really feel so weak. I'm lucky because I was able to claim money from my insurance and have relievers in my clinic so I still earn even when I'm not working. I think my work is for myself so I'll feel productive and be a part of the society again.. The rest of the time I just pray, reflect on my life and what I want to do or. Ganges that I have to make to make my life on earth more meaningful to me and others. Good luck on your decision and take it easy. Godbless you!

You can stop working and still keep busy.
    You can stop working and still keep busy. You can volunteer, join an exercise class, read, and take interesting classes (photography, woodworking, dance, carving, cooking, painting), grocery shopping, work in the yard, wash the car, walk the dog, and complete home projects. You can sign up with a temporary agency and work when you feel like you can.

Full coverage insurance is the number one consideration.
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options

You can stop working and still keep busy.
    You can stop working and still keep busy. You can volunteer, join an exercise class, read, and take interesting classes (photography, woodworking, dance, carving, cooking, painting), grocery shopping, work in the yard, wash the car, walk the dog, and complete home projects. You can sign up with a temporary agency and work when you feel like you can.

Full coverage insurance is the number one consideration.

I preferred to work, loved
    I preferred to work, loved my job..felt that it benefited my employer and I, then hit fired! So...take care if yourself, minimal stress, rest and stay healthy
  • thxmiker
    thxmiker Member Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    working - My two cents
    I still work part time at my own company. On the days I can work I feel better having my head somewhere else. It can be difficult, but it is my pain and I can deal with it. I say still work and be productive as long as you can deal with the pain.

I am also an engineer and some times I just can not concentrate clearly. I am slower then usual, but I still like the challenges.
    Best Always, mike
  • chicoturner
    chicoturner Member Posts: 282
    Options
    Well, I took 7 months off
    Well, I took 7 months off work after my resection, but have been working pretty regular since. However, I do have lots of time off, I am a preschool teacher and we are on a regular school sched. with Christmas, Easter and Summer off. My docs all suggested I quit, but I was unhappy not working. I guess I would tell you to lst make sure you are doing what is right for you. Are you staying healthy or is it a constant battle? What does your family say? At least listen to them. Either way, you need to be happy. If you love working, maybe work is best, if you love your time off....well. Best to you. Jean