Options
2»

Comments

• sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    linda1120 said:

GREAT NEWS!
    After NINE hours in surgery the doctor came out with a smile and the news is extremely encouraging! God is Good! The cancer was encapsulated in the esophagus and the tumor had shrunk to nothing, as well as the lymph nodes were cancer free! The surgeons said they checked the organs and they all looked wonderful. They did biopsies while Jim was on the table and they did not find cancer. They will have to wait for pathology to come back to check all of the body tissue removed. The surgeons had a cardio-anesthesiologist and his resident working on Jim keeping his heart safe. Jim had a team of four surgeons working on him. The team approach was great. After twelve hours I was able to see him and considering everything he looked good. His color was good and I was able to see all of the incisions and tubes. He was still out, but I told him the good news, kissed him and told him how much I love him! I am exhausted and need to go to sleep. I will keep you updated. We will have more mountains and valleys in the recovery, but the biggest hurdle is over.

Thank you all for your prayers, I know God had his hand on Jim.

Linda

Awesome News!
    So happy for you and Jim! I don't think you could ask for a better outcome! Praise the Lord!
    Will be praying that Jim makes a fast, trouble free recovery and that the road ahead will have more smooth than bumpy spots. And praying you get a good nights sleep as well! :)

Blessings,
    Sally
  • K_ann1015
    K_ann1015 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    linda1120 said:

GREAT NEWS!
    After NINE hours in surgery the doctor came out with a smile and the news is extremely encouraging! God is Good! The cancer was encapsulated in the esophagus and the tumor had shrunk to nothing, as well as the lymph nodes were cancer free! The surgeons said they checked the organs and they all looked wonderful. They did biopsies while Jim was on the table and they did not find cancer. They will have to wait for pathology to come back to check all of the body tissue removed. The surgeons had a cardio-anesthesiologist and his resident working on Jim keeping his heart safe. Jim had a team of four surgeons working on him. The team approach was great. After twelve hours I was able to see him and considering everything he looked good. His color was good and I was able to see all of the incisions and tubes. He was still out, but I told him the good news, kissed him and told him how much I love him! I am exhausted and need to go to sleep. I will keep you updated. We will have more mountains and valleys in the recovery, but the biggest hurdle is over.

Thank you all for your prayers, I know God had his hand on Jim.

Linda

Hang in there
    WONDERFUL NEWS!

prayers you & Jim for an easy recovery!
  • linda1120
    linda1120 Member Posts: 389
    Options

Many Many Prayers
    Hello dear linda and Jim
    Will be praying and thinking of you on the 6th. May God be with you and give you the strength to get through this. All will be fine, you have God in your corner! Let us know how you make out. Hugs to both of you. Well, now that you have updated us....Great news!!! I told you so ;) Linda you go get some rest, and Jim take it slow and easy with your recovery! Praise the Lord.
    Tina in Va

Thank you and a update
    Jim's first day in ICU went fairly well. He is in severe pain, mostly from the chest tubes. They are unable to use the epidural due to it causing heart side effects. His pain wasn't managed in the beginning due to this and finally he was as comfortable as he could be. He developed a-fib and you have never seen so many doctors surround him! I am so impressed with OHSU! If Jim's a-fib doesn't correct itself he may have to have a cardio inversion. It is a waiting game. He will continue to be in ICU tomorrow due to his heart issues. The thoracic and gastric doctors are thrilled with his surgery and progress. I sat in a chair next to his bed for over six hours and he made me go back to the hotel. His heartrate would slow down as long as I was there next to him. I love that man so much!!!!!

Thank you all for your good wishes, it means so much. This truly becomes a EC family. Without you all I don't think that Jim would have made it through the Ivor-Lewis surgery they had planned where we live. I don't think his heart could have made it considering he is having issues after the MIE. I am hoping and praying that the heart issues will resolve themselves as he heals and his heart is not so stressed. God has gotten us this far and I know he will continue to guide Jim's progress.

I think I will take "Dr. Marshall's" advice and take that bath I was too tired to do last night!

Linda
  • spensir
    spensir Member Posts: 44
    Options
    linda1120 said:

Thank you and a update
    Jim's first day in ICU went fairly well. He is in severe pain, mostly from the chest tubes. They are unable to use the epidural due to it causing heart side effects. His pain wasn't managed in the beginning due to this and finally he was as comfortable as he could be. He developed a-fib and you have never seen so many doctors surround him! I am so impressed with OHSU! If Jim's a-fib doesn't correct itself he may have to have a cardio inversion. It is a waiting game. He will continue to be in ICU tomorrow due to his heart issues. The thoracic and gastric doctors are thrilled with his surgery and progress. I sat in a chair next to his bed for over six hours and he made me go back to the hotel. His heartrate would slow down as long as I was there next to him. I love that man so much!!!!!

Thank you all for your good wishes, it means so much. This truly becomes a EC family. Without you all I don't think that Jim would have made it through the Ivor-Lewis surgery they had planned where we live. I don't think his heart could have made it considering he is having issues after the MIE. I am hoping and praying that the heart issues will resolve themselves as he heals and his heart is not so stressed. God has gotten us this far and I know he will continue to guide Jim's progress.

I think I will take "Dr. Marshall's" advice and take that bath I was too tired to do last night!

Linda

Wow what a great God we have
    Wow what a great God we have watching over us. I am so happy for you two. I feel your love you share through your entries. I am so HAPPY for you and will continue to pray. Shirley